New Odyssey owner here

la10slgr

New Odyssey owner here
« on: 27 May 2018, 05:11 am »
Greetings,

After much deliberation, many hours researching any information I could dig up on Odyssey, and stalking of this very group I made the decision to go full Odyssey and ordered the Khartago Extreme and Candela to pair with my Tekton DIs in my dedicated 2.0 listening room my father-in-law and I built.  I have to say, 99% of what I found, as well as my conversations with Klaus, convinced me this was THE way to go but the comments I read here were what really convinced me to go for it so thank you!  I just received word they are built and should be shipping soon so to say I’m excited is a little bit of an understatement... 

As for me, I’m not your typical audiophile.. For starters, I don’t even consider myself an audiophile as I just want to rock out to my music and have it sound as good as it can.  Further, The music I listen to isn’t the typical fare either as my tastes are largely centered around 90s alternative hard rock (Tool, Rammstein, Janes Addiction, etc..) but there are different spokes on the wheel as I do enjoy good music regardless of genre (Fleeteood Mac “Rumors” Floyds “The Wall” are masterpieces in my book as well) and I do have to admit to liking a lot of the 80s “one hit wonders.” 

Anyhow, I’m here and look forward to posting my initial impressions..  I’ll be replacing a Raven Nighthawk so am extremely interested to hear the differences.

artur9

Re: New Odyssey owner here
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 11:52 am »
for me, I’m not your typical audiophile.. For starters, I don’t even consider myself an audiophile as I just want to rock out to my music and have it sound as good as it can.

Welcome!  That above is the definition of audiophile in my book.  Once you realize that your earbuds are incapable of reproducing 50-90% of the sound of the music you like there's no turning back! :-)

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 12:24 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle la10slgr. While I haven’t heard a pair of Tekton speakers, they do look great. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the Candela too. How big is your dedicated room?

I’ve had an Odyssey Cyclops in my system for over three years now and couldn’t be happier. I do play a wide variety of music including many 90’s and up rock and metal. In fact, that music was the main reason for seeking upgrades. I tend to keep inching the volume up when I really get into the music. The cheap receiver I had would just turn the music into a muddy mess of sound when I did. That all changed when the Cyclops arrived, Tool now has such a dynamic sound that goes from whispers to attack from every sonic angle with clarity that gives me goosebumps. The bass control that Klaus has with his amps is amazing as well. They take a little time to break in, but they sound great from the start and get better with time.

I need to update my initial impressions since a few things have changed. Whatever the wait, it is worth it.  :drums:

thegasman

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 12:39 pm »
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your new Odyssey system.
You may already know this, but one of the biggest improvements that you can make to your system is room acoustic treatments. I use and recommend GIK Acoustics for this. Besides good speakers, a well treated room will yield the largest improvement in sound IME. I’ve seen and heard many, many rooms full of high end electronics, but with zero room acoustic treatments. It baffles me see this since those systems are nowhere near their full potential. 

la10slgr

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 04:02 pm »
Welcome!  That above is the definition of audiophile in my book.  Once you realize that your earbuds are incapable of reproducing 50-90% of the sound of the music you like there's no turning back! :-)

Thanks!  I have a 5.1 PSB/NAD/Denon home theater that I never got to listen to (wife and kids..) so I went for some AudioTechnica headphones with a handy little tube headphone amp and while I LOVE the sound I get (best bang for the buck I’ve ever heard) I'm just not a headphone for hours on end kinda guy.. Plus a dedicated room was a lifelong dream so I figured “why not?” and got a second job to fund it...  My hope is to get the sound I want and be done for quite some time as there has been a pretty steep learning curve over the past year...

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 04:40 pm »
Right on, same boat. I listen to mostly old school punk and tons of reggae. I have an amp on the way with a Candela I’ll order later this year.

la10slgr

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 04:43 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle la10slgr. While I haven’t heard a pair of Tekton speakers, they do look great. How big is your dedicated room?

I do play a wide variety of music including many 90’s and up rock and metal. In fact, that music was the main reason for seeking upgrades. I tend to keep inching the volume up when I really get into the music. The cheap receiver I had would just turn the music into a muddy mess of sound when I did. That all changed when the Cyclops arrived, Tool now has such a dynamic sound that goes from whispers to attack from every sonic angle with clarity that gives me goosebumps. The bass control that Klaus has with his amps is amazing as well.

Thanks!  The room is 10x15 which obviously doesn’t necessitate such big speakers but I was/am determined to have “end game” speakers and these were the best I heard for what I was willing to spend... 

This is EXACTLY why I'm switching out from the Raven... While I adore the sound, it didnt have the oomph for those dynamics of which you speak...
« Last Edit: 27 May 2018, 09:39 pm by la10slgr »

la10slgr

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 04:51 pm »
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your new Odyssey system.
You may already know this, but one of the biggest improvements that you can make to your system is room acoustic treatments. I use and recommend GIK Acoustics for this. Besides good speakers, a well treated room will yield the largest improvement in sound IME. I’ve seen and heard many, many rooms full of high end electronics, but with zero room acoustic treatments. It baffles me see this since those systems are nowhere near their full potential.

Gotcha and check!!!  This was probably the biggest learning curve for me over the past year.  To state the obvious, the room (at 10x15) and the DIs created some unique attributes so I got to learn about acoustic treatment over the past year (I was about to say "all about acoustic treatment" but there's now way I'll ever know ALL about acoustics..) and after blowing the budget on building the room and the DIs and the Raven the budget only allowed for DIY..  I have six 2'x4' OC 703 (4?) panels with four on the wall and two as clouds.  I also built four 2'x6' four inch thick bass traps for each corner but found things behave a little better with no bass traps in the front of the room so have those doubled up in the back at the moment (if anything, just because I have no where else to put them...)

la10slgr

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2018, 04:05 am »
Well, had a visit from ups today!!!  Still have some fine tuning/troubleshooting to do (ok, went straight to the music and havent used the set up cd yet.. can you blame a guy???). A binder was included that listed out the break in (along with numerous other little helpful tidbits!) and exactly as described its a little bright at the moment but nothing that I would call a negative...  Here are my initial impressions:

-POWER!! Gravitas, oomph, strength!!! whatever you wanna call it, IT. IS. THERE!!!!  I only turned it up 1/3 of the way and it was POWERFUL.. I’m gonna give it a workout tonight but I know for a fact I have to behave to preserve hearing..
- sound.. I mean, so many thoughts from just a few songs..  I heard cymbal separation I've never heard before, the cymbals were much more life like, the bass drum, as well as the others, sounded real and powerful, the guitars were also live as the rhythm/2nd guitar was much more present...
- i dont know the keyword (and dont want to use the wrong one)  but aside from the main instruments, all of those “extra” nuances are well represented, still background but audible without specifically listening for them. 

i could probably keep on loading on the superlatives but I think yall get the gist.. So happy I went with Klaus and Odyssey!

la10slgr

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2018, 04:09 am »

[

Have some cleaning to do but this is me for the evening

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2018, 05:23 pm »
as described its a little bright at the moment but nothing that I would call a negative...   
That's where I am at. Bright, hardly any bass, in fact it sounds like the integrated its replacing though less shouty in the upper mids and less soundstage. I have <2 hours on it so I'm optimistic it will come around. I left it running all night at low volume shuffling music and will be on all day today. So tonight by the time I sit down it will be around 50 hours.

la10slgr

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:09 pm »
MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY - wow on the lack of bass, that part is interesting as that was one of the first things I noticed, if there was supposed to be bass there was bass...

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:52 pm »
MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY - wow on the lack of bass, that part is interesting as that was one of the first things I noticed, if there was supposed to be bass there was bass...
agreed. I was expecting it to be bass heavy and then even out vertically.  I guess we shall see.

GentleBender

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:28 pm »
That's where I am at. Bright, hardly any bass, in fact it sounds like the integrated its replacing though less shouty in the upper mids and less soundstage. I have <2 hours on it so I'm optimistic it will come around. I left it running all night at low volume shuffling music and will be on all day today. So tonight by the time I sit down it will be around 50 hours.
You may want to double check your wiring to make sure it is not out of phase. I only have the Cyclops and I unhooked my sub after hooking the Cyclops up. Bass is fast and hard.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2018, 01:25 am »
You may want to double check your wiring to make sure it is not out of phase. I only have the Cyclops and I unhooked my sub after hooking the Cyclops up. Bass is fast and hard.

Wiring is good. The test cd checks out/Everything in phase. I’m running a passive preamp until I figure out what preamp I’ll be running (tube). 96 hours in and there’s improvement but definitely not as punchy as I expected.  It’s running 24/7 (playing music) so we shall see what happens next.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2018, 09:00 pm »
My Stratos Extreme had fantastic bass right out of the box and only improved over the next 6 months of ownership.  My treble was never, ever bright.  Perhaps it's all those tweeters in the Tekton Double Impacts?