11 Great Products Under $100

JohnR

Re: 11 Great Products Under $100
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2014, 07:25 am »
   When and if you ever try one you will find out why. Highly recommended.

charles

Ah, bullshit. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't sell these, but seriously, nobody in their right mind would consider it a candidate for a "Cheap and Cheerful" system. Please refer to the Guidelines before posting........

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2014, 11:48 am »
Ah, bullshit. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't sell these, but seriously, nobody in their right mind would consider it a candidate for a "Cheap and Cheerful" system. Please refer to the Guidelines before posting........

There was a thread on these http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50320.0 and the general consensus was a maybe/maybe not on the cryo treatment, but the basic higher quality Hubbell 5362 outlet (the one used in the Porter Port) was a definite improvement.  I haven't tried these, or any "improved" wall outlets, but $9 and a little time could be considered cheap and cheerful?  It was also noted you could buy the outlet and have it cryo'd locally for way cheaper, if you're a proponent of cryo'd stuff and want to stay cheap.  Then again maybe pulling out your outlet and cleaning the contacts and re-stripping the wires might make the same improvement.  I think Bob in St Louis is sending out a distribution box with a bunch of different outlets installed for comparison purposes, maybe that's the best way to test the idea's veracity.       

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:30 pm »
The price previously mentioned was $36 not $9. In either case it's fine, if you genuinely think that has a place in a C&C system for less than $1k total then I'll bow out.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2014, 01:01 pm »
The price previously mentioned was $36 not $9. In either case it's fine, if you genuinely think that has a place in a C&C system for less than $1k total then I'll bow out.

Oh no John, I was referring to the standard, non-cryo'd outlet you can buy from most big box supply houses or electrical supply firms, that one is $9-12 USD.  Having not used either, it was more a question for debate than a statement of fact.  The proposal is that the HBL 5362 without the fancy cryo treatment may be an improvement over the standard cheapo outlet (it has a high copper content brass and offers a very tight clamping) and at the $9 price it would be a C&C option, especially if you are going to open up the existing outlet for a good detoxifying anyway.   

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:15 am »
Meh it's just an outlet, what's the fuss? It costs $36 big deal. Porter Ports have been around for a while now. Someone thinks it's a great product and it's under 100.

No need to let the usual suspect(s) kill the thread already.

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:25 am »
Hi all.
As long as it makes a good contact,
to me they are all the same
and please don't tell me that you can hear a difference
with a 36 USD outlet or a 115 USD fuse.
Well, if you think it will improve the sound, then buy it
and the seller will laugh his head off all the way to the bank.
I wish I was that salesman.

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:08 pm »
Oh I'm a usual suspect now. Sorry. Carry on, you know, it's only opinions being posted here.

I do agree that the calibrated mic from CSL is a really great deal.

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:45 pm »
Oh I'm a usual suspect now. Sorry. Carry on, you know, it's only opinions being posted here.

Hi JohnR.
Sorry to be off topic,
but I was wondering why I never saw up to now my system posted on the lower left corner of the page.
Did I missed it?
Unless it's posted during the time I am sleeping. :lol:

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:56 pm »
Hi Guy, yes I did that while you were asleep. Don't check that shared bank account for a few days though.

Just kidding...!!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2014, 03:25 pm »

Yes, you are notorious now, lol.

I was thinking the same thing about the mic, just didn't get 'round to posting about it.  It's been a well known bargain for a while now and never gets mentioned, good suggestions from DS on that post. 

DS-21

« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:39 pm »
   When and if you ever try one you will find out why. Highly recommended.

charles

I'm just not the type to go around playing demented electrician and fiddling with mere power outlets for "sound quality," sorry. And honestly given the forum guidelines a $36 (or $9 for that matter) mere power outlet is an absurd expenditure. When one has limited resources, if one wants to maximize sound quality (many people actually don't, they just want to futz with various placebos and talk about them on the internet) then one will not waste scarce resources on things like "upgrades" to mere power outlets.

I'd rather do things that, you know, actually do something, such as start with speakers that are of good performance (flat and smooth axial response, smooth polar response, adequate cone area and volume displacement to play the desired genres of music at live levels) and carefully optimize speaker + multisub placement in a room using reliable and repeatable measurements. Do that and, the "fun" of "upgrading" with various scam parts may be gone, but the music will sound more like music and less like the can it came in.

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:52 pm »
Let it go. It is under. $100, some people find it beneficial. If you haven't heard one, let's leave it at that.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:12 pm »
With the house's permission, I enthusiastically recommend what it is that I make at www.diffractionbegone.com.  For box speakers with right or near right angles.  There are some testimonials on the back page of the site address and I have made a few AC'er's happy, too.  Inquire amongst them if you like. 

skifasterslc

« Reply #33 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »

Jim made these for my quad 12L active a few years ago.  They simply work as advertised and I would not be without them!

Guy 13

« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2014, 12:02 am »

With the house's permission, I enthusiastically recommend what it is that I make at www.diffractionbegone.com.  For box speakers with right or near right angles.  There are some testimonials on the back page of the site address and I have made a few AC'er's happy, too.  Inquire amongst them if you like.
Hi jimdgoulding.
I was wondering if your product would work on my Omega 7F
extended range driver?
It's a 7" and has a built in wizzer cone.
Any improvement possible on the sound?

Guy 13

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:42 am »
Buy some woven wool locally and make it to fit the right side of your speaker face and see what happens.  I don't know in your case honestly tho I am interested to know.  Report back.

Guy 13

« Reply #36 on: 21 Mar 2014, 12:03 pm »
Buy some woven wool locally and make it to fit the right side of your speaker face and see what happens.  I don't know in your case honestly tho I am interested to know.  Report back.
Jim.
Thanks for the advice.
What do you mean by:
{{ I don't know in your case honestly tho I am interested to know. }}
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar 2014, 02:51 pm »

Correct I do not sell them. Actually we sell much more expensive ones. My thought was that since it was under $100 and there are several out there for well over $100 it would apply as cheap and cheerful. I'm actually recommending a product that competes with the expensive ones.

charles

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 21 Mar 2014, 02:57 pm »
Jim.
Thanks for the advice.
What do you mean by:
{{ I don't know in your case honestly tho I am interested to know. }}
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13
Cause you have a) a whizzer cone and b) a lopsided baffle.  I like to know the results if you try what I suggested.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 21 Mar 2014, 03:08 pm »
I'm just not the type to go around playing demented electrician and fiddling with mere power outlets for "sound quality," sorry. And honestly given the forum guidelines a $36 (or $9 for that matter) mere power outlet is an absurd expenditure. When one has limited resources, if one wants to maximize sound quality (many people actually don't, they just want to futz with various placebos and talk about them on the internet) then one will not waste scarce resources on things like "upgrades" to mere power outlets.

I'd rather do things that, you know, actually do something, such as start with speakers that are of good performance (flat and smooth axial response, smooth polar response, adequate cone area and volume displacement to play the desired genres of music at live levels) and carefully optimize speaker + multisub placement in a room using reliable and repeatable measurements. Do that and, the "fun" of "upgrading" with various scam parts may be gone, but the music will sound more like music and less like the can it came in.

Demented electrician ? Absurd expenditure ? Placebos ? Scam parts ? Please respect others opinions.

charles