Name this open baffle speaker

jsalk

Re: Name this open baffle speaker
« Reply #40 on: 1 May 2008, 08:35 pm »
Bob -

If there's no real consensus you could always call them ... BOB :thumb:

But truthfully, all of your speakers have gorgeous woodworking. Unfortunately there's nobody up here in NY that has a pair, that I know of at least. I'd love to give ANY of them a listen one of these days. All of the good word of mouth about each and every design makes my mouth water.  :drool:

Enjoy,
Bob (the man, not the speaker)

Are you upstate?  We do have quite a few owners in the NYC area and I think at least one owner upstate.  But I would have to check to make sure.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #41 on: 1 May 2008, 08:49 pm »
AliG -

Jim, how does this sound compare to the HT3??? I would like to know what the "trade-off's" are.  aa aa

Well, that is a hard one to pin down as they are both rather unique.  While the HT3's have a 10" woofer and the new speaker has a 12", the HT3's do play lower and are perhaps a little more detailed in the mid-bass area.  This is due both to the paper cone and the higher sensitivity of the driver used in the new design.  In the midrange area, it is pretty much a draw.  The W18's in the HT3's are perhaps slightly more detailed, but the PHL's are one of the nicest high-efficiency midranges available today.  On the top end, the HT3's will have a little more transparency due to the ribbon tweeter.  The Morel tweeter, on the other hand, is one of the finest dome tweeters available, so the top end is very smooth.

But the drivers only tell half the story.  An open baffle design, by its very nature offers a more diffuse, spacious soundfield.  Some people will prefer the pinpoint imaging of the HT3's.  Others will enjoy the more open and spacious sound of this new design.

The other issue that separates the designs is sensitivity.  This new design will mate very well with a moderately-powered tube amp - one which could not drive the HT3's successfully. 

Both designs are very solid (IMO).  For music, either would do a great job depending on your room, sonic tastes and the type of music you prefer to listen to.  For HT or mixed music/HT, you would probably be better off with the HT3's. 

The market for a speaker like this is much more limited than say, the market for HT3's.  But there are some individuals who will find this new design better suited to their particular situation.  Some people simply prefer open baffle designs.  Some people prefer lower powered tube amps.  These were the people we had in mind for this speaker and we think they will love them.

I hope that helps.

- Jim

miklorsmith

« Reply #42 on: 1 May 2008, 08:51 pm »
I think you should name them "lonewolfny42".

Any speaker he'd hang his name on HAS TO kick ass.

jsalk

« Reply #43 on: 1 May 2008, 08:55 pm »
rockadanny -

JIM - any idea on projected price range? I'm hoping $1250-$1275.  :wink:

Well, that might come close to covering the driver costs.  But we would have to throw in the crossover and the cabinets for free.  I don't think we can do that.  Sorry.

We haven't taken the time to do an analysis yet, but if I were to take a guess at it, it would probably be around $4,000 per pair.  Keep in mind that this is just a guess at this point in time. It could be a bit lower or possibly even higher. What seems fair for a speaker of this caliber?

- Jim
« Last Edit: 2 May 2008, 12:01 am by jsalk »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #44 on: 1 May 2008, 09:01 pm »
Well, that might come close to covering the driver costs.  But we would have to throw in the crossover and the cabinets for free.  I don't think we can do that.  Sorry.

We haven't taken the time to do an analysis yet, but if I were to take a guess at it, it would probably be around $4,000 per pair.  Keep in mind that this is just a guess at this point in time. It could be a bit lower or possibly even higher. What seems fair for a speaker of this caliber?

- Jim

Jim,

Send me a pair and I will compare them to my $3500 open baffle speakers as well as $22,000 conventional speakers in order to help you establish a fair price.   aa

George

Papajin

« Reply #45 on: 1 May 2008, 09:29 pm »
This isn't a serious suggestion.... But the very first thought that popped into my head as soon as I saw them was the Salk Coneheads for those of you that remember the old Saturday Night Live skit...

AliG

« Reply #46 on: 1 May 2008, 09:40 pm »
Jim,
  Have you started building my HT3 yet?? aa If not..I'll thinking seriously about getting a pair of this new speaker.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rackadanny -

JIM - any idea on projected price range? I'm hoping $1250-$1275.  :wink:

Well, that might come close to covering the driver costs.  But we would have to throw in the crossover and the cabinets for free.  I don't think we can do that.  Sorry.

We haven't taken the time to do an analysis yet, but if I were to take a guess at it, it would probably be around $4,000 per pair.  Keep in mind that this is just a guess at this point in time. It could be a bit lower or possibly even higher. What seems fair for a speaker of this caliber?

- Jim

klh

« Reply #47 on: 1 May 2008, 09:41 pm »
Well, that might come close to covering the driver costs.  But we would have to throw in the crossover and the cabinets for free.  I don't think we can do that.  Sorry.

We haven't taken the time to do an analysis yet, but if I were to take a guess at it, it would probably be around $4,000 per pair.  Keep in mind that this is just a guess at this point in time. It could be a bit lower or possibly even higher. What seems fair for a speaker of this caliber?

- Jim

Jim,

Send me a pair and I will compare them to my $3500 open baffle speakers as well as $22,000 conventional speakers in order to help you establish a fair price.   aa

George

Hey George... what speakers do you have now? You've always got something good going on!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 1 May 2008, 10:17 pm »

- Jim

Jim,

Send me a pair and I will compare them to my $3500 open baffle speakers as well as $22,000 conventional speakers in order to help you establish a fair price.   aa

George

Hey George... what speakers do you have now? You've always got something good going on!

Besides my three Song Towers that I use for the L/C/R channels of my HT, I have the following speakers:

Emerald Physics CS2's with a highly modified DCX crossover
Vandersteen 5A's
Omega Loudspeaker Revolutions with B200 drivers that have the Planet 10 mod (tomorrow I should have the upgraded Hemp Alinco drivers)

Right now I am using the Revolutions while my DCX is getting a little work done on it.

All three pairs of speakers are excellent and all sound very different.

George

jsalk

« Reply #49 on: 2 May 2008, 12:03 am »
Jim,
  Have you started building my HT3 yet?? aa If not..I'll thinking seriously about getting a pair of this new speaker.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not started yet.  Waiting for you choice of veneers.  I'll have another pair of Tineo soon for you to check out.

- Jim

klh

« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2008, 12:10 am »

- Jim

Jim,

Send me a pair and I will compare them to my $3500 open baffle speakers as well as $22,000 conventional speakers in order to help you establish a fair price.   aa

George

Besides my three Song Towers that I use for the L/C/R channels of my HT, I have the following speakers:

Vandersteen 5A's
Omega Loudspeaker Revolutions with B200 drivers that have the Planet 10 mod (tomorrow I should have the upgraded Hemp Alinco drivers)

Right now I am using the Revolutions while my DCX is getting a little work done on it.

George

Do you have a gallery? Sounds like a very impressive line-up . What happened to your HT3s? Might be better to PM to keep this thread on topic.

Nuance

« Reply #51 on: 2 May 2008, 12:17 am »

Vandersteen 5A's

George
Wow...you have great taste!

SET Man

« Reply #52 on: 2 May 2008, 12:30 am »
Wow, as always, another example of Jim's fine work.  I'll add Cathedrals to the list of names.  I guess you could go so far as to call them Open Cathedrals.

Cathedral is where my mind immediately went, but that has already been mentioned.  I'll go with Bell Towers. "Clear as a Bell!"

Hey!

That's the first thing I thought too. :D

Well, it reminded me of my 1937 Philco radio.

These old radios of late '20s to early '40s with this shape are called "Cathedral" type radio. :D

But I don't know if people will go for that.... :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jamjam

« Reply #53 on: 2 May 2008, 12:40 am »
OpenAir

jaw5279

« Reply #54 on: 2 May 2008, 01:04 am »
As previously pointed out by the folks suggesting "Cathedral", the speakers have a rather Gothic look with their arched shape.  How about playing on that and using something European cathedral sounding like "Westminster" or "Canterbury"

SET Man

« Reply #55 on: 2 May 2008, 01:13 am »
As previously pointed out by the folks suggesting "Cathedral", the speakers have a rather Gothic look with their arched shape.  How about playing on that and using something European cathedral sounding like "Westminster" or "Canterbury"

Hey!

I believe that Tannoy of the UK already have speakers with those names. :?

But if you Cathedral and Gothic name I don't think there are speaker named "Notre Dame" yet :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #56 on: 2 May 2008, 01:39 am »
Ok...sorry to sidetrack from this thread... let me know when you have the Tineo..:) Thanks.

Jim,

Not started yet.  Waiting for you choice of veneers.  I'll have another pair of Tineo soon for you to check out.

- Jim

Legendlime

« Reply #57 on: 2 May 2008, 02:18 am »
The first thing I thought of was a surf board and that connects with a wave. A sound wave, an air wave, the Hawaiian theme. Some Hawaiian names like Ka-ihe (the spear) or Ka-leo (the voice). I like Kaleo. Or Voice

The other thing I saw was an arch, a gateway. Manifest Destiny. Westward expansion...I don't know I'm just trying to work some ideas.

A surfboard or maybe a SoundBoard, but hey no water boarding. sorry
« Last Edit: 2 May 2008, 02:32 am by Legendlime »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #58 on: 2 May 2008, 02:52 am »

The other thing I saw was an arch, a gateway.
Yes...it has that look....

Maybe....the Salk Open Gateway.... :thumb:

cdorval1

« Reply #59 on: 2 May 2008, 02:55 am »
Or the Open Portal.