Standard Satin vs Rubbed High Gloss Black

gchuva

Standard Satin vs Rubbed High Gloss Black
« on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:43 am »
How different does the Satin Black look from the rubbed gloss black? I have your typical black plasma, and will be getting a Piano black sub from HSU. I'd rather not spend the money on the rubbed high gloss black, but will if the satin black will look different than the rest of my decor. Any views?

floresjc

Re: Standard Satin vs Rubbed High Gloss Black
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 10:00 am »
Well, sounds to me like the satin black may not be too far off the mark. Depending on who makes your plasma, it could be really shiny, or rather matte. My Pioneer Elite plasma has quite a shine to it, as do the Samsung Touch of Colors, but LG and some of the others not so much. The satin finish is not a matte finish, at least on the veneers. It has a nice sheen to it, but its not close to the high gloss fine instrument grade shine. I personally wouldn't order high gloss black, because I think the satin would go with most tv's well, and I don't want excess reflection.

rahimlee54

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2009, 10:04 am »
Satin inst very shiny, it is more matte but looks very good.  I think Jim can spray something up there that will give you the shiny look but wont be as nice as hand rubbed, although I am not sure what it is called.  Just email or call him to ask.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:01 pm »
Dull, matte, satin, semi-gloss and gloss at various levels can all be sprayed as final topcoat.  We normally spray satin as it gives wood a more natural look. Gloss can look a little like plastic in comparison.

But there are two other issues here that cause us to prefer satin.

The first is called orange peel.  When you shoot any finish, the spray is made up of tiny droplets.  When these hit a surface, they tend to flatten out, but never get completely flat.  Close examination reveals  a surface made up of hills and valleys that look somewhat like orange peel. 

The second is dust.  Dust and finish carry opposite electrical charges.  So any dust in the air (and there will be dust no matter how clean the spray booth happens to be) will be attracted to the finish before it flashes over. 

With satin, neither of these surface imperfections are generally a problem.  But with gloss, these imperfections are quite visible - especially on darker surfaces, the worst of which is black.

The solution is to hand rub them to high gloss.  This process begins by sanding the surface flat and continuing to sand with higher and higher grits until you are at about 3000 grit.  The surface is then polished until all the sanding marks are polished out and the surface is like glass.  That is a true piano finish.  Most finished being sold as piano gloss are simply gloss topcoat. 

If you ever see a show car and wonder why you can't get that kind of shine on your car, wonder no more.  The show car is rubbed out to high gloss.  Your car is just shot with a gloss topcoat.

Of course, we can shoot any topcoat a customer wants.  I just want to make sure they understand what they will be getting.

- Jim

gchuva

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:20 pm »
I have a Pioneer plasma

fishinbob

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:06 pm »
Recent photo of my satin black RTs

a little closer

Nothing short of hand rubbed with get even close to the finish on the KURO bezel.
Just want to say that I do very nicely with mine.  :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:19 pm »
I really like that black and silver look!

gchuva

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:39 pm »
So the verdict is that for a Pio plasma, rubbed gloss is the best match?

fishinbob

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:50 pm »
I really like that black and silver look!
Thank you :D

So the verdict is that for a Pio plasma, rubbed gloss is the best match?
No doubt there, but for my money/purposes the satin is the better. My speakers stand proud of the screen so the glare potential with the gloss could be a distraction. Plus all the gloss may look a little redundant IMHO. Although I just bought a glossy new receiver to match the Kuro :lol:

OgOgilby

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2009, 06:24 pm »
Hi fishinbob,

Wow, those are great looking speakers! Very classy color combination.

fishinbob

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2009, 01:37 pm »
Hi fishinbob,

Wow, those are great looking speakers! Very classy color combination.

Thank you, I'm quite proud of these beauties.  Jim sort of informed me of their uniqueness. He had four silver LCYs left. I don't know where the other two are but I believe my humble satin blacks are one-offs. Thank you Jim Salk for the suggestion. aa