TT what to do's???

John Casler

TT what to do's???
« on: 19 Jul 2004, 10:40 pm »
Hi Guys, while I don't consider myself a "neophyte", it has been a while since I have kept up on TTs, arms and carts.

Here is my situation:

I currently have in my possession a Denon DP755 (direct drive) with a Shure SME3009 Series II Tone arm w/ Sumiko BluePoint

I also have a Denon DP30 L II (also direct drive) w/ Dynavector Karat Ruby cart.

As a hobbyist/dealer I just found out that one of my distributors has Thorens Tables.  Additionally I can get AudioQuest Arms at dealer pricing.

I am not seriously into vinyl but do have around 300 primo albums of some very quality recordings, many imports, MFSL, and such, with low to NO hours on them.

So my questions are:

1) What Thorens Table/Arm would surpass the performance of my DP755/SME

2) or What Thorens/AudioQuest Arm?

3) Or Should I keep what I have, and recalibrate the arm?

4) If I should sell what I have and get new, what is the DP755/SME worth used?  What is the DP30L II worth used?

The Thorens I looked at were the:

TD295 MKIII ($899 list)
TD850 ($2199 list)
TD2010 ($2499 list)

I'd rather keep the cost down considering the amount of vinyl I listen to, but if my used equipment is worth anything, I might look into the higher end.

Any thoughts?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
TT what to do's???
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2004, 01:58 am »
Hey John, I'll make it easy on you.  You can store your "primo" vinyl at my place and come by to listen to it whenever you want! :lol:

I'd say fire up what you got and enjoy it for a while.  If you find yourself digging into vinyl more and more, then start throwing some bucks at your rig.  I've got some simple setup tools that can get get your table(s) dialed in.  And I can possibly get get my hands on a denneson protractor and digital tracking force gauge that can REALLY get things dialed in.

My vinyl rig is modest but still sounds great when I use it.  Just last night I fired it up and was rockin the house with Rush-Moving Pictures after I got back from the meeting.  

Russ

WEEZ

TT what to do's???
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:43 am »
John,

I agree w/ Russ- your tt/arm/cart set-up should be fine. The star is the SME arm. Maybe just set the tt on a wall shelf, or maple block for isolation; adjust everything carefully; and enjoy.

As far as the Audioquest arms are concerned- they're fine- and I have one (the PT-9). The Audioquest uses a Linn mount- so if you decided to try the Audioquest- you would have to find a blank armboard for your Denon and find someone who has a Linn template. But, like I said- your SME arm is your star- so why change it?

As far as the new Thorens are concerned- if they are the 3-point suspended type like the older models- then I would recommend them. If not, then I would stay with your Denon; or go with VPI.

If your Blue Point needs replacing- I would go with Dynavector for mc; or consider a Grado (especially with the Audioquest arm). The low-output wood bodies are wonderful in the midrange. Very full-bodied and rich. Even the high-output wood bodies are great.

The SME arms (particularly the 3009) always worked well with the Shure V15 series carts. So that's a possibility for a high output mm.

Proper set-up and isolation; clean records; and a decent phono section and buddy- that's musical bliss.

Good luck; Enjoy; and keep us posted :!:

WEEZ

John Casler

TT what to do's???
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: Russtafarian
Hey John, I'll make it easy on you.  You can store your "primo" vinyl at my place and come by to listen to it whenever you want! :lol:

I'd say fire up what you got and enjoy it for a while.  If you find yourself digging into vinyl more and more, then start throwing some bucks at your rig.  I've got some simple setup tools that can get get your table(s) dialed in.  And I can possibly get get my hands on a denneson protractor and digital tracking force gauge that can REALLY get things dialed in.

My vin ...

Hey Russ,

Well I do have good storage :lol:   I was just wondering about my tables.

And I have been firing the DP755 up, but my question was more to "how much better the "newer" tables are"?

I do have to "re-calibrate" the arm and add new damping fluid.

Looks like most likely I should be looking into a new cartridge instead.

Thanks.

John Casler

TT what to do's???
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:44 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
John,

I agree w/ Russ- your tt/arm/cart set-up should be fine. The star is the SME arm. Maybe just set the tt on a wall shelf, or maple block for isolation; adjust everything carefully; and enjoy.

Hi Weez,

Thanks for the info.  I actually have the table sitting on a 200# granite table stand, with a 100# cut limestone top, so it is on a very stable platform.

And I didn't mean to sound like it doesn't sound good.

Cannonball by SuperTramp is absolutely great.

Right now the Sumiko Blue Point is on that table/arm, but I do have the Dynavector Karat Ruby.

I should try it too.

Thanks

WEEZ

TT what to do's???
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2004, 04:45 pm »
let's see... 200lbs of granite plus 100lbs of limestone... :o

DAMN!

John Casler

TT what to do's???
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2004, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
let's see... 200lbs of granite plus 100lbs of limestone... :o

DAMN!

Yeah, strangely enough I drove up to  a furniture store as one of the delivery trucks was unloading a large "broken" granite diningroom table base.

You know one of those stone tables with a glass top.  It really only had a 12 inch chunk broken out, but they were going to chuck it.

It was a b*tch getting it in my car, and the chunk was "glued" back in and that side goes toward the wall.

Then a client of mine puts stone patios, walkways, fireplaces and such in the homes of "the Rich and Famous".  She had an extra limestone patio block, which sits on top of the granite base.

The expression "solid as a rock" applies to this set up :mrgreen:

Malcolm Fear

TT what to do's???
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2004, 08:35 am »
Hi John

I've been a Linn Sondek, Koetsu person for 25 years.
I recently went to USA for a holiday. I made my way to Boulder and had a listen to a Teres turntable at Chris Brady's. The best sounds I have ever heard. You ought to have  a listen before you decide on upgrading.

I'm trying to afford one.

regards

Rocket

tt recommendation
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2004, 08:55 am »
Hi Malcolm,

Funny you should mention that as i checked out the teres turntable yesterday.  I seem to be forever saving money for another hifi purchase  :( .

regards

rocket

doug s.

• makin' music
TT what to do's???
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2004, 06:32 pm »
john,

what does *keep the cost down* mean?   :wink:   if ya wanna do appreciably better than ya awreddy have now, & don't wanna spend more than, say, $1k, i'd shop used, even considering "dealer pricing".  look for older well tempered, oracle, vpi, sota, linn, etc...  i'm sure others can chime in w/something i dint mention.  also, there was an old maplenoll athena that got no bids on ebay a while back - *excellent* deck, if a bit finicky.  i'd check to see if it's still awailable.  a $3k new turntable could be in the same sonic ballpark...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5708897124&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

for budget arm, (for standard decks), i *really* like the o-l modded rb250.  re: that dynavector cartridge, i'd definitely check it out, but iirc, it's a way-low output mc, so be sure ya have a good fono stage.

one thing to be aware of - improve yer winyl rig, & ya may find the amount of winyl ya listen to goes up a bit...   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

John Casler

TT what to do's???
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2004, 03:52 am »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

As a dealer, I would rather pick up one of the lines I have access to so I can help my clients get them too.

At this point, it looks like a new cartridge is the answer.

Without too much trouble I can get a SHure V15VXMR from one of my distributors, and I spoke today to the one that carries the Shelter 501.

I think the Shure might get the inital nod, since it is 1/2 the price of the shelter.

If anyone knows anything about this cart, let me know.

Thanks again for the responses.  I think if I upgrade the table it would be to this one, but that may take some time.

hifitommy

oh so PRETTY
« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2004, 08:12 pm »
i had forgotten that thorens came up with a new line of tables.  taking on the thorens line seems like a great idea for you, it shouldnt take long for you to get hooked on vinyl either.  TTs arent as easy to use as cd/sacd etc but the sonic and emotional difference is hard to ignore.  

i was sort of thinking that it would be nice to have a local sota dealer here in so cal (i dont think there IS one).  i recent ly snagged a sota sapphire/mmt combo to replace my vpi hw19III/smeIV/mit cable with WBTs (now for sale, see AA classifieds).

i just love to swap cartridges and the sme is a fixed headshell design.  i am not sure that MMTs are available new nor whether there are other arms with universal headshell capability.