Help with Salk Response figures on HT2 vs. V3 vs. current speakers

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Jim or Dennis,

I forgot to ask about phase and time coherence in your speaker designs. Some manufactures place a great deal of importance on these attributes; what are your thoughts on this subject. Are the HT2's (or any other Salk speaker) time and phase coherent?

Hi    This is an unresolved issue in speaker design, and one about which there is a great deal of confusion. But the short answer to your question is no.  If I really thought that such designs achieved acoustic advantages that justified their complexity and tradeoffs, I certainly would implement them.  But I've participated in experiments using real-time active crossovers that allowed instant comparison of a "transient perfect" crossover and a conventional crossover, and I just couldn't hear any real improvement.  If I were to try and go down than road, I would be greatly restricted in the choice of drivers.  They would all have to be extremely smooth and wide-range outside of their normal operating frequencies, both at the high and low end (good bye Seas Excel and virtually any ribbon tweeter), the cabinets would have to have a sloped baffle, the crossover would need to be extremely complex to maintain the necessary shallow slopes over a very wide range, and there would be very poor off-axis performance, with any advantages limited to a very narrow on-axis listening window.  Some manufacturers think the results are worth the effort--Thiel and Vandersteen, for example--and my reaction is basically God Bless them.  You should try and audtion their speakers and see whether you hear a magic quality that you don't get with Salk or most other speakers.  I don't, and I haven't chosen to specialize in that type of design.  But that's the great thing about industries as competitive as loudspeakers.  Just about every approach is available to you. 
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2009, 02:51 pm by DMurphy »

nyc_paramedic

Thanks for all the info Dennis. If I may change the topic a bit...

How do you and Jim go about knowing what you want to hear from your loudspeaker designs? Are you the only two people that will audition a design before giving it the thumbs up? Do you try a variety of electronics? What other tests might be performed beside frequency response?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Hi  I usually have a few trusted ears over to audition a new design, and the Song Tower was introduced at a gathering of about 20 DIY enthusiasts, so I got lots of feedback there.  When I send the schematic for a new design to Jim, he has his crossover construction dude build a couple of boards and from what I can gather, all of the Salk team on hand fire it up and comment.  But Jim knows what he wants, and can tell when he's got it, so I doubt that there's any voting going on.  There are certain things you test for in crossover optimization, including off-axis response and reverse null.  I do make distortion tests, mainly to make sure I'm not stressing the tweeter too much at the bottom end.  But there's not a lot you can do about distortion once the bass tuning, cabinet size, and drivers have been set.  I will naturally change electronics as I move the speaker from my downstairs listening comparison room, into my crossover design studio (OK, 5th bedroom), and upstairs to my living room.  So I will have listened on a Marsh preamp and amp system, an NAD integrated amp, and an Onix integrated amp, and a variety of fairly modest CD players.   But it's never changed my opinion of anything.  I'm not much into electronics. 
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2009, 03:50 pm by DMurphy »

OgOgilby

My HT2 TL cabinets have been veneered and sanded, and they have their first appointment with the spray booth next week.   :drool: 

Aren't you in Newton, MA? So out of the first 8-9 pairs of HT2 TL's, at least 2 pairs will end up in eastern MA (we are just south of Boston). Can't wait to hear you take on the HT2 TL's when they arrive - it sounds like you are a couple weeks ahead of our order!

OgOgilby

Jim or Dennis,

I forgot to ask about phase and time coherence in your speaker designs. Some manufactures place a great deal of importance on these attributes; what are your thoughts on this subject. Are the HT2's (or any other Salk speaker) time and phase coherent?

Hi    This is an unresolved issue in speaker design, and one about which there is a great deal of confusion. But the short answer to your question is no.  If I really thought that such designs achieved acoustic advantages that justified their complexity and tradeoffs, I certainly would implement them.  But I've participated in experiments using real-time active crossovers that allowed instant comparison of a "transient perfect" crossover and a conventional crossover, and I just couldn't hear any real improvement.  If I were to try and go down than road, I would be greatly restricted in the choice of drivers.  They would all have to be extremely smooth and wide-range outside of their normal operating frequencies, both at the high and low end (good bye Seas Excel and virtually any ribbon tweeter), the cabinets would have to have a sloped baffle, the crossover would need to be extremely complex to maintain the necessary shallow slopes over a very wide range, and there would be very poor off-axis performance, with any advantages limited to a very narrow on-axis listening window.  Some manufacturers think the results are worth the effort--Thiel and Vandersteen, for example--and my reaction is basically God Bless them.  You should try and audtion their speakers and see whether you hear a magic quality that you don't get with Salk or most other speakers.  I don't, and I haven't chosen to specialize in that type of design.  But that's the great thing about industries as competitive as loudspeakers.  Just about every approach is available to you. 

Hi Dennis,

Of all the speakers I have owned over the last 35 years, the complex 5-way, open baffle, time-aligned, "phased array" Dalhquist DQ-10's were my favorites. They were uncolored, with transparent sound, and very precise imaging. On the down side, the bass was lacking, as was the WAF. I am really looking forward to hearing how your crossover, combined with the LCY ribbon tweeter and the Seas W18 in the HT2 TL cabinet, compare to the more complex DQ-10. I do hope they have the same high end and midrange "magic" the Dalhquist's had, with much better bass. If they do have that "magic" - combined with the WAF of Jim's cabinets, we will be very happy.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
My HT2 TL cabinets have been veneered and sanded, and they have their first appointment with the spray booth next week.   :drool: 

Aren't you in Newton, MA? So out of the first 8-9 pairs of HT2 TL's, at least 2 pairs will end up in eastern MA (we are just south of Boston). Can't wait to hear you take on the HT2 TL's when they arrive - it sounds like you are a couple weeks ahead of our order!

Yes, I am in Newton.  My HT2 TL haven't been completed yet, and I won't receive them for another couple of/few weeks.  I know of 5 Salk owners in the area, including you and me.  You and I will have the HT2 TL; a local fellow has a pair of ST RT; Zybar has 5 ST in his home theater; and another local fellow has an HT3-based home theater with enormous Salk subwoofers. There are probably other Salk owners in the area.

My AVA gear is being returned today from being upgraded, and I am installing thicker bass traps and broadband panels, and when my HT2 TLs arrive, their room should be ready.  I'll post something after I have been able to listen to them for a while.

OgOgilby

My HT2 TL haven't been completed yet, and I won't receive them for another couple of/few weeks.

My AVA gear is being returned today from being upgraded, and I am installing thicker bass traps and broadband panels, and when my HT2 TLs arrive, their room should be ready.  I'll post something after I have been able to listen to them for a while.

I think ours are about a month out :cry: but I could be wrong. I'm trying not to bug Jim about the wait :wink:

Thanks, I am very interested in your feedback about the HT2 TL's combined with your AVA gear. I am thinking about adding an amp like the AVA Insight 440/440H, or the Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 for 2 channel if our Denon 4308ci isn't cutting it.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
You guys have to let me come to the Salk gathering in MA please.   :D

If there is interest in having more than just Salk speakers I may be able to participate myself.   aa

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound

[/quote]

Hi Dennis,

Of all the speakers I have owned over the last 35 years, the complex 5-way, open baffle, time-aligned, "phased array" Dalhquist DQ-10's were my favorites. They were uncolored, with transparent sound, and very precise imaging. On the down side, the bass was lacking, as was the WAF. I am really looking forward to hearing how your crossover, combined with the LCY ribbon tweeter and the Seas W18 in the HT2 TL cabinet, compare to the more complex DQ-10. I do hope they have the same high end and midrange "magic" the Dalhquist's had, with much better bass. If they do have that "magic" - combined with the WAF of Jim's cabinets, we will be very happy.
[/quote]

I always thought the DQ-10's were the best speakers of their day, even though the cheap super tweeter was a  little grating and directional.  In retrospect, I don't think their imaging and clarity were due to time-phase alignment per se, but to crossovers that were more carefully optimized than was the norm.  But you'll be able to make up your own mind in a few weeks or so.

OgOgilby

I always thought the DQ-10's were the best speakers of their day, even though the cheap super tweeter was a  little grating and directional.  In retrospect, I don't think their imaging and clarity were due to time-phase alignment per se, but to crossovers that were more carefully optimized than was the norm.  But you'll be able to make up your own mind in a few weeks or so.

Thanks Dennis... because you have heard the DQ-10's I just have to ask this.

Since you are much more knowledgeable and more than likely have a better, more refined ear than I do, how do you think the HT2's or HT2 TL's compare to the DQ-10's? Or maybe I should ask if your crossovers are more carefully optimized than the DQ-10's were. Of course, I don't even know if they can be compared, but I would love to hear your opinion.

Big Red Machine

I was under the impression that the V series performed every bit as well as the HT2.  How come no V love?

martyo

Hi. I'm not Dennis if you couldn't tell. :lol: I owned DQ10's in the '70's and early '80's. My brother still owns a pair w/most of the Regnar updates and he also runs a subwoofer. I listen to his often. I have the HT3's and he has listened to the stock HT2's and is saving for his pair. You are in for some magic. Your new speakers will sound as if a window has been opened, compared to the DQ10's. IMNSHO, no comparison.  aa

OgOgilby

Hi. I'm not Dennis if you couldn't tell. :lol: I owned DQ10's in the '70's and early '80's. My brother still owns a pair w/most of the Regnar updates and he also runs a subwoofer. I listen to his often. I have the HT3's and he has listened to the stock HT2's and is saving for his pair. You are in for some magic. Your new speakers will sound as if a window has been opened, compared to the DQ10's. IMNSHO, no comparison.  aa

Thanks, that's great news! Can't wait to hear them, but I guess I have to wait a bit :(

OgOgilby

I was under the impression that the V series performed every bit as well as the HT2.  How come no V love?

Sorry about getting a bit off topic  :oops:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
My HT2 TL haven't been completed yet, and I won't receive them for another couple of/few weeks.

I think ours are about a month out :cry: but I could be wrong. I'm trying not to bug Jim about the wait :wink:

Thanks, I am very interested in your feedback about the HT2 TL's combined with your AVA gear. I am thinking about adding an amp like the AVA Insight 440/440H, or the Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 for 2 channel if our Denon 4308ci isn't cutting it.

I have an Insight 440, which I believe will have ample power for the HT2 TL.  If you take the AVA route, Frank can build an Insight Double 440H for you with double-die output devices, for an additional $250.00.  Frank states that the Insight Double 440H is the best solid state amplifier that he has ever made.  Additionally, the Insight preamps and DAC have just been updated.

Also, there is an AVA Fet Valve 550EXR on a'gon for $999.00, which should be an excellent amp, or the amp could be upgraded to an Ultra 550, AVA's top-of-the-line amplifier, for an additional $699.00.  A Double Ultra 550 is an additional $500.00.

sanlanman

Yea, Why no V3 love? No doubt that the HT2 TL will be a fine speaker, but don't rule out the V3 just because their aren't as many owners or auditioners. I am completely satisfied with my set of V3's and modified V Monster Junior center speaker. They are smooth and natural with good imaging to my (older) ears. They can play loud, but don't require as much amp power as the HT3s to go loud. Unfortuately, I was unable to audition any HT2s before purchasing so I can not make a direct comparison. HT3's were/are out of my budget range.
Also, Jim modified my V3s to a half baffle look similar to the Song Tower baffle that I liked better than the full length baffle; so there are always options, as long as the basic design is unaltered.

Big Red Machine

word! :wink: