$97 Tube iPod Dock

FredT300B

$97 Tube iPod Dock
« on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm »
Here's a tube preamp with dedicated powered speakers that sounds very good for the price; much better than any boombox-type iPod dock I've heard. The powered speakers are ported, and as with many small speakers there's a slight midbass peak that sounds very good at low to mid volume levels. The overall sound is well balanced with no treble glare.  :D

The construction is nothing to brag about - the amp case is plastic, but for under $100 you can't be choosey. I recommend it as an office system that will get lots of attention, or as a stocking stuffer. Those ugly plastic tube covers pop right off, and the tubes are lit from below the sockets by blue LED's. The left speaker plugs into a 120V outlet via its captive cord, and all other cables are color coded for easy setup. There's a 1/8" auxiliary input jack and a supplied interconnect (RCA's at the source end, 1/8" at the preamp end).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DICE-Electronics-iTPA-220-Tube-Amplifier-System-for-iPod/13350437

FredT300B

Re: $97 Tube iPod Dock
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:51 am »
Here's a picture of the dock and speakers with the tube covers removed. The sound is surprisingly good.  :thumb:

ttdo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:17 pm »
Hi,
I bought this unit for my daughter as xmas gift. However, when we tried to play it today, sound only comes from one speaker (speaker with amp)...Anything I should try before sending it back?

Thanks
-Thang

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:32 am »
It should work properly, maybe you got a defective product?
I used a similar one last month and it worked good.

ttdo

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:06 am »
I returned it to Wal-Mart and wait for it becomes available to buy it again

Thanks
-Thang

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:15 am »
That is cool as hell! I am totally going to try to get my hands on one of these and mod the hell out of it.  8)

tomwhite

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:50 pm »
I never knew that i can have tubes for ipod use, its pretty awesome....and affordable.