Universal remote w/ album art--available options?

Audioclyde

Universal remote w/ album art--available options?
« on: 6 May 2009, 12:12 pm »
I currently use the Duet remote to control  my  MW Transporter, but I'm considering adding some sort of universal remote so that I can also control my other equipment, including volume control of my integrated amp.  I really want to continue to have the display of album art on the remote.  I've done a bit of 'net research, but wanted to check with those of you that have been using the Transporter much longer as to available options.

I've read that Ted b is or has used the Pronto TSU 9400, along with the added software 'prontosqueeze', and from what I can tell, this option would work and I would still have album artwork displayed on the remote.   Any comments on how well this works?  Does the remotes screen 'time out' to display album artwork only after a period?

Are there other available options that I'm missing?  I'm somewhat surprised that Logitech's universal remotes don't seem to easily (at least from what I've been able to find) accomplish this, especially since their Duet remote displays album artwork (but I can't control the volume of my integrated with the Duet remote)....maybe I'm just misunderstanding how the Logitech/Harmony wifi remotes work...

Cost is an issue; I'm not going to spring for the $1750-2000 range remotes even if they do perform as I want.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Universal remote w/ album art--available options?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2009, 04:35 pm »
The Pronto TSU9400 is a great remote, and costs $400 or so, I think.  it is invaluable to me.  Barry Gordon's SlimPronto app is nice and I occasionally use it (10%), but I really use my Itouch app even more (iPeng) (40%).  It's great, but only for Squeeze Center (not your preamp's volume, etc).  You'd need another remote (Pronto) for everything else.  I also just use the simple joystick navigation I have on the Pronto (50%), cuz I can see the Transporter's screen easily from my listening position.  This involves no album art or anything, but is quick and dirty when simply scrolling to where I want to be.  It's all mood dependent.   :)

Barry's SlimPronto is like $29 and he sends updates out on email every few months or so.  The album art works, but not nearly as smoothly and easily as the iTouch/iPod app IMHO.  However, it's likely that I'm scoring the SlimPronto app lower because I don't use it that much.  If the iPeng app didn't exist it would be the only thing I used.  I knwo there are other apps for the Pronto but i haven't tried them.  Barry's app is quite popular on RemoteCentral.  Both iPeng (iTouch/iPhone) and SlimPronto (Pronto) use wifi to the server, so you need to have a wireless connection at your listening position.  The rest of Pronto use is IR to the local equipment.

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 04:49 pm »
Thanks Ted.  Sounds like I'll likely go the Pronto 9400 route.  I had one of the original pronto's a number of years ago, and became comfortable with programming it back then--but of course I've now forgotten everything, so I'm sure I'll have a real learning curve again on the programming side.

My programming needs aren't too elaborate, as I don't have a complicated system, so hopefully I can handle it without having to bring in the professionals  :).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2009, 04:56 pm »
Thanks Ted.  Sounds like I'll likely go the Pronto 9400 route.  I had one of the original pronto's a number of years ago, and became comfortable with programming it back then--but of course I've now forgotten everything, so I'm sure I'll have a real learning curve again on the programming side.

My programming needs aren't too elaborate, as I don't have a complicated system, so hopefully I can handle it without having to bring in the professionals  :).

And use RemoteCentral's database of files to cobble together from.  Don't just rely on XCF's only (the native file for the newer 9400/9600).  You can use the larger database of CCF's (earlier versions) and import/convert them.

deutscherhififan

• Life is a beach
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:05 am »
If you check the SlimDevices community you will find instructions on how to turn the volume control buttons on the Duet controller into a volume control for your own amp, similar to a universal remote control. However, if you need a whole bunch more buttons you will run out of options soon. I think people have used on other button to select input, but don't quote me on that.