tt/ta/cart ratio?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
tt/ta/cart ratio?
« on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:29 pm »
What is a general rule of thumb for cost ratio of an analogue set up:  TT/tone arm/cartridge?  Mine is 50/30/20.  I got curious because of this listing.  http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=12724&keywords=NL021405  What TT and TA would you need to justify it?

JoshK

tt/ta/cart ratio?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:37 pm »
I am not sure how defineable this is, maybe a poll of each of our own setups is in order.  In my case it is 56/13/31.  IMO the cart makes the music so a good cart is key but the table and arm help the cart do its job.  The table needs to be able to do its job well and Rega 250 is a very good arm for 95% of the job, so only more money should be spent here after the other two are in order.  My $.02

meilankev

tt/ta/cart ratio?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2005, 03:08 pm »
woodsyi,

If they bought an expensive enough turntable/tonearm combo, the ratios could still be in line with your setup - even with a $13,000 cartridge.

I'm certainly one of those who feels there is no rule-of-thumb for this.  Of course, I'm one of those who spent double on my amp/preamp combo than I did on my speakers.  So what do I know?  :oops:

Kevin

shokunin

tt/ta/cart ratio?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2005, 05:03 pm »
For my latest and hopefully last TT for awhile the ratio has been

TT / Tonearm / Cartridge / Phonostage:

44% / 18% / 10% / 27%

Some of the pieces were bought used so the percentages are a a bit lower.

Tonto Yoder

tt/ta/cart ratio?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2005, 05:53 pm »
I think percentages are often different when buying analogue setups piecemeal rather than all at once: I've always tended to spend more on whatever component I've bought LAST.

As is, my ratio is 60%/20/20  (TT/TA/cart)  or
40%/14/14/32 (TT/TA/cart/ phonostage).

I bought the phonostage last, so percentage might be skewed in that direction; my next purchase will probably be a new cartridge maybe twice as much as the current one, again skewing the ratio towards the latest element.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
tt/ta/cart ratio?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:09 pm »
I was figuring the ratio by listed price.  I got my TT set up used as a package deal and then I did some upgrading and servicing on different parts.  IMHO, using list price gives better standard for comparison since some of us get better bargains then others in the used market.  I do agree that one spend more on the lastest component.  That's just natural as we constantly look to replace the weakest link with a better one.  I just replaced my phono stage and I notice a big difference.  So my TT/TA/CART/PS ratio using list price is 40/20/16/24.