Merging Partitions Q

JoshK

Merging Partitions Q
« on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:17 pm »
I am wondering if anyone here has had success merging partitions under windows and what did you use?

As far as I know, this isn't done under the default OS using Win2K.  My version of w2k is an upgrade so I had to install NT4.0 first when I recently rebuilt my system (complete HD failure on old primary disk).  NT forced me to partition the primary disk to be 2GB iirc, which is far too small for the main OS/program partition.   I am having all kinds of problems with the lack of space on this partition.  

My drive is 80gb and I'd like to add to the primary partition some more space but am not quite sure how to do this.  A google search turned up some software solutions, but I wonder if anyone has tried them?

Thanks,
Josh

Brad

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:27 pm »
Partition magic is a pretty solid program.

OR....

Sounds like it's time to back up your data and do a fresh XP install.....

JoshK

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:50 pm »
I don't have XP and I'm too cheap to buy it.

Brad

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 04:02 pm »
Partition Magic is now running about $70 less a $20 rebate.
That's higher than I remember paying for it.

You might be able to find an older version that still works with W2k at one of the online software clearinghouses.

Brad

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 04:04 pm »
A google search turned up a couple of OEM versions for around $20

www.versiontracker.com might turn up some alternatives.  Partition Magic is the only one I have direct experience with - it works VERY well.

JoshK

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 04:21 pm »
I just bought an OEM version (with legal COA & sp2) of WinXP, so I think I will do it right.  My win2k install wasn't very stable so no use fixing a problematic base.

Ferdi

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2005, 01:05 pm »
HI, it's been a while so I may have some details wrong and Josh has now bought a copy of XP anyway so it may not matter..... :?

When installing NT4.0 from the original CD (pre SP3, I believe), there is a limitation in the size of partitions. You can get around this by loading a new IDE/ATA driver from the step in setup where you're asked if you want to install any other/SCSI drives/controllers.

With that done, you should be able to create much larger partitions but I am unsure what the limitation is then.

Maybe I have this wrong and it is just an upgrade to fdisk for NT.

A google should give the details.

Another solution that might work (again, not sure!) is to try installing from the upgrade disc. At some point in the installation, you'll be asked to feed your NT or W2K disc into the drive to prove you qualify for the upgrade.

Groeten,

Ferdi

JoshK

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:36 pm »
Thanks Ferdi!

But for a number of reasons not only the aforementioned it was a bit easier for me to bite the bullet at get XP.  For all my grunts and groans over M$ software, XP is a great OS, imo.  I am really starting to like Linux but it simply isn't there yet in terms of a prime time ready OS.  It is still for the techies, although non-IT guys like me can use it with some guidance too.

Ferdi

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2005, 09:54 pm »
Hi Josh, totally understand! It is close to midnight and I am still working on some ...stuff. My main work computer is w2k and maintained by the company while my main private computer is a Mac (Powerbook 12in + Tiger)

If I want to play, I use Linux of BSD but not much else.

Good to hear you're happy with XP. It seems quite nice from what I hear.

Groeten,

Ferdi

jakepunk

Merging Partitions Q
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2005, 11:24 pm »
I recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is SO much easier to administer than Linux.  I am qualified to say that because I had 12 years of Linux experience.  I will never go back to Linux now that I have tasted FreeBSD.  If you need a stable server environment and you're tired of the endless dependency and consistency headaches of Linux, FreeBSD is the answer (I use it as a server, so I cannot comment on FreeBSD as a desktop).  It is still a "techie" OS, but you don't scrape your knees as often.

I used FreeBSD to merge two physical hard drives together into one logical 180GB partition to hold my ripped CDs.  The documentation is excellent.

Installing slimserver took 3 commands on the command line.  All dependencies and installation were handled automatically.  Beautiful.