VPI New HW-40

twitch54

VPI New HW-40
« on: 21 Oct 2018, 09:34 pm »
Any thoughts on VPI's latest offering ?

https://www.vpiindustries.com/copy-of-prime-signature-1

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: VPI New HW-40
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2018, 09:40 pm »
Price?

mav52

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2018, 10:11 pm »
Way outside my price range.     :(
I splurged last week on a new/old table.  A Victor TT-81 set me back $410 to my door.  I wonder how much better the $15000 VPI will sound??? :popcorn:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2018, 10:31 pm »
Wonder why the link says copy of prime signature 1?

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2018, 11:56 pm »
Well VPI is only going to make 400 @ $15,000 US

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/vpi-industries-hw-40-direct-drive-turntable-limited-edition

IMO, 15k is a bit much, since the modern technics 1200 msrp's @ 4k, granted the VPI arm is probably better but I doubt if the tt itself is ......

ps - like your '67 C2, what motor ?

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:08 am »
IMO, 15k is a bit much, since the modern technics 1200 msrp's @ 4k, granted the VPI arm is probably better but I doubt if the tt itself is ......

ps - like your '67 C2, what motor ?

l71

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:50 am »
Actually, I think this is a move in the right direction for VPI.  The Classic Direct is the best TT they have ever made and this one has an improved DD motor with a better arm at half the price.  Good for them.  I love VPI's tables but hate their unipivot arms.  if they are finally moving to a gimbaled "printed" arm, that is a big plus.

I have three TT's right now - a VPI HW-19 Mk. IV with a Fidelity Research FR-64fx arm, a SOTA Sapphire with a Sumiko MDC-800 "The Arm", and a Denon DP-75 in a custom plinth with a Jelco 750 arm.  The Denon is the most unique and believe it or not, has the best bass.  The SOTA and VPI belt-drive TT's are pretty close.  I'd trade all three in on one of these HW-40's if I could mount my MDC-800 on it. 

$15K large is too much for my budget, though - I'm saving up for the new C8 Mid-Engine Corvette - more torque (LOL !!).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2018, 11:36 am »
I never liked the fiddly unipivots either, but they crashed and burned with their last four point gimbal with the arm on the Traveler.  I'm not in the market for a table at that price, but if I was I'd wait a bit for the reviews on the arm.  Harry is a genius with a real sense of what works and what the market wants, I'm not so sure about the direction Matt will take the company.

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2018, 01:28 pm »

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2018, 03:35 am »
l71

Humma-humma !  One of the great Corvette motors !  In my book it's right up there with the L88, LS7 and the mythical ZL-1 !!  Take good care of it - nobody is making anything like it today.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2018, 05:28 am »
I never liked the fiddly unipivots either, but they crashed and burned with their last four point gimbal with the arm on the Traveler.  I'm not in the market for a table at that price, but if I was I'd wait a bit for the reviews on the arm.  Harry is a genius with a real sense of what works and what the market wants, I'm not so sure about the direction Matt will take the company.

I had an early JWM 10.5 and it brought to mind my bad experiences with a Unitrac.  In any case I compared it with an FR-64fx on my HW-19 Mk. IV and it was no contest, especially in the bass.  I sold the VPI arm and never looked back.  Low compliance cartridges and unipivots just don't mix.

I think Matt's head and heart are in the right place, and Harry is still there doing some design engineering.  VPI needed a new spark after Harry lost Sheila - I am hoping Matt will successfully carry on.  The Weisfelds are good people and the industry needs small family businesses like VPI to succeed.

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:37 pm »
I think this new design is going to be well received.  I do wonder if $15k is too much for the market to bear but that's for each person to decide.  I do not like the limited run concept.  What is the point of that if you have designed something special.  Either it is good enough to withstand the test of time or not.

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:54 pm »
Humma-humma !  One of the great Corvette motors !  In my book it's right up there with the L88, LS7 and the mythical ZL-1 !!

to put it in the 'rarefied' air of the L88 one would have ordered it with the aluminum head option (L89), for only 16 did ! 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2018, 02:04 pm »
I had an early JWM 10.5 and it brought to mind my bad experiences with a Unitrac.  In any case I compared it with an FR-64fx on my HW-19 Mk. IV and it was no contest, especially in the bass.  I sold the VPI arm and never looked back.  Low compliance cartridges and unipivots just don't mix.

I think Matt's head and heart are in the right place, and Harry is still there doing some design engineering.  VPI needed a new spark after Harry lost Sheila - I am hoping Matt will successfully carry on.  The Weisfelds are good people and the industry needs small family businesses like VPI to succeed.

I really like Harry a lot, we've had some very pleasant and informative conversations at audio shows.  Matt has also been very kind to me spending all the time I needed to answer all my questions honestly and completely.  And I'm aware Harry is keeping his hands in design and development during his retirement.  My only concern is with the nuts and bolts parts of the company.  Customer service used to be the paradigm of what cs should be, of late those standards have fallen somewhat short of previous experiences.  Nothing damning or deal breaking, but noticable enough to wonder where it may go in the future.

toocool4

« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2018, 05:04 pm »
I think this new design is going to be well received.  I do wonder if $15k is too much for the market to bear but that's for each person to decide.  I do not like the limited run concept.  What is the point of that if you have designed something special.  Either it is good enough to withstand the test of time or not.

$15K is nothing for a limited run turntable and i bet they will fly out the door. The chances are they will change hands for more when the limited run is over.

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2018, 05:12 pm »

Until you hear this turntable, you can't say how good it sounds or have your heard it and compared it to the Technics?

The Technics is not a limited run and they will make there money back in a long run, the VPI's money will need to come back in the 400 units they are going to make.

twitch54

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2018, 06:44 pm »
Until you hear this turntable, you can't say how good it sounds or have your heard it and compared it to the Technics?

you're right, but I'll take the bet, how about you ?

The Technics is not a limited run and they will make there money back in a long run, the VPI's money will need to come back in the 400 units they are going to make.

I understand that, for their are many folks out that that will 'assume' the VPI to be better and perhaps with the VPI offering and it's arm it will be, as it should given the huge price differential. But I am still willing to bet once the specs are published the table itself is no better than the Technics.

For the record, I own a VPI.

toocool4

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2018, 07:23 pm »
you're right, but I'll take the bet, how about you ?

I understand that, for their are many folks out that that will 'assume' the VPI to be better and perhaps with the VPI offering and it's arm it will be, as it should given the huge price differential. But I am still willing to bet once the specs are published the table itself is no better than the Technics.

For the record, I own a VPI.

Not sure what you are asking me to take a bet on?

Personally for me i don't care about specs, i use my ears those are the only tools that matters to me.

toocool4

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2018, 07:31 pm »
Just found this vid on Analog Planet the unvailing of the new turntable https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUCq8oeR2Rmz86juWwzFVSNA&v=vbQh19f216w