Veracity STs in their new space!

Ace Deprave

Veracity STs in their new space!
« on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:41 pm »
Some of you may remember this thread that I started when the project was in the planning phase

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126619

I'm now happy to report (and display) the final results!

What started out as a formal living and dining room has now become our adult oasis.

When I bought the house in 2003, this is what the room looked like. My ex-wife and I bought the house from her parents and the room was never really used, so the decor stayed in place.

After we divorced, the room got a bit more use as an office, play room, and keeping place for old furniture.

Last year I remarried, and when we sold my wife's house this summer, we decided to transform the seldom used room into an entertaining room. This was an idea I had for the room since I bought the house, and it turned out even better than I had anticipated.

The initial construction/destruction begins...removing trim and decorative spindles:

Let the framing begin!

Roxul Safe'n'Sound batting...we also did double drywall and Green Glue on the foyer side of the wall.

Drywall in place, taped and floated:

Painting is fun!

Walls and trim in place and painted:

Reclaimed doors from Spanish Missions in Mexico:

Carpet removed and TV in place:

Hardwood floor installation...possibly the hardest work I've ever done. The first pic is after 16 hours (on Labor Day), then 7 hours more after work on Wednesday to finish.

The entertainment center has arrived:

Electronics and area rug in place:

Acoustic Art Panels from GIK Acoustics

Construction of the bar, using the reclaimed doors as bar tops. Trim work is reclaimed heart pine that we ripped and ran through the planer. The bar itself is made of plywood and we did a crackle paint finish to make it look as old as the rest of it.

Jazz Fest poster that had been in a poster tube in my closet for 12 years, now framed and in place:

Bar lights and new furniture in place. Time to enjoy!!!

My AV equipment consists of
Samsung F8500 64"
Marantz SR7008
Parasound Halo P5
Emotiva XPA-5
Salk Veracity STs
Salk Supercharged Song Center
Rythmik F12 SE subwoofers
NHT SuperOne surrounds

Phil A

Re: Veracity STs in their new space!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:42 pm »
Great job and pics!!

ernest787

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2014, 04:06 pm »
what a transformation!  That looks really awesome

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:23 pm »
Looks great.

Curious why you didn't blow out the knee wall entirely instead of building around it?

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:55 pm »
Looks great! I would love my audio room to look this well orchestrated and clean.

Enjoy!  :thumb:

Ace Deprave

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2014, 07:13 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Looks great.

Curious why you didn't blow out the knee wall entirely instead of building around it?

It just would have been more work just to have to frame up again, move outlets, etc.

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2014, 07:57 pm »
I think I like rustic bar as much as the speakers.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2014, 08:47 pm »
Looks fantastic. I bet your kids are now a lot nicer to you too.

JonnyFive

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2014, 09:04 pm »
Looks great!!

Those NHT Super Ones have integrated nicely too.  At what frequency do you cross them over?  They are able to keep up without any signs of distress during movies? 

Jon

Ace Deprave

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm »
Looks fantastic. I bet your kids are now a lot nicer to you too.

Thanks!

Yeah, they have the old family room as their own living room now...with a 50" Pioneer Kuro 5080 an Onkyo 703 and Polk Audio LCR and surrounds. So they better be nice!  :lol:

Looks great!!

Those NHT Super Ones have integrated nicely too.  At what frequency do you cross them over?  They are able to keep up without any signs of distress during movies? 

Jon
Thank you!

I currently have them crossed over at 80 Hz, but I think I'm going to experiment with them to see if I can hear a difference crossing them at 60 Hz. They're supposed to play down to 56 Hz, so we'll see.

robcentola

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2014, 11:18 pm »
Outstanding.

chargedmr2

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2014, 11:31 pm »
Wow!  The first few pictures hurt my eyes, but by the end of the series they fully recovered, and some  :) Thanks for sharing!

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:29 am »
Very nice!  :thumb:

bajaed

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2014, 06:34 am »
Very nice. The Red Rocks panels are awesome, been there dozens of times and it's a special place to see a concert. The bar is trick.

Great job.

neep

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2014, 07:52 am »
Wow, what an unbelievably awesome project. The acoustic panels from GIK are a nice touch.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2014, 11:16 am »
Whoa, cool!  :thumb:

When is the big party for all us AC members???  :lol:

Ace Deprave

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2014, 01:02 pm »
Very nice. The Red Rocks panels are awesome, been there dozens of times and it's a special place to see a concert. The bar is trick.

Great job.

Thanks! I lived in Denver from '94 - '02, and was fortunate to have seen a ton of shows there too. I took my wife there this summer for her first Red Rocks show, and first Widespread Panic show. She was in awe!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:30 am »
The room looks great.  I noticed you used one of my tricks.  Leave the old carpet as a drop cloth.  If it can't be used by someone else might as well.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2015, 09:53 pm »
This is a very inspiring post!!! GREAT ROOM!!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2015, 12:15 am »
I don't know how I missed this originally, I LOVE seeing other guy's builds.  I have posted numerous transitions of my own, and it is always cool to see how others take to it.

That carpet removal and hardwood install is a bear.  I did our main floor years ago, but contracted out the upper floor when we decided to do it up there.  It was just too much.

LOVE those reclaimed mission doors as the bar top, that is a very cool idea.

Every darn set of Salk's look the business, yours look great in their new home.