Line Voltage - What is considered too high?

slowdive_1

Line Voltage - What is considered too high?
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm »
Recently picked up a Topaz Ultra Isolation transformer to try in my system.  Without question its very effective at removing noise from the line.  It does however increase the voltage by around 3V.  The local utility tends to run around 122 - 124V, which means as much as 127V coming out of the IT.  I've added a small 6.3V CT transformer in front of the Topaz for now to drop this back into the 120V range. I'd rather not use the buck transformer if it isn't really needed.

Just wondering what is considered too high when it comes to line voltage?  Will my BDP2 or BDA3 be bothered by 127V?

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Line Voltage - What is considered too high?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 01:16 pm »
The equips are labeled 115 or 120V in the back plate?

Mike Pickett

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:27 pm »
Recently picked up a Topaz Ultra Isolation transformer to try in my system.  Without question its very effective at removing noise from the line.  It does however increase the voltage by around 3V.  The local utility tends to run around 122 - 124V, which means as much as 127V coming out of the IT.  I've added a small 6.3V CT transformer in front of the Topaz for now to drop this back into the 120V range. I'd rather not use the buck transformer if it isn't really needed.

Just wondering what is considered too high when it comes to line voltage?  Will my BDP2 or BDA3 be bothered by 127V?

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

As long as the voltage never exceeds 127V, there should be no issue.  At around 128V, the BDP2 will shut down its power supply to protect the system board, so you don't have much margin on this...

The BDA3 should be safe to at least 130V.

Thanks,

Mike

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:34 pm »
The general rule is low voltage is bad for motors, high voltage bad for electronics.127 is not terrible.. but is high. I think the op should find a different voltage transformer. But also what about just reversing the connections. so what was out is now in and in out. That should reduce the voltage from the wall about three volts???

slowdive_1

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:45 pm »
Thanks Mike for the definitive answer!

Elizabeth, I have considered connecting the Topaz in reverse but have not been able to verify if it will be happy with that arrangement. I may well go ahead and try it as I'm not drawing much current through it.  We shall see...  Thanks for the suggestion!

Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:15 pm »
I would reverse it and use it for something cheap. Like a lighting fixture. Leave a few 100 watt bulbs on it for several hours.. what happens??

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2019, 08:45 pm »
While this afternoon my line voltage is 121.6V, I have occasionally seen it over 127V.
UL/NEC now require stuff to be rated at 125V.

Elizabeth

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:09 pm »
I did not know that. Thanks.  :thumb:
PS do you know about when that requirement began?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:12 pm »
My home is 220V, could it be the reason power cables have poor performance in my system!
In Euro Zone tension are 230V, and some selected countries are 240V.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:11 pm »
I did not know that. Thanks.  :thumb:
PS do you know about when that requirement began?
It was in the NEC 2008 code book.
I don't have an older book handy.

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:37 pm »
https://www.spgsamerica.com/information/acceptable-voltage-ranges

Code allows continuous 114 - 126V at the meter. Occasional surges up to 127V are allowed for limited duration. Certified appliances are designed to handle this, but not all hifi products are certified UL/CE, etc. Bryston uses real engineers so I'm sure it would have no problem with high mains voltage.

If you're concerned about other brands, then I would trade in the overvoltage isolation transformer for one that outputs same voltage as input, or even better upgrade to a low distortion regenerator.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2019, 03:07 pm »
I would think that the only hi-fi components that might have trouble operating with high line voltage are legacy or boutique units that have power transformers designed for 110 or 115V.  Over voltage can cause a transformer to saturate with resultant hum or buzz.

No hi-fi component will be damaged by a few volts of over voltage.