My new speaker search

JonnyFive

Re: My new speaker search
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2014, 02:35 pm »
Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

It seems like you really like the detailed midrange presentation that the Accuton gives.  The Accuton in a 3 way design is ideal, IMO, since you relieve it of all the bass duties.  The 4" Accuton in the SSx series will allow the speaker to disappear more into the room versus a 7".  Also, the closed/open/semi-open back feature is really nice to have.

Pretty hard to beat the SS8s for value, IMO, unless you really really need that last bit of bass extension. You could save $4k and spend it on amps, source material, etc... 

Keep the thoughts coming, it's an enjoyable read.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2014, 02:38 pm »
Note that you can upgrade your Fet Valve 400R to a 600R for the difference in price ($500) plus shipping.

The amp should be VERY quiet.  Perhaps you are due for new tubes or there is something else causing the noise issue?

Call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.  The 600R will handle most any speakers and does a great job with the Salk Soundscape series.

Frank Van Alstine

advanced101

« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2014, 02:55 pm »
Note that you can upgrade your Fet Valve 400R to a 600R for the difference in price ($500) plus shipping.

The amp should be VERY quiet.  Perhaps you are due for new tubes or there is something else causing the noise issue?

Call me at 651-330-9871 for more help.  The 600R will handle most any speakers and does a great job with the Salk Soundscape series.

Frank Van Alstine

I knew I'd hear from you, haha.  I will most likely upgrade to the 600R, I would hate to get rid of the amp.  I'm going to hold off until the subs come in and I plug the ports and get the crossover situated to see how much more I really need.
The issue is more with the power than the background.

advanced101

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:07 pm »
For anyone following along.

I talked to Jim this morning and finished the details on the Subs.  The setup will end up being like the Exotica IIIs but with the 7R on top, in separate cabinets.  This will give me the flexibility in the future to swap out the top with something else if I want.
I plan on plugging the ports and running the 7R full range resulting in a roll off above 100 Hz and have the 8"s crossed in.  Hopefully this will give me what I am looking for, if not I can sell the 7R and get an MTM built with the Accutons and a RAAL which I predict will give me the dynamics I am used to.

Now I wish BRM would let his details on his Exotica IIIs be known, in case he is doing something I might want to copy.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jul 2014, 04:41 pm »
We usually can do a quick turnaround (less then 2 weeks) for a 400R to Fet Valve 600R upgrade.

Frank

Big Red Machine

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2014, 12:00 am »

Now I wish BRM would let his details on his Exotica IIIs be known, in case he is doing something I might want to copy.

No worries. I am not making any technical changes that affect the speaker design.  I am getting 2-piece cabinets which IMO would be fine for anyone wanting that except for my more PITA mounting of the top to the bottom method.  I designed a base I will have made and my aesthetics are what is causing hesitation.  It will be a major challenge.

advanced101

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2014, 12:21 pm »
No worries. I am not making any technical changes that affect the speaker design.  I am getting 2-piece cabinets which IMO would be fine for anyone wanting that except for my more PITA mounting of the top to the bottom method.  I designed a base I will have made and my aesthetics are what is causing hesitation.  It will be a major challenge.

Ha, I was half way messing with you when I called you out on in my post, since everyone else has been wondering what you're up to.
It is definitely not a bad idea to design a good way to mount the top to the bottom, rather than it just sitting on top.  But then again I would want to compare isolation vs. coupling the cabinets.

It pretty exciting that a few people are jumping onto the Exotica IIIs