Recommendations for surrounds/upgrades for HT2-TL HT System

gchuva

I am planning on ordering an HT system for my living room from Salk.  The current plan is to get the HT2-TL system in hand-rubbed gloss black (to match my plasma).  I am also planning on ordering 2 Fathom 113's as the subs.  I was also considering the Rythmik or HSU subs, but the Fathoms are in the lead right now for appearance and SQ reasons.

There are a variety of options for the surround speakers, from the HT1's to the Song Surrounds.  Does anyone recommend one surround over another?  Initially the surounds will be on top of furniture, but in a couple of years I will probably move and they will be mounted on the wall.  Planning on a 5.2 system, but may go to 7.2 someday.

Also, there are a bunch of customization options with Salk, such as sonicap upgrades.  Any recommendations on which upgrades are worthwile. 

Thanks, for your help. 

Nuance

Re: Recommendations for surrounds/upgrades for HT2-TL HT System
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2009, 06:24 pm »
For surrounds, go with a top ported HT1's (if available).  That way you can set 'em on top of furniture, then mount them down the road.  This will also achieve a full timbre match all the way around.  I know Jim made some top ported SongSurrounds, so hopefully he can do the same with the HT1's.  Otherwise the SongSurrounds would work well.

Your choice in the F113's is a good one.  That subwoofer is hard to be IMO.  Enjoy!

OgOgilby

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:35 pm »
For surrounds, go with a top ported HT1's (if available).  That way you can set 'em on top of furniture, then mount them down the road.  This will also achieve a full timbre match all the way around.  I know Jim made some top ported SongSurrounds, so hopefully he can do the same with the HT1's.  Otherwise the SongSurrounds would work well.

Your choice in the F113's is a good one.  That subwoofer is hard to be IMO.  Enjoy!

Top ported? My wife would use it for a flower vase :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:36 pm »

Top ported? My wife would use it for a flower vase :wink:
haha!  Maybe it was bottom ported...can't remember now.  Either way, Jim will hook gchuva up.

gchuva

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2009, 02:20 am »
There was also a sealed HT1 option.  What's the advantage to ported?

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 05:26 am »
^ Ah yes, sealed.  Well, sealed means no port, so you can put it pretty much anywhere and not worry about a port effecting the sound.  The one drawback of a sealed speaker is that it won't reach as low in the bass department, but these will be rears so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'd go sealed HT1's, especially if you listen to any multi-channel music.