What newer CD players is Modwright working on?

blkwrxwgn

« on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:37 pm »
Just wanted to get some updates on what you guys are working on now days.  The website is a little bit out of date.  :wink:

I know about the music hall unit and some of the sony SACD players but just wanted to see what else modwright is working on right now.  

Especially any tube transformations.

Aaron

modwright

New Players...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2003, 04:38 pm »
First of all, cool taste in music and Vinyl at that?!  I have been listening to a lot of vinyl myself lately and am also designing a tube phono stage in my 'spare' time :).

I have a website update into my webmaster at this very moment actually...

Here are the new projects:

CD/SACD/DVD Player Mods:

Sony 999ES - Tube Stage mods = $800.
Sony 9000ES - Tube Stage mods + Level III parts upgrades = $1200.
Music Hall CD-25 (Response Audio ModWright collaboration) = $600.
Xindak SCD-2 mods = $300 (Bybees optional at extra $).
Pioneer DV-45A, 47Ai, 47A Universal Truth (Tube) mods = $700
Pioneer DV-45A, 47Ai, 47A Basic mods = $275-$350.

We are working on a Marantz SA8260 and Yamaha 3300 also at the moment.

Phono Mods:

Monolithic PS-1 mods = $250.
Channel Islands PP-1 mods = $200
EAR 834P mods = $250

DAC Mods:

Channel Islands VDA-1/VAC-1 mods = $250 (Can also package with gear, fully modified for add'l savings).

ModWright Products:

I am finallizing design of an active tube linestage with outboard PS.  I hope to debut this unit at VSAC in WA in Oct.  Beta testing to follow soon.

Thanks for your interest.  Please do keep checking the website as I am trying to get it more updated.

Take care,

Dan W.

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2003, 05:02 pm »
AWESOME Dan!  Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

Yeah the radiohead vinyl was tough to find but for sure worth it.  I just bought a new TT and phono stage so I need a good digital format now.  

Thinking about the Pioneer universal tube mod.  Would be nice to have all of those options in one unit.  Might even be able to find a good enough price on the pioneer to where the price isn't much more then the new Denon DVD-2900.

modwright

Pioneer Universal Player
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2003, 07:08 pm »
The Pioneer Universal Units do offer a good value and excellent flexibility for the different formats.

Dan

HChi

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2003, 04:54 pm »
Looking at your list,  I do not see parts upgarde for sony 999es.  Does it not need any part upgrades at this moment?  How does 999es tube stage mod compare to 9000es tube stage mod + level iii parts upgrade?

Thanks,
-Howard

modwright

999ES Vs. 9000ES
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2003, 06:52 pm »
Well, the 999ES is designed in such a way that the analog signal can actually be taken directly from the DAC and MAIN digital board and bypass pretty much all of the existing analog circuitry.  This allows us to send the signal directly to our own tube analog stage, where we use 1% precision metal film resistors, Auricaps, etc.

We do upgrade a few of the capacitors in the stock 5V digital power supply circuit.  We use Black Gates here in key locations.  We also upgraded the rectifiers to FREDs.

This is also why the price for the 999ES mods is less than that for the 9000ES.

Sonicly they are both excellent and I really haven't had a chance to do a direct A/B comparison.  It is VERY close in terms of which is 'better'.

Thanks,

Dan

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2003, 02:03 am »
What do the 843p mods entail?

modwright

834P Mods
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2003, 08:17 pm »
834P mods include upgrades to the power supply - FREDs, film bypass, etc.

We also upgrade key coupling caps to Auricaps, improve parts quality in the signal path and also install optional Bybee filters in power and/or signal path.

Thanks,

Dan

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2003, 04:50 pm »
Dan,

I'm planing on getting a pioneer universal player to be used as a transport with a Perpetual P3.  What mod's would you sugest to do to the pioneer transport?

It would be used for SACD also.

modwright

Pioneer DVD mods
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2003, 05:02 pm »
I would recommend our Level II transport mods with upgraded op-amps and coupling caps for SACD playback.  Level II transport mods are $375.  Including analog mods for 2CH SACD would be $450, for 2CH and MCH SACD playback would bring the total to $525.

Thanks and just let me know if you are interested.

Dan W.

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2003, 05:06 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Dan!

JackStraw

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2003, 12:26 pm »
I saw the emphatic recommendation of the Pioneer DV-656A on the 7/4/03 web site update. Have you looked into the Pioneer DV-563A as well? On the surface, it looks like a new version of the 656 with SACD and photo CD playback.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jay S

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2003, 12:40 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
I saw the emphatic recommendation of the Pioneer DV-656A on the 7/4/03 web site update. Have you looked into the Pioneer DV-563A as well? On the surface, it looks like a new version of the 656 with SACD and photo CD playback..

Sounds like the 563A is very similar to the 45A (the 656A is the same as the 45A except it doesn't play SACD - same transport, power supply, analog circuit boards, etc -- refer to www.tweakaudio.com for specific info).

modwright

563SA
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2003, 07:56 pm »
Good chance that we will pursue mods for this unit.  I am looking into replacing the stock 'switch-mode' PS with our own design...this would REALLY improve the unit...

Dan

Dokter_doug

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2003, 07:39 am »
I own a Pioneer Elite 45A Universal disc player. What effects (given functional ears and eyes) would I notice with DVD and SACD/DVD-Audio playback with the most extensive mods? And would those mods make it a better player than a stock Denon 5900?

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2003, 12:41 pm »
Dan, can you be more specific on the EAR 834P MOD? Or will the info be on your web site? What can I expect the 834P to sound like after the mod? Thanks..

modwright

EAR 834P
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2003, 03:22 pm »
I have done a couple of these with relatively straightforward parts upgrades with good results.  Cleaner, more dynamic, lower noise floor, etc.

I am looking now into Battery bias options and a few other upgrades to further improve the unit.

Dan W.

rbs350z

modwright mods
« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2003, 04:45 pm »
dan,
on your 9000es mods, what benefit is there (if any) on modifying my 9000es with your tube mods compared to spending the same amount of money on a separate DAC with the unmodified 9000es?
thanks

Levi

Re: modwright mods
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2003, 03:27 pm »
Hi RBS350Z,

I thought about doing something similar.  I ended up having my DVDp (999ES) modified by ModWright.  First with basic and now with the tube mod.  In my opinion, it is worth looking into other universal players like Pioneer and have it "signaturized" by Dan for a lot less money.  If you decided to give the 9000es another chance, you will not be dissapointed with his work.  There are so many options...so little time.

Quote from: rbs350z
dan,
on your 9000es mods, what benefit is there (if any) on modifying my 9000es with your tube mods compared to spending the same amount of money on a separate DAC with the unmodified 9000es?
thanks

eichlerera1

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2003, 05:19 pm »
Go with the Sony 9000 full upgrade.
You won't be sorry. Dan does GREAT work.
Throw a sheet of ERS in there for good measure.
                                                                       Paul G