Cream

Mag

Cream
« on: 3 Nov 2018, 05:57 am »
Listening to Cream farewell concert 1968.
I gotta ask, was Cream the band that inspired, motivated and set the pattern for many of the rock bands that came afterwards?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Cream
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2018, 06:08 am »
Certainly it was, they were an instant success,
Van Hallen was quite similar to Cream.
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream
Cream, along with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, had a significant impact on popular music of his time, and, along with Hendrix, popularized the wah-wah pedal. They provided the music of a technically competent musical device that influenced emerging British bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and The Jeff Beck Group in the late 1960s. The band's performances influenced progressive rock bands such as Rush, jam bands such as The Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead, Phish and heavy metal bands such as Black Sabbath.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2018, 02:24 pm »
Cream was one of my favorites in the day. I played them all the time when I was a DJ at the local high school.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:41 pm »
Listening to Cream farewell concert 1968.
I gotta ask, was Cream the band that inspired, motivated and set the pattern for many of the rock bands that came afterwards?
They did that for pretty much every rock band that followed them.

No different than the original Black Sabbath setting the formula for metal, the “Big 4” of thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer) setting the formula for their respective genre, etc. Love them or hate them, Cream was THE influence for several generations that followed.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2018, 05:08 pm »
Three very talented musicians. Jack Bruce revolutionized the electric bass as lead in rock bands. Rather than just maintain the backbeat, he was very innovative. He inspired other players like John Entwistle. Their only weakness was sophistication of the music they wrote IMO. I bought each of their albums as soon as they were released. 

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2018, 08:22 pm »
Here's the thing with Cream:  Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were Jazz musicians, a bit older than a still very young Eric Clapton at the time.   Jack and Ginger challenged Eric like no other set of musicians have, and played a huge part in Clapton's growth as an artist. 

Cream and Taste (with Rory Gallagher) were my favorite bands during their heyday. 

fridays

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2018, 02:23 am »
I won tickets to see The Music of Cream 50th Anniversary Tour not sure if I will go sometimes it's better to just remember

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2018, 02:33 am »
Always good to see Clapton live :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2018, 04:08 am »
Watch the 2012 documentary "Beware of Mr. Baker" and wonder why anyone would want to play with him again:

"At home with rock 'n' roll monster Ginger Baker, Cream's legendary scarlet-maned, hell-raising drummer. This no-holds-barred, sad, and hilarious portrait of the man referred to as rock's first great drummer (and perhaps still its best) lets him tell his own story, intercut with footage of his continent-hopping life, from London to L.A., Nigeria, Italy, South Africa, and (way) beyond. Baker may have broken the mold musically, but his violent, dyspeptic mood swings, fueled by a multi-decade heroin addiction, went a long way to making him persona non grata even among the music greats who still revere his work."
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beware_of_mr_baker