$1000 systems based on powered speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
$1000 systems based on powered speakers
« on: 13 May 2013, 09:56 pm »
If you're reading this I'll assume you own a computer and therefore already have a source.

The hottest trend in audio and to go along with using a computer (even smart phone, iTouch, etc.) as your music source is speakers with built-in amps (even DACs).

To clarify, most powered speakers are small 2-way designs and come in a number of variations: 2-channel amplifier built into one speaker with crossover between amp and speaker cable running to the passive partner; one channel per speaker again with crossover between amp and drivers; and fully active design with one channel of amplification per driver (amps between crossover and driver).

What makes powered speakers so hot is the consumer/wife friendly format (small, fewer boxes/cables, simple) AND audiophile friendly (really good sound for the money).  The advantages of all powered speakers is that amplifiers have been selected for the given speaker with quality going into the guts versus extra cabinets, cables, etc.  But the real advantages come with active designs: low voltage crossovers (easier to design) and provides ruler flat frequency response; direct connection between amp and driver (more efficient, simpler load for the amp that it "sees" and so can react to better) producing incredible dynamics and unbelievably deep/tight bass.

In the past active audiophile designs have been expensive (think Meridian or PMC) yet professionals have been using active designs in all price ranges in the recording/mixing studios.  Now with computer and bluetooth sources we're finally seeing a market for something between iPod boom boxes and full blown audio systems.  Please feel free to add to this list of C&C qualified powered/active speaker based systems:

Audioengine A2+ (soon to be released):  $250/pair with DAC, just add a sub (Parts Express subs start at under $100, depending on tastes/need/room size)

Audioengine A5+: $400/pair, fairly well known, add a DAC

KEF X300A:  $800/pair, fully active with 24/96 DAC, uses uni-Q driver  http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/world-premier-review-kef-x300a-powered-speakers/

NuForce S3-BT: $300/pair, just use a smart phone/iTouch as a source for quality sound  http://www.hometheater.com/content/nuforce-s3-bt-wireless-speaker-system

PSB Alpha PS1: $300/pair, add a DAC  http://www.audiostream.com/content/psb-alpha-ps1-powered-speaker

And of course tons of fully active studio monitors such as:

Equator Audio D5: $400/pair, concentric driver, DSP optimized to each speaker  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec12/articles/equator-d5.htm

Event 20/20 BAS: $900/pair, rated 35 - 20K (still stand mount sized)  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar12/articles/event-bas-2020.htm

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: $1000 systems based on powered speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2013, 10:18 pm »
The first places I'd look for reasonably priced powered speakers are Behringher & Mackie(sp).

srb

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2013, 10:24 pm »
Kanto Yumi:  $399/pair, 24/192 DAC, Bluetooth, 2 x Optical, 2 x Analog, Subwoofer Out, Remote.  Available in Gloss Black, Matte Black, Matte White and Gloss Red.

Note:  The amplifier is currently a Class AB 30W/ch, but mid-summer will be replaced with a Class D amplifier.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2013, 10:35 pm »
I'm thinking about picking up these Vanatoo speakers.  They are powered and have a build in DAC. Pretty cool looking.

http://www.vanatoo.com/products/?slug=index.php&cPath=23_26

skifasterslc

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2013, 11:16 pm »
I applaud this thread as I use quad 12L active in my main rig.  Previously had the 12 passive and this is a substantial upgrade musically. 
Street price around $700, cant tell you how much I enjoy them and I've had speakers from $500-$5000.  Also had mackie hr824 (no thank-you)  Dont know how to explain, but I could not get "connected" to the music and did not enjoy listening.
I want to try some Adam a7x but they are more $$. 

There is tons of info online at the musician stores selling these "studio Monitors" and for instance guitar city you have 30 day return policy so what the hell. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2013, 03:21 am »
Culled from JohnR's thread on speakers with digital input, albeit no C&C considerations on his thread (he has some $65k speakers listed there):

Aktimate Micro. USD $500, AUD $335. Two-way, 4" woofer, dome tweeter. USB 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz digital input.

Alesis M1Active 320 USB. USD $99, AUD $159. Two-way, 3" woofer, 1" dome tweeter. USB 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz digital input.

Alesis M1Active 520 USB. USD $199, AUD?. Two-way, 5" woofer, 1" dome tweeter. USB 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz digital input.

Behringer MS20. AUD $179. Two-way, 3.5" woofer, 2.5" tweeter. 24-bit 96 kHz optical and coax digital input.

Behringer MS40. AUD $202. Two-way, 5" woofer, 2.5" tweeter. 24-bit 96 kHz optical and coax digital input.

Samson StudioDock 3i. AUD $224. Two-way, 3" woofer, 1" dome tweeter. USB ?-bit, ?-kHz digital input.

Samson Studio GT. AUD $274. Two-way, 4" woofer, 1" dome tweeter. USB 16-bit, 44.1/48-kHz digital input.

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2013, 04:02 am »
Quad 12.  Another that flies a little under the radar is Iquake.  Thought sound wise were on par or maybe a notch below Audioengine5.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2013, 04:27 am »
I've never heard them, but the Paradigm A2 look interesting.

neekomax

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 05:06 am »
I've never heard them, but the Paradigm A2 look interesting.

Pretty cool looking speakers, dig the stand/platform thingy.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2013, 05:13 am »
Kanto Yumi:  $399/pair, 24/192 DAC, Bluetooth, 2 x Optical, 2 x Analog, Subwoofer Out, Remote.  Available in Gloss Black, Matte Black, Matte White and Gloss Red.

Hi Steve, where did you find the spec on the DAC? Is that what the optical inputs will support?

Does Bluetooth stream uncompressed? (general question I suppose)

neekomax

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2013, 05:58 am »
Normally I would say KEF all the way:

BUT I feel like they really missed the mark on the i/o section. How do you add a sub?  :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2013, 07:04 am »
How do you add a sub?  :scratch:

Looks like you can't. Perhaps it works against the "Just connect, power and play" philosophy.

There were a couple mentioned earlier in this thread that have sub outs.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2013, 07:35 am »
Hi Steve, where did you find the spec on the [Kanto Yumi] DAC? Is that what the optical inputs will support?

Does Bluetooth stream uncompressed? (general question I suppose)

As there is no DAC specification on the website, I had inquired about it and was told by Edgar, the Tech Manager at Kanto, that the Yumi DAC was 24/192.  That is supposedly what the optical inputs will support, but obviously a lot of the TOSLINK hardware is limited to 24/96.

I didn't ask about Bluetooth, as I just assumed it was more convenience than performance oriented and used compression like many other Bluetooth solutions.

I have owned the previous model iPair 5 since 2008, chosen because it was one of the few powered speakers at the time with remote control which was a must for me because I was using multiple sources.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2013, 10:21 am »
Thanks for all the input.

As I slowly enter the computer audio world (frankly waiting for more CD/DVD players to die) I'm also in need of replacement gear for my 2nd audio system (casual listening in a large family space).  Which is what got me thinking along these lines and remembering an A/B session about 12 years ago between Paradigm Studio 20 and Active 20 speakers (both 2-way standmounts with the same drivers).  It was no contest, not even close.  Passersby were literally slackjawed when they realized that all the dynamic sound with tight/deep bass was coming from small speakers.  And they were missing the flat response/coherency that a 3/4 driver tower just can't deliver in a small room.

Yes, studio monitors can be hard to warm up to (the professional's function is to dissect, our's is to enjoy).  So studio monitors can be too ruthlessly revealing to endure long term (fatiguing).  Always interesting to find out what the professionals listen to at home (or at work to avoid listener fatigue in the first place).  Anyone care to share?

Care must always be taken in selecting the right speaker for the right job.  Beyond studio/home applications there is also desktop versus in-room use.  Some of the tiny ones wouldn't hold up beyond a desktop (just can't 'fill the room').  And I'm not sure how many in this price range could 'fill' a large room.  Some, like the KEF X300A (that have a DAC but no subwoofer output) might be perfect for desktop use or n a small music only room where a sub might be too much.

Many examples out there (had forgotten about the Quads).  Saw a static Paradigm A2 (can be run in mono, prices are usually quoted for one, cute little curved metal base are a bit pricey for what they are - $60 USD/pair).  Note that the bluetooth used in the NuForce S3-BT is new/improved technology and for casual listening like I'm looking into would allow for a complete system by simply adding an iTouch and using Apple AirPlay (the S3-BT has a USB power port).

Another example is the Nocs NS2: $400/pair, accepts AirPlay  http://www.digitaltrends.com/wireless-speaker-reviews/nocs-ns2-air-monitors-review/

Obviously powered/active speakers take away some of the audio hunting/tweaking fun, which is a seldom cited reason for lack of audiophile interest.

skifasterslc

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2013, 02:54 pm »
Yes, studio monitors can be hard to warm up to (the professional's function is to dissect, our's is to enjoy).  So studio monitors can be too ruthlessly revealing to endure long term (fatiguing).  Always interesting to find out what the professionals listen to at home (or at work to avoid listener fatigue in the first place).  Anyone care to share?

Great question.....

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2013, 03:15 pm »
Strange no one mentioned Emotiva?

I'm very happy with my Airmotiv 4's as PC speakers. $349/pair.

http://www.emotivapro.com/collections/all

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2013, 04:37 pm »
I'm not experienced with these speakers but is there a major advantage with a design that has a built in DAC?  The Vanatoo, Kef, Paragigm, B&W and several others have buit in DACS.  The Vanatoo is also class D powered with a built in DAC.  The Quad, Emotiva and several pro designs are simply powered. 

Just wondering, assuming you don't have a spare DAC, do the models with built in DACS offer a better value?  Is there a major performance difference?  For $500, those Vanatoo speakers look very tempting.  I'm not sure I do enough desktop listening to justify the cost.

Thanks,
Jack

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2013, 02:59 am »
Strange no one mentioned Emotiva?

I'm very happy with my Airmotiv 4's as PC speakers. $349/pair.

http://www.emotivapro.com/collections/all

Thanks for the shout out.  Anyone else have experience with the Emotivapro speakers?  For my application I was thinking of the 5's.

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2013, 03:06 am »
I'm not experienced with these speakers but is there a major advantage with a design that has a built in DAC?  The Vanatoo, Kef, Paragigm, B&W and several others have buit in DACS.  The Vanatoo is also class D powered with a built in DAC.  The Quad, Emotiva and several pro designs are simply powered. 

Just wondering, assuming you don't have a spare DAC, do the models with built in DACS offer a better value?  Is there a major performance difference?  For $500, those Vanatoo speakers look very tempting.  I'm not sure I do enough desktop listening to justify the cost.

Thanks,
Jack

Primarily integrating the DAC is just a matter of carrying the concept to the next degree/step.  It also opens the mind to other possibilities like DSP or pre-amp integration.  Beyond C&C range, but the AVi ADM9RSS ($2300 USD/pair, 2-way British standmount is fully active, has 2 digital and 1 analog input, subwoofer output, grill, plus remote control) is intended to function as a complete audio system, sans source(s).  I heard a previous version (ADM9T) last year and liked it much more than any studio monitor I've heard.  With sub they would make for a main system (overkill for desktop IMO).

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2013, 09:05 am »

My take on it is that it's the convenience factor. For a desktop system there's a lot to be said for just being able to plug a USB cable in. In theory you'd get a better performance/price than separates but I do worry that some of the built-in DACs are given less design/quality attention. One of the speakers mentioned here (I think it was the Nuforce) basically said on the product page that if you want better quality buy their external DAC.

So, audition as always...  :D