Equipment racks

floresjc

Equipment racks
« on: 25 Apr 2009, 07:07 pm »
What are people using to house their stuff? In particular, I'm quite interested in home theater arrangements, since my electronics, tv and speakers all live within a couple feet of each other. My setup now is pretty lame, I have my sources on cheap mdf stands from Target, the plasma on an old sony stand, and my receiver is on the floor. I'd like to buy a nice rack to hold the new pre-amp/amps on one side, and a simliar rack for my sources on the other. The center and TV can be in the middle. How else have people done it? I thought about buying a really tall rack and putting everything in there except the tv and center, but I think its less appealing to the wife. If anyone has brands they can recommend that have WAF and sturdy builds, let me know.

JP78

Re: Equipment racks
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:15 pm »
floresjc - is waf a huge issue?  if so i think it's tough to go wrong from proper rackmount enclosures, or the flexibility of a salamander synergy system.  i'm a big fan of no visible wires or large open gaps...but for some people that's totally not an issue.  i love the smooth, flush look of rackmounts with custom faceplates for no seams.  of course, if you have audiophilia nervosa, this probably isn't the best option!

good luck!

earthbound

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 09:07 pm »
I'm putting together a build-it-yourself solid wood mission-style coffee table kit with lower shelf, and open all around except for slats on the sides. Pretty cheap, good access, sturdy, and should hold the TV and all the audio gear I have while providing good ventilation.

rydenfan

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:22 pm »
Check out the Synergy line from Salamander design. It hold a lot of stuff and has a nice WAF factor.

floresjc

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:42 pm »
Its not a huge huge issue, can you recommend a proper rackmount?

sanlanman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2009, 02:03 am »
If you want to go TRUE rack mount, visit www.middleatlantic.com. They will even make custom rack mount adapter kits for non rack mount spec equipment. If plain black metal is not your style, you could probably find a wood worker who could make wood panels to go on the rack. As an alternative, Jim has shown some nice cabinetry that he can either make or get made (I forget which) to go with his speaker veneers. So, discussing this with Jim is one option. Also, try www.standoutdesigns.com for more cabinets.
If you like lots of nice wood in standard hardwoods like oak and cherry, Google the phrase "Amish TV Cabinet" or something similar. There are a lot of really nice high quality entertainment centers built by the Amish in eastern Ohio and Pennsylvania. Or PM me and I will look for my list of contacts around Berlin and Middleburg Ohio.

You could take my approach. I drew up my "ideal" A/V cabinet plan, and sent it to 4 local cabinet shops for pricing.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2009, 03:32 am »
if you want true isolation that will show you just how good your equipment is

Silent Running Audio (read their audiophiles comments)
or do a forum search on audiogon

the Craz rack with VR or Ohio stands is incredible
my biggest upgrade ever
not cheap but anything truly effective never is

for an inexpensive setup 
get a salamander rack like a twin 30 (no real isolation but great looking and flexible) and SRA VR custom made stands under cd, amp and pre ($300-500 each)
it will take all the stress out of the components and you will hear what they and your salks are really capable of and swear you made a major component upgrade.

Kevin does resonance work for US nucleur submarines
great stuff

rydenfan  - that triple 30 salamander with open top for center channel looks real nice, well done!
also can't help but notice your JL Audio Fathom - I really enjoy mine

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2009, 03:05 pm »
Here a few pics of Tom's beautiful rack and system:

I don't have the Craz rack, but the platforms definitely work.

George