Pls post HT2 "new Transmission Line" review!

fsimms

Re: Pls post HT2 "new Transmission Line" review!
« Reply #80 on: 21 Mar 2009, 11:00 pm »
One comment I'd like to make that *should* hit home with some of you.  I've auditioned speakers in my home that I just could not get any emotional attachment to; I just didn't care.  However, that is all I seem to have with these HT2's.  Everything I seem to listen to just grabs me.  It amazing.  Does this make sense or am I crazy?

On the subject of "everything", I've read comments from people with ST's that stated they were finding that a lot of their music sounded bad do to poor recording quality.  I don't feel this way at all.  I thought my B&W 805S's were forgiving to poor material, but these Salks are far more forgiving.  Great recordings sound very special, but some poorer stuff I have is really decent.  Sure you can tell it's not great, but I used to not play it.  Now I certainly can and it sounds relatively good.  I was really concerned about this, but it's just not an issue.

If you are crazy then I am crazy too.  :roll:

Your experience is the same that I have had for 5 years with my HT1's.  You described it very well.

Bob

funkmonkey

« Reply #81 on: 21 Mar 2009, 11:15 pm »
As I recall the opening in the back of the Song Tower is referred to as a "vent" and does not act the same as a port. I was told that the Song Towers can be placed relatively close to the wall. That is what I am actually getting at with my question. Can the HT2's "TL" version be placed as close as the ST's? Is there a rear port or is it a vent like the ST's?

I think so Bob, my guess it that it is same round "vent" used in the STs.  You can just see the top of it under the binding posts in this shot:

And, because it is a very similar design to the SongTowers, I would assume that placement restrictions would be equally as flexible.  Terry you certainly have no reason for jealousy any more.  :D  If the HT2-TLs had been around when I ordered my HT3s I most likely would have chosen them instead, to save a little money.  They are said to reach my requirement of 30Hz (well at least very close to that) that covers 5 and 6 string electric bass guitars, and all but the lowest of the piano, subterranean hip-hop and electronic bass flushes, and of course the ultra low pipe organ...   So, I think it is safe to say that you shouldn't need a sub for 98% of music listening.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Funk

TJHUB

« Reply #82 on: 21 Mar 2009, 11:50 pm »
Thanks for the grill on pics Terry. I'm pretty sure my wife will want the grills on all the time, but yours look amazing with the grills off! I was very close to picking a similar finish, but my wife liked the Santos Rosewood - I hope they look as good as yours do.

Interesting comparison to the 805S's. I was considering the 804's and listened to the a few times but they never quite did it for me (not sure why). Plus I just didn't think the B&W's 804's were worth the price. I am feeling pretty good about choosing the Salks now after seeing your pics and reading your comments about them - and speaking with Jim of course. The wait is really getting tough now. When I spoke to Jim on Friday he told me it looks like our HT2 TL's are 2-3 weeks away.

BTW, how did you decide on going with Parasound gear?

-Greg

I agree with you on the B&W's.  Nice speakers, but I can assure you that they don't come remotely close to the sound of the HT2's or ST RT's.

I feel bad for you on the wait.  The last week or so is the hardest. 

On the Parasound stuff.  My goal is a really great 2-channel setup that is home theater capable.  As such, I wanted to find a dedicated 2-channel preamp with home theater bypass, a great 2-channel amp, and a receiver with all the latest toys.  In this scenario, the 2-channel amp is always driving my main speakers while the receiver powers the center and surrounds.  What could be better?

I picked Parasound because a couple of guys I know were saying how great it is (you know who you are).  After researching for quite a while, you end up finding out that the Parasound 2100 is a rare bird with 2-channel bass management and home theater bypass all in one simple and rather inexpensive dedicated 2-channel preamp.  I'm a guy who likes matching gear, so the Parasound 2250 amp looked real attractive.  I got both new at an incredible steal!  The receiver I am considering is the Onkyo TX-SR876.

This being a transmission line design, can you tell us what the port looks like? Is round or rectangular? You don't *have* to post a pic, but if you feel up to it...

Thanks in advance.

The port is round and appears to be exactly the same as the one used on the ST's. 

Sorry, Terry - I snuck in last night after you and the family went to bed and hugged and kissed your speakers all night.  Just go look; my lips prints will still be there.  :D

You SICKO!!  :P :P

As I recall the opening in the back of the Song Tower is referred to as a "vent" and does not act the same as a port. I was told that the Song Towers can be placed relatively close to the wall. That is what I am actually getting at with my question. Can the HT2's "TL" version be placed as close as the ST's? Is there a rear port or is it a vent like the ST's?

I'm not qualified in any way to answer this question, but my ports are about 12" from my front wall.  The side walls are rather far away, so they don't play as much of a role in bass response as closer walls.  I plan to do some experimenting with placement when things settle down for me a bit.

I heard something I didn't like from my new Parasound gear, so I was forced to dig out my measuring equipment.  If you recall, I mentioned that I was hearing a peak in FR around the mid 30's, well you all need to have a little more respect for my "golden ears".  :roll: :wink:

The graph below is of each speaker playing by itself.  The left speaker is blue and the right is red:

As I also stated earlier, I'm positive that's my room causing the peak.  I plan to move the speakers a bit more off the front wall to see if the FR settles down a bit.  Other than that, these speakers measure flatter than ANY speaker I've measured in my home.  I expected to be surprised and I am!

FYI, the measurement was taken at my listening position.  I use Room EQ Wizard with a Behringer 8000 mic. 

bigbwb

« Reply #83 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:09 pm »
Terry,

Whats the verdict on the parasound gear?  Just curious about your thoughts on the 2100 mostly.

Later,
B

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #84 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:19 pm »
...  These are BIG speakers. 

Are they the same size as the "calssic" HT2's at 40"x9"x14", or are they bigger because of the transmission line cabinet design?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #85 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:26 pm »
Terry,

I see your thinking of the Onkyo TX-SR876, which is a great choice.

The Onkyos have a PURE AUDIO mode which I use all the time in 2 ch listening mode....

Why would you need the HT passthru if the Onkyo will do the same thing?

Alex

rydenfan

« Reply #86 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:28 pm »
The Onkyo's "pure audio" mode and a 2 channel pre-amp are most certainly not the same thing.

jsalk

« Reply #87 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:45 pm »
nyc_paramedic -

...  These are BIG speakers. 

Are they the same size as the "calssic" HT2's at 40"x9"x14", or are they bigger because of the transmission line cabinet design?

The TL design requires a cabinet that is 44 1/2" tall rather than 40".  If we were to use 3/4" MDF as in the regular version, the 14" depth would remain the same.  But with all the HT2 TL's we have built to date, we used 1" MDF.  Since the baffle width (9") has to remain the same, we needed to increase the depth to 17" in order to make up for the lost internal volume.  So...with 1" MDF walls, the dimensions are 44 1/4" tall (not counting the plinths and spikes), 9" wide and 17" deep.  The finished speakers are rock solid and weigh in at about 87 pounds each.

- Jim

TJHUB

« Reply #88 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:57 pm »
Terry,

Whats the verdict on the parasound gear?  Just curious about your thoughts on the 2100 mostly.

Later,
B

Something is wrong, and I haven't gotten it figured out just yet.  My first impression is that the stage is deeper giving it more of a 3d effect.  Other than that, I can't say it sounds better.  But remember, I don't have any good analog sources other than my OPPO, and that's the device I think I'm having trouble with at the moment.  Too much to explain, so please don't ask...

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #89 on: 22 Mar 2009, 03:00 pm »
nyc_paramedic -

The TL design requires a cabinet that is 44 1/2" tall rather than 40".  If we were to use 3/4" MDF as in the regular version, the 14" depth would remain the same.  But with all the HT2 TL's we have built to date, we used 1" MDF.  Since the baffle width (9") has to remain the same, we needed to increase the depth to 17" in order to make up for the lost internal volume.  So...with 1" MDF walls, the dimensions are 44 1/4" tall (not counting the plinths and spikes), 9" wide and 17" deep.  The finished speakers are rock solid and weigh in at about 87 pounds each.

- Jim

Impressive.  Thanks for the info Jim.

guptaas

« Reply #90 on: 22 Mar 2009, 05:01 pm »
Thanks for your feedback and congrats on your getting your HT2 TL's! You may be the first to receive them. Hmmm... does Jim number them?

I think I might be the first. Mine have been playing since Feb 27th. Though I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd sound equally great :-)

Ash

earthbound

« Reply #91 on: 22 Mar 2009, 07:59 pm »
Just when I almost figured out I might afford a couple STs and maybe an SC I find myself slobbering all over my keyboard at the sight of those Brazilian cherries! OMG!  :angel:

Nuance

« Reply #92 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:17 am »
(snip)I plan to move the speakers a bit more off the front wall to see if the FR settles down a bit.  Other than that, these speakers measure flatter than ANY speaker I've measured in my home.  I expected to be surprised and I am!
I was just going to suggest that.  Give them another 12" and see how they sound and measure.  That is an extremely impressive in-room response considering you have NO EQ applied! 

Sorry about the Parasound stuff.  I hope it's something else and not the preamp and amp.  :(

guptaas

« Reply #93 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:48 am »
The only time I felt the bass lacking a little was with some classic rock tracks - "Who's Next" for example. My system doesn't allow anything but a volume control and an Equalizer somewhere in the path would have taken care of it easily. Its not the speakers, its the recording I feel. All recordings are different and one does need a way to adjust the playback to one's liking. I might have gotten used to listening to that album with bass turned up high.

Not that it makes any difference, but "Who's Next" wasn't the album in question. The track where I missed more bass was "Music Must Change" from "Who Are You" MFSL version. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on how to add an equalizer to my setup. Will start a new thread for that.

bigbwb

« Reply #94 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:07 am »
Terry,

I doubt its the preamp, I can vouch for all I have read about it from other users, its a great piece for the price.  As for the amp, I don't know, but highly unlikely.  Have you tried playing the same material on the Roku than on the oppo and then comparing the two to see if its the DAC's?

I know what it is..............it has to be the speaker wires :duh:

Just joking with ya....hope you narrow it down.  Maybe its just you(no offense), and you just need to aclimate yourself to a "sound" you are not familiar with yet.  It might not be neccesarily good or bad but just different?

Later,
Brandon

TJHUB

« Reply #95 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:59 am »
Terry,

I doubt its the preamp, I can vouch for all I have read about it from other users, its a great piece for the price.  As for the amp, I don't know, but highly unlikely.  Have you tried playing the same material on the Roku than on the oppo and then comparing the two to see if its the DAC's?

Just joking with ya....hope you narrow it down.  Maybe its just you(no offense), and you just need to aclimate yourself to a "sound" you are not familiar with yet.  It might not be neccesarily good or bad but just different?

Later,
Brandon

Brandon,

I did narrow it down.  It is the preamp.  The left channel is weak and it sounds weird.  The issue seems to affect voices more than anything, but playing a mono signal through the preamp and turning the balance knob back and forth, there is a distinct difference in sound.  It's odd too, not just attenuated...

Then there's the amp.  It loves to put out this cycling buzz (ramps up for a few seconds, then goes quiet for a few seconds) due to my plasma.  It's loud too.  I could never listen to amp at low volume with my plasma on.  The sound comes directly from the amp; not the speakers.  And yes, I've tried everything to make it stop.  I've unplugged everything from it, removed the preamp altogether, and plugged the amp into the wall across the room.  The buzzing never changes.

Tomorrow the Parasound gear is gone...  :(  I am NOT happy!  :x

Nuance

« Reply #96 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:34 pm »
Terry,

Later,
Brandon

Brandon,

I did narrow it down.  It is the preamp.  The left channel is weak and it sounds weird.  The issue seems to affect voices more than anything, but playing a mono signal through the preamp and turning the balance knob back and forth, there is a distinct difference in sound.  It's odd too, not just attenuated...

Then there's the amp.  It loves to put out this cycling buzz (ramps up for a few seconds, then goes quiet for a few seconds) due to my plasma.  It's loud too.  I could never listen to amp at low volume with my plasma on.  The sound comes directly from the amp; not the speakers.  And yes, I've tried everything to make it stop.  I've unplugged everything from it, removed the preamp altogether, and plugged the amp into the wall across the room.  The buzzing never changes.

Tomorrow the Parasound gear is gone...  :(  I am NOT happy!  :x

:(

Terry, we should GTG soon and perhaps shop electronics at Ultra Fidelis and Audio Emporium.  I feel terrible about the Parasound stuff.  I think you got a bad preamp, as Brandon's doesn't have that issue. 

bigbwb

« Reply #97 on: 23 Mar 2009, 04:14 pm »
Terry,

Sorry to hear that.  As nuance stated, i have no issues like that whatsoever with my 2100 preamp.  I did receive the first one and it died on me, but was quickly sent back and the new one sent to me.  You may want to give another 2100 a try before ruling it out completely?  Everyone heard mine at patricks also, and there was no issues at his place with it either.  As for the amps in my setup, I had to buy a Hum-x to eliminate the ground loop hum in my setup, did you try a cheater plug?

Well, either way, I hope you find what works for you in your setup, those Salks deserve some good front end equipment:)

Good luck,
Brandon

Big Red Machine

« Reply #98 on: 23 Mar 2009, 04:19 pm »
Did you consider the P3?  Used units around $500 and it is balanced.

bigbwb

« Reply #99 on: 23 Mar 2009, 04:20 pm »
P3 does not have HT bypass, I owned one.

B