Rythmik sub(s) as companions to my Veracity STs

Ace Deprave

Rythmik sub(s) as companions to my Veracity STs
« on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:30 pm »
I've been enjoying my Veracity STs and Supercharged Song Center for almost a year now, and it's time to replace my sub. I'll be transforming our formal lving/dining area into a sealed media/entertaining room, and would like to get some opinions on which sub will be better for my application. I'm a 50/50 music/home theatre guy, so I want something that will play deep, but also be musically accurate and integrate well. The specs on my Velodyne, for comparison sake, are 28hz - 120hz +/- 3 dB.

So here's my dilemma...should I go for dual 12" Rythmiks or a single 15" with the passive radiators? My room is about 3100 cubic feet and won't be open to any other rooms. The only think I know for sure is that I want Jim's version of the Rythmik veneered to match my Veracity STs.

Here is an approximate layout of what the room will end up looking like.

Thanks for your help!

coke

Re: Rythmik sub(s) as companions to my Veracity STs
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:45 pm »
Go with multiple subs.

Also, take a look at power sound audio. I've been very happy with my 2 XV15 subs.  I primarily use them for movies though.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:58 pm »
Ruff Call

To me it depends mainly on a choice between music and HT.

If you rather have better sound in music-I would go with 2 subs
If you rather have more realistic deep bass associated with movie excitement- I would go with deepest/highest db , 15", most power amp

Ace Deprave

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:12 pm »
I think I'm easier to please when it comes to HT, so being able to get the music right is more important to me. I've been looking at the specs on Rythmik's site since there aren't any on the Salk page, and it appears that all of the Rythmiks will play considerably deeper than the sub I've been satisfied with for the last 15 years...so HT shouldn't be an issue.

Jim, if you happen to read this, do you have any specs for your subs? I'm also curious as to which amps you use in yours.

Thanks!

-Dave

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:19 pm »
Consider a sub for HT and a different sub for music. An HT sub is a totally different "beast" from a 2-channel sub, and it's very difficult for a single sub to serve both purposes exceptionally well. 

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:27 pm »
Dual 12" for sure. Two or even better 3 subs will smooth out mode issues. Getting music correct is 1st priority. The home theater will be fine unless you are a hard core home theater guy needing subsonic bombastic bass. If you have a waf issue tell her you are going with 5 subs then work backwards.  :lol:

srb

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »
5 Rythmik 12"s.

If you have a waf issue tell her you are going with 5 subs then work backwards.  :lol:

If you have a WAF issue tell her you are going with 9 subs then work backwards!

Steve

Ace Deprave

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2014, 07:03 pm »
5 Rythmik 12"s.

If you have a WAF issue tell her you are going with 9 subs then work backwards!

Steve

Hahaha, my wife tells me to get whatever I want, but in addition to subs, I want a new AVR, TV, and room treatments, as well as flooring, furniture, and the bar!

:lol:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2014, 07:25 pm »
Hahaha, my wife tells me to get whatever I want, but in addition to subs, I want a new AVR, TV, and room treatments, as well as flooring, furniture, and the bar!

Tell her you want the 201" C Seed 201, then work backward to the Samsung 55" KN55S9CAFXZA Curved OLED TV.

Don't forget to super-stock the bar!

Steve

DEP14

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2014, 07:41 pm »
I would absolutely go 2 subs if you can.  It's just much easier to get a flatter response and remove any localization.  I have a couple SVS PC-12 plus subs and it really evened out my response.  I tend to listen to music with subs on though (crossed over at 40hz).  Sometimes it's fun to run them a bit hot depending on the music.

The one thing I can tell you is some sort of good sub EQ program is a huge benefit.  I have Audyseey XT32.  I like it on my center, rears, and subs (subs being most important).  I actually bypass it on my mains.

I'm sure I could get close with the built-in parametric EQ's and room EQ, but the Audyseey XT does a pretty nice job and is dead nuts simple.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2014, 08:50 pm »
I would absolutely go 2 subs if you can.  It's just much easier to get a flatter response and remove any localization.  I have a couple SVS PC-12 plus subs and it really evened out my response.  I tend to listen to music with subs on though (crossed over at 40hz).  Sometimes it's fun to run them a bit hot depending on the music.

The one thing I can tell you is some sort of good sub EQ program is a huge benefit.  I have Audyseey XT32.  I like it on my center, rears, and subs (subs being most important).  I actually bypass it on my mains.

I'm sure I could get close with the built-in parametric EQ's and room EQ, but the Audyseey XT does a pretty nice job and is dead nuts simple.

I'm definitely getting an AVR with XT32, leaning towards the Marantz 7008. I'll have acoustic treatments too, probably GIK Art Panels, some sort of sound absorbing curtains, plush furniture, and a large area rug since the floors will be hardwood. Gotta find the right balance...I don't want the room to be dead silent or totally live. My current family room is square, with a wall right behind the seating area, so it will be nice to have some space behind me in this room.

ricardojoa

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:05 pm »
If i can go back, i would i have gone with two 12 over one 15 :lol:

coke

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:09 pm »
I'm definitely getting an AVR with XT32, leaning towards the Marantz 7008. I'll have acoustic treatments too, probably GIK Art Panels, some sort of sound absorbing curtains, plush furniture, and a large area rug since the floors will be hardwood. Gotta find the right balance...I don't want the room to be dead silent or totally live. My current family room is square, with a wall right behind the seating area, so it will be nice to have some space behind me in this room.

Check out accessories4less.  They have the 7008 for $1150.  That should allow you to up your sub budget  :thumb:

Gzerro

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2014, 11:50 pm »
I have 2 sealed Salk/Rythmik 15" subs with my SongTower RT 5.2 system and am really happy with them.

There was a delay on parts for one of them so I had about a month with a single sub, and it sounded fantastic. I wasn't expecting a huge difference with the 2nd sub, but when it arrived I was shocked how much better it was.

I would definitely recommend multiple subs if you have space and budget.

Good luck!

Ace Deprave

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2014, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if the 12" has the 370 watt or 600 watt amplifier?

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2014, 07:10 pm »
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if the 12" has the 370 watt or 600 watt amplifier?

270.  It does not need to move as much air so the power requirements are lower.  It is a perfect size amp for the driver used in this design.

- Jim

Ace Deprave

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:04 pm »
270.  It does not need to move as much air so the power requirements are lower.  It is a perfect size amp for the driver used in this design.

- Jim

Thanks, Jim! Are the frequency responses the same for your subs as they are on Rythmik's website? Do you think that 2 of the 12" subs will be adequate for my room?

ricardojoa

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2014, 05:54 am »
Hey Ace,
when i was researching about rythmik subs very long time ago, i remember Brian said that the 15 is almost twice the output of the 12. Im guessing is probably due to the sensitivity being higher. I cant say for sure but that just remembering of my head. If price isnt diifernt much between the two, i will probably go with the F15.
As with the response, if it is built to rythmik specs, it should be identical. The 12 comes with aluminum and GR paper cone, Ritchie at GR claims that the paper is more musical  :lol:, but as i remember Brian said that the paper is a little better on the top end, eg in the 100hz region.

The info is of from head so you may want to ask Brian about it.

Rocket

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm »
Hi,

Trust Jim's advice regarding which subwoofer to buy I did and I'm very happy with my Salk Sound Rhythmic subwoofers in my system.   There is some debate regarding how many subwoofers to use in your system.  All I know is that one subwoofer does not suffer from vocalisation. 

Two Salk Sound Rhythmic subwoofers will cost you $2600us at least.

Cheers Rod

Ace Deprave

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm »
Hey Ace,
when i was researching about rythmik subs very long time ago, i remember Brian said that the 15 is almost twice the output of the 12. Im guessing is probably due to the sensitivity being higher. I cant say for sure but that just remembering of my head. If price isnt diifernt much between the two, i will probably go with the F15.
As with the response, if it is built to rythmik specs, it should be identical. The 12 comes with aluminum and GR paper cone, Ritchie at GR claims that the paper is more musical  :lol:, but as i remember Brian said that the paper is a little better on the top end, eg in the 100hz region.

The info is of from head so you may want to ask Brian about it.

Thanks, I'm going to do some more research...I have a feeling I'm going to blow my budget again! :lol: When I decided I was ready to buy my mains, I was going to go with standard Songtowers, but ended up with Veracity STs. Oh well, you only live once, right?!?