Painting MDF?

Zuman

Re: Painting MDF?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2021, 04:30 am »
It is, of course, none of my business, but are you absolutely sure you want to PAINT the MDF? I thought that was what I wanted, but many experts said that painting is the most difficult finish for an amateur.
I decided to try veneer and got some great coaching from Peter J. It was my first ever veneering project, I'm very pleased with the outcome, and I know that I would have been far less successful if I'd tried to paint them.

Edgar77

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2021, 04:36 am »
Thanks for the advice.

I thought painting is easier - but maybe not.
I am ok with "wood look" but it is not something that I really want. That was another reason why I thought about painting.
Maybe I have to so some more research about the options.

Maybe a summary or link from you: why is painting the most difficult for an amateur?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2021, 03:06 pm »
IMO, painting can be both easier and more difficult, depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you just want a passable flat black finish that looks decent from a few yards away, that’s relatively easy. If you want to have a nice smooth, uniform finish on MDF that still looks professional when you’re right up next to it, though, that will take much more work. When you’re painting something smooth like MDF, keep in mind that even something as seemingly minor as slight differences in the evenness of your sanding will be visible through the paint. There’s nowhere to hide... the surface must be SMOOTH and UNIFORM to look that way when the paint goes on. In my experience, the paint ain’t gonna hide it.

gaelen5

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2021, 06:04 pm »
I lurk on here, but can contribute to this. I had my speakers painted by a friend who paints vehicles. I can confirm what others have said in that it requires a lot of preparation and sanding to achieve a mirror finish. You can see some of the process I went through here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152363.0

Knowing what I know now, would I attempt this myself? Probably not. My friend is pro with a lot of control over spraying, with a whole shop set up just for painting. A single gun is over $1000, and house of kolor paint, marbilizer, and clear coat was probably $400. He also spent a ton of time power polishing the clear coat. However, I am very happy with the finish, and a few years later they're still perfect.

Edgar77

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2021, 11:04 pm »
I lurk on here, but can contribute to this. I had my speakers painted by a friend who paints vehicles. I can confirm what others have said in that it requires a lot of preparation and sanding to achieve a mirror finish. You can see some of the process I went through here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152363.0

Knowing what I know now, would I attempt this myself? Probably not. My friend is pro with a lot of control over spraying, with a whole shop set up just for painting. A single gun is over $1000, and house of kolor paint, marbilizer, and clear coat was probably $400. He also spent a ton of time power polishing the clear coat. However, I am very happy with the finish, and a few years later they're still perfect.

Thanks. Looks great, almost like marble.
That reminds me: Did anybody here try to do that in marble?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2021, 01:23 am »
Do you mean fabricate cabinets in natural stone? I guess it could be done, but it would be very time consuming and I can't imagine any sonic benefit. Most stone rings and needs substantial damping. Assuming DIY, you'd need capability to cut and polish stone...no small thing.

Edgar77

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2021, 01:43 am »
Do you mean fabricate cabinets in natural stone? I guess it could be done, but it would be very time consuming and I can't imagine any sonic benefit. Most stone rings and needs substantial damping. Assuming DIY, you'd need capability to cut and polish stone...no small thing.

It is definitely nothing I would try. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has already speakers in natural stone at home.

AlexH

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2021, 06:43 pm »
We have a gentleman in my area that makes his speakers from Corian. Not stone but heavy.