True Smokers

ken

Re: True Smokers
« Reply #60 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:30 pm »
I've had the large BGE for over two years now and only use my gas grill for Hamburgers and hot dogs, but if I happen to be using the BGE for other foods that day I'll  also cook the burgers on it as well, The moisture retention is second to none.    I make Memphis style ribs using a dry rub from Mcormicks  - I belive it is a chipoltle style rub for ribs which I find to be excellent and apply it about 2 hours before cooking, I then coat one side with yellow mustard.   I put the ribs on a rib rack on top of the place setter ( which is a baking stone designed for the BGE) and cover with foil and cook  for approx 1 1/2 hours over in direct between 150-200 degrees.  I Then remove the foil for the next 30 mins and have some great tasting ribs with a minimal amount of effort.   I can only imagine how much better they could be smoked or having applied the rub the night before,  Somthing I think I'll try for Fathers day.  :drool:   I ordered ribs from the Longhorn restaurant last week, which happens to make similar Mempis style ribs and found mine to be much better.  Seasoned chickened wings cooked at 150 degrees for 2 hours are wonderful as well.  The beauty of the BGE is it's versataility and ability to maintain temperatures for extended periods of time without drying out the food.  I can imagine this type of grill easily lasting 20 years or longer, I'll never spend any more then $100.00 or so for a gas grill again.  Happy grilling aa

Eric

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:01 pm »
I have the Primo Oval XL whic is similar to the BGE only larger

BobM

« Reply #62 on: 28 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm »
My family's favorite so far is smoked Salmon. Just a little Kosher salt and ground pepper, a dash of onion and garlic powder and ginger. 45 minutes in the smoker with Hickory wood. Yeah, I like this a lot.

Here's the leftovers for tomorrow (always good to have some leftovers).

Bob

jk@home

« Reply #63 on: 30 Jun 2009, 07:17 pm »
I've had the large BGE for over two years now....

This month will be my one-year anniversary with my large BGE. Had to install major cabinetry in the garage for all the accessories.  :D

This father's day, the kids got me this accessory:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/c319/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1

Fancy dancy beer-can cooker, worked great. The chicken cooked on this comes real close to rotisserie style.

Still don't have a Dutch oven pot, or that BBQ Guru gizmo yet.

PeteG

« Reply #64 on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:45 am »
My family's favorite so far is smoked Salmon. Just a little Kosher salt and ground pepper, a dash of onion and garlic powder and ginger. 45 minutes in the smoker with Hickory wood. Yeah, I like this a lot.

Here's the leftovers for tomorrow (always good to have some leftovers).

Bob

Looks good Bob. I love salmon but never smoked any, that should change this summer.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #65 on: 6 Sep 2009, 04:56 am »
This is my first post in this circle. I love to barbeque and share what I cook with good friends. Here are the two grills/smokers I use. This one is the Cook n Kettle.

It is all cast iron with as many rings as you want to buy. My father used one of these and I have 3, one from 1953, one from 1971 and one from 2003. Comes with a rotisserie spicket and motor (smoked an 18 lb turkey last Thanksgiving). The website is http://www.cooknkettle.com/.

This one is a Hasty Bake

Powder coated 18 & 12 guage stainless steel. http://www.hastybake.com/index.asp.

Both are all charcoal, all the time. For smoking woods I use hickory, mesquite, apple, alder and sassafras (my favorite), depending on what I am cooking. My father was from Texas and taught me, my sister and brother how to barbeque and slow smoke all kinds of meat. Patience, several good drinks or cold beers and tunes are essential.

some young guy

« Reply #66 on: 6 Sep 2009, 08:30 am »
This is my first post in this circle. I love to barbeque and share what I cook with good friends. Here are the two grills/smokers I use. This one is the Cook n Kettle.

It is all cast iron with as many rings as you want to buy. My father used one of these and I have 3, one from 1953, one from 1971 and one from 2003. Comes with a rotisserie spicket and motor (smoked an 18 lb turkey last Thanksgiving). The website is http://www.cooknkettle.com/.

This one is a Hasty Bake

Powder coated 18 & 12 guage stainless steel. http://www.hastybake.com/index.asp.

Both are all charcoal, all the time. For smoking woods I use hickory, mesquite, apple, alder and sassafras (my favorite), depending on what I am cooking. My father was from Texas and taught me, my sister and brother how to barbeque and slow smoke all kinds of meat. Patience, several good drinks or cold beers and tunes are essential.

Welcome to the circle! Great first post... vintage bbq equipment=cool!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #67 on: 13 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm »
Rubed a 7 lb brisket yesterday and regfrigerated overnight. Got up early and put it on before church at 8:30 am at 225 F on the top ring with a combination of hickory, mesquite and sassafrass chips over the coals. w;picture=29844[/img]

It's 2 pm and has about 6 hrs to go. Added some baby backs this afternoon.

Listening to Jennifer Warnes Famous Blew Raincoat, an original pressing; 10,000 Maniacs The Wishing Chair; LP; and UB40 Labour of Love II LP and thinking about my brand new grandson and how blessed I am. A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Say hello to Cody, born 9/2/09, 7 lb 8 oz, 19". I'm lovin' every minute, even when I am 800 miles away.

PeteG

« Reply #68 on: 13 Sep 2009, 10:58 pm »
Family & good food, very nice :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #69 on: 14 Sep 2009, 01:34 am »
Family & good food, very nice :thumb:

Amen!
It's 6 pm and the brisket is at 9:30 and 4 hours on the ribs; temp is between 200 and 225.

old vinyl

some young guy

« Reply #70 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:29 am »
Laura, as facilitator of this group I must insist on (at least) a pic of the sliced brisket. Anyone can load some old meat into a smoker and post it...  :D

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #71 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:50 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #72 on: 15 Sep 2009, 02:32 am »
Laura, as facilitator of this group I must insist on (at least) a pic of the sliced brisket. Anyone can load some old meat into a smoker and post it...  :D

Here you go. This was taken tonight. Last night after I took the brisket abd ribs off of the grill, I wrapped them in foil and refrigerated. They become the main dish in weeknight meals. The last thing I want to do when I get home after work is cook, so I do my cooking on the weekend and eat whatever I cook thorughout the week. tonight I made a brisket sandwich with Arthur Bryant's BBQ Sauce from KCMO.  :D

Spinning this on the TT

A nice way to unwind after work

gonefishin

« Reply #73 on: 16 Oct 2009, 07:16 pm »
    It's been a long time since I found myself browsing the audio forums.  But today I found myself checking out a few of the circles...

...and what do you know?  A thread on smokers  :D

I got my new smoker this year, a BackWoods FatBoy.  I absolutely love it!  Previous to this I used a variety of offsets.

cheers all!

dan

gonefishin

« Reply #74 on: 5 Dec 2009, 02:38 pm »
    Well, this is the first time I made my own bacon. Yum, Yum, Yum! I cut the belly in three sections and seasoned one with maple syrup, one with brown sugar and one with honey and spices. They were each good after curing, rinsed and soaked a bit...but after smoking they were delicious!

dan

PeteG

« Reply #75 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:34 pm »
    Well, this is the first time I made my own bacon. Yum, Yum, Yum!

I would like to try that sometime.

gonefishin

« Reply #76 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:48 am »
    Well, this is the first time I made my own bacon. Yum, Yum, Yum!

I would like to try that sometime.

Hi ya Pete :)

I know winter is near...but go get yourself a pork belly and give it a try! 

Let us know what you think. 

Oh yeah,.  You can get the pink salt (curing salt) from Spice House. 

dan

Eric

« Reply #77 on: 7 May 2010, 02:02 pm »
I have an Oklahoma Joe's Longohorn with some modifications. I am looking to add a BGE

I have expanded my array. I still have the OK Joe's Offset. I have added :

WSM 22
Pro-Q Excel 20
Weber Kettle Grill 22.5

BobM

« Reply #78 on: 10 May 2010, 01:03 pm »
Nothing like fresh fish in the smoker. I'll take that over ribs or pork but any day.

Picked up some fresh caught Atlantic salmon Saturday in preparation for Mothers Day dinner. Made a rub of:

- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dill
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper

Let it sit in the fridge overnight then smoked it with hickory for 1.25 hours. Absolutely delicious. BTW - it is also amazing just with the salt & pepper and nothing else.

We also had some steamed blue claw's for an appetizer.

Sorry, no pictures - it didn't stay on the plate long enough for me to catch a shot.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #79 on: 10 May 2010, 02:05 pm »

A few rib racks, that day if I remeber right was Apple and Pecan.
Ptank is gas assist for the firebox.