Other stuff on sale

audioengr

Other stuff on sale
« on: 2 Dec 2013, 05:55 pm »
Other specials on demo gear (email me at nugent@empiricalaudio.com, all sales final):

1) Off-Ramp 4, with USB Hynes reg, Turboclock, AC adapter for OR5, OT mod (latest transformer), BNC output and RCA adapter (loaded) - $1200.00 plus shipping and PayPal fee - SOLD

2) Hynes SR3-12 3-amp linear power supply with cable customized for Off-Ramp or Synchro-Mesh - $500.00 plus shipping and PayPal fee - SOLD

3) Monolith LI battery supply with new batteries ($1299 new) - $700.00 plus shipping and PayPal fee

4) 1m long Top Fuel power cord ($450 new) - $165.00 plus shipping and PayPal fee - SOLD

5) 10 foot pair Clarity7 speaker cables ($1299.00 new)  - $800.00 plus shipping and PayPal fee 

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 01:50 am by audioengr »

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
Re: Cyber Monday special on Off-Ramp 5 - and more!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2013, 07:54 pm »
If one were to start from scratch with your system, and wanted the best computer audio source possible, which combo of your products would you recommend and what would be the total price? Assume a top notch pre-amp, and a USB (MacBook/iTunes) data source.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2013, 12:45 am »
If one were to start from scratch with your system, and wanted the best computer audio source possible, which combo of your products would you recommend and what would be the total price? Assume a top notch pre-amp, and a USB (MacBook/iTunes) data source.

USB and the Off-Ramp 5 as a digital source will get you the best SQ, assuming you already have a good DAC with coax input.

I recommend this configuration:

Off-Ramp 5 - $1299.00
S/PDIF Hynes reg - $250.00 - on sale for $0 today only
Turboclock - $700.00
BNC-BNC coax cable with RCA adapters - $250.00
Dynamo Power supply - $699.00

Total for a world-class digital reference - $2948.00 plus shipping

And I know what you are saying to yourself: "I have a really good coax cable, I don't need this one".  Well, you do actually.

The USB cable matters as well and the best out there seems to be the Audioquest Diamond. If too rich for your blood, the AQ Coffee.

If you want to include DAC and analog stuff, I can add this as well.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2013, 02:12 am »
The AQ USB better than the Revelation?

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:58 am »
The AQ USB better than the Revelation?

Have not compared them.  for a shorter one, maybe the Revelation wins.

trueaudiophile

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2013, 01:28 am »
Hi, I have had the AQ Diamondback USB and now have the Revelation Audio Labs, I am here to tell you that the Revelation wins hands down!  It is smoother cleaner, with more detail and soundstage as well.  One of the best changes I ever made. Remember, USB cable matters! :)

Thanks,

Tom P

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2013, 03:37 am »
Hi, I have had the AQ Diamondback USB and now have the Revelation Audio Labs, I am here to tell you that the Revelation wins hands down!  It is smoother cleaner, with more detail and soundstage as well.  One of the best changes I ever made. Remember, USB cable matters! :)

Thanks,

Tom P

That is good to know.  You know where to get Revelation.  Right here.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Other stuff on sale
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2013, 08:23 pm »
That Top Fuel Silver or Copper?

DaveBSC

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2013, 08:59 pm »

The USB cable matters as well and the best out there seems to be the Audioquest Diamond. If too rich for your blood, the AQ Coffee.

Steve N.

Not my experience at all, I've found the AQ USB cables to be extremely mediocre. As has already been said, RAL's cable is easily better than AQ's Diamond. The JCAT USB cable sold by JPLAY is also massively better than anything AQ sells. You can of course spend an insane amount of money on a Siltech Golden Universal or Crystal Dreamline, but I'm not sure you'll get any better sound than the RAL or JCAT.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2013, 05:45 am »
That Top Fuel Silver or Copper?

Silver plug, copper wire with silver plating.

s\Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2013, 12:06 am »
A friend sent his Audioquest Diamond USB cable for me to play with. I find it pretty silly doing a comparison on USB Cables, simply because they are absolutely system dependent. You never know how a computer or DAC is going to mesh with one over the other. Thought I'd share this with you all though :)

My current is the Revelation Dual with dual type A connectors, power conduit disconnected in my rig...

I found the Audioquest to be more than mediocre for sure.... In comparison to the Revelation, it is not as snappy in dynamics and leading edge transients, but it is close.

The Revelation is more forward, in a good way, than the Audioquest in my system. Revelation is exciting and fun without losing composure or being harsh. It feels more direct, if that makes sense... Just great all around.

Where the Audioquest shines is in the ambience department. It hints at the farther reaches of the soundstage better, and has a bit quieter background..

The Audioquest is more laid back, but I found it rather enjoyable to listen to. It has a wonderful sense of ease and it does not miss anything in the details. Might hold a little better lock on images also, but this is a maybe...

All that said, I will not be buying the Audioquest Diamond as I have the Revelation. They are just too close to justify the extra expense of the AQ, and I prefer the extra slam in my system. They are mildly different, and are both great at what they do, and I do not believe anyone would regret either of them.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 12:13 am by paul79 »

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:43 pm »
A friend sent his Audioquest Diamond USB cable for me to play with. I find it pretty silly doing a comparison on USB Cables, simply because they are absolutely system dependent. You never know how a computer or DAC is going to mesh with one over the other. Thought I'd share this with you all though :)

My current is the Revelation Dual with dual type A connectors, power conduit disconnected in my rig...

I found the Audioquest to be more than mediocre for sure.... In comparison to the Revelation, it is not as snappy in dynamics and leading edge transients, but it is close.

The Revelation is more forward, in a good way, than the Audioquest in my system. Revelation is exciting and fun without losing composure or being harsh. It feels more direct, if that makes sense... Just great all around.

Where the Audioquest shines is in the ambience department. It hints at the farther reaches of the soundstage better, and has a bit quieter background..

The Audioquest is more laid back, but I found it rather enjoyable to listen to. It has a wonderful sense of ease and it does not miss anything in the details. Might hold a little better lock on images also, but this is a maybe...

All that said, I will not be buying the Audioquest Diamond as I have the Revelation. They are just too close to justify the extra expense of the AQ, and I prefer the extra slam in my system. They are different, and are both great at what they do, and I do not believe anyone would regret either of them.

I have both of these cables. Calling the AQ Diamond mediocre is a little harsh. My impressions are very similar to Paul's.

I find the AQ smooth and very laid back. I listen to a lot of jazz and this cable seems to be a really good fit in my system for that type of listening. Contrary to some of the CA posts on the AQ, I was never really blown away by it's performance (especially at the price point). Over time I grew to appreciate the flow and ease of it's presentation.

The Revelation is by contrast more forward and lively sounding. I am getting more bass definition with this cable, I can hear and feel the bass at much lower volumes with the RAL. One difference I hear compared to Paul is that the ambiance of the RAL in my system is bigger and warmer sounding than the AQ. Julie London's rendition of "Cry Me a River" absolutely fills the room (it sounds thinner on the AQ). Another example is Melody Garnot's treatment of "If I'm Lucky" on Charlie Haden's Sophisticated Ladies. This track sounds warm and lush on both cables, but it's almost over the top with the RAL. Ambiance in spades, think smoke filled jazz club.

I am not sure which of these cables I prefer. I need some more time living with the RAL to form an opinion (in fact my RAL isn't even close to it's 250 hours of break in time as recommended by Brad). What I can say is these cables sound vastly different to me. They are both excellent and worthy of audition.

toddc2

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2014, 07:33 pm »
UPDATE: I ended up keeping the Revelation cable, I really like the lively nature of this cable and couldn't switch back to the AQ Diamond.

QUESTION: I tried pulling the power leg after getting the driver loaded but my OR5 went into mute mode. I am using OSX 10.9.1 with the Northstar driver for the OR5. Does anyone else have the power-less RAL working with 10.9.1 and if so is there a specific procedure to get it to work?

Todd

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2014, 09:20 pm »
Did you try simply powering everything down and back up with the power conduit disconnected?

toddc2

« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2014, 11:40 pm »
I actually tried that first, thinking that the OR5 and ShortBlock would prevent the DC from going through to my DAC. For some reason the OR5 won't handshake with my MacBook Pro until I plug the power conduit in. And it won't let me disconnect it.

I will admit I haven't played with it much...

Todd

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:28 am »
Are you sure it is the power conduit you are disconnecting instead of the data? If everything there is correct, it is likely a setting in the MacBook itself. Make sure it is set to output with the OR5, and make sure the music player you are using is set for the OR5 also.

toddc2

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:10 pm »
Positive on the power conduit (the leg with the label). Last night I pulled the power conduit and my OR5 went into mute after about 10 seconds. I tried again and it played for 15 minutes without a glitch. I will spend some time using the RAL without the power leg to see if I can determine why my results are inconsistent.

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2014, 05:56 pm »
Positive on the power conduit (the leg with the label). Last night I pulled the power conduit and my OR5 went into mute after about 10 seconds. I tried again and it played for 15 minutes without a glitch. I will spend some time using the RAL without the power leg to see if I can determine why my results are inconsistent.

It might be a ground-loop or static discharge.  Cold areas of the country have very dry air.

Make sure that the computer and the Off-Ramp are powered from the same AC outlet for best SQ  and to avoid these types of problems.

Steve N.

toddc2

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2014, 07:28 pm »
Thanks Steve. The OR5 and the computer are on the same AC outlet. Your comment on the static could be on to something: I have noticed an occassional glitch in playback where the OR5 will mute, my DAC loses sync, and then the OR5 goes back to playing again. When this happens it takes about 1 or 2 seconds before music starts playing again. This is with the power leg of the dual conduit connected.

I wonder if the same glitch is causing the OR5 to stay muted until the 5VDC handshake? Does the OR5 even need a handshake? It appears so, but I don't understand how that could be if the Short Block cuts the 5 volt line anyway.

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2014, 08:08 pm »
Thanks Steve. The OR5 and the computer are on the same AC outlet. Your comment on the static could be on to something: I have noticed an occassional glitch in playback where the OR5 will mute, my DAC loses sync, and then the OR5 goes back to playing again. When this happens it takes about 1 or 2 seconds before music starts playing again. This is with the power leg of the dual conduit connected.

I wonder if the same glitch is causing the OR5 to stay muted until the 5VDC handshake? Does the OR5 even need a handshake? It appears so, but I don't understand how that could be if the Short Block cuts the 5 volt line anyway.

There is no 5V handshake.  It is only there to provide power.  The 5V line is cut by the Short-Block.

Are you certain that its not a software problem? I have to actually uninstall and reinstall Amarra periodically due to memory leaks building up....

Steve N.