Noise in one channel of a RM-5

neolith

Noise in one channel of a RM-5
« on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:36 pm »
I have some "white noise" in the right channel that is most noticeable when set to phono and the volume turned full up. I swapped a few tubes around and cleaned the sockets but there was no change.  I can also hear it on my headset that is run off a head-phone amp connected to one of the tape-outs and the selector to a non-phono input suggesting the noise is located in the line-stage section.  Could this be a failing cap? Any suggestions would be appreciate. I should mention that at normal listening volumes the noise is only apparent next to the speaker. I have the gain set at 14db.

neolith

Re: Noise in one channel of a RM-5
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2013, 01:13 am »
Figured it out. I reheated all the solder joints for the tubes sockets and the preamp is back to normal with no noise.  30+ years and it keeps on tickin'.

rbwalt

Re: Noise in one channel of a RM-5
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2013, 07:38 pm »
Great! i never had a issue with my RM5MK2. had that for over 15 yrs. just have to be careful with the sockets as you have found out. my sockets( driver tubes)got loose on my RM9MK2 from to much tube rolling. does your pre have the interconnect jack reinforcement bracket?

what are you favorite driver tubes for the pre amp? i hope you are getting them from ram labs.