Songtower RT - Delighted New Owner

abongiov

Songtower RT - Delighted New Owner
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:02 pm »
So, I have decided to wait a few days before posting about my brand new SongTower -RT option. I don’t have pics because I went with the standard Black satin finish (WAF said black only), with full front baffle (higher WAF).
Like somebody wrote it here already, there is nothing standard about it. They make my TV cabinet look crappy.
Now about the audio. Well, saying I am pleased with it does not even come close to it. The first thing that hit me is the width and depth of the soundstage. That alone changes a lot of thing.
I had to remove very quickly the demo CD, I am sorry. Wife didn’t like the first few tracks. I’ll give it another trial later on.
I started with Eddie Vedder - Ukulele album. I have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now. and just love it. It might sound awful to use such good speakers to listen to a singer and a uke but it is very well produced, most of the tracks have a couple of Uke’s playing, background vocals...but still far from a full orchestra. And I pick up the depth of the soundstage with that record. One of the song has also a Cello in it. Everything sounded just so natural. The voice also add more subtleties.
On the second night, my wife told me that even though the sound was much better she didn’t think it was worth 5x times the price of my 15 years old B&W. Well, that’s partly because she was used to the smoother ‘British sound’, and because she did not heard the Salk without the Grills (6 and 2 y old kids) as I have done. So after the kids were asleep, I remove the Grill, put her in the sweet spot and put on a song she listened to a million times: Out of Love from Toto (album Past to Present). It took her 47 seconds to say ‘worth every penny’. We just never heard that song like this. The backgrounds vocals were so clean and detailed, the soundstage just incredible, every instrument was so easily discernible, tight bass, powerful drum (RIP Jeff Porcaro).
And for those who wonder about the ribbon tweeter, only for the cymbals its totally worth it.

It will take me months to revisit my CD collection. My setup consist of Creek Evolution 2 CDP and Integrated amplifier. Creek is more on the “musical” side and I think it goes very well with the ST. I am happy not to have gone the Squeezebox/DAC way now. I’ll enjoy my system like this for several months and I’ll do the transition to discless music when I can afford a significant step up from this.

Thank you Jim, sorry I did not talk that much about the speakers. Quick summary:  I have done my duty before buying and went listen to speakers from Totem, Vandersteen and PSB and then you put me in contact with a ST owner and when I auditioned them, I knew I’d never find so good at this price through a dealer.

All, sorry if this post was too long and didn’t give enough info on all the speakers qualities but all I could hear was music...and in the end that’s what matter most.

PS: I am using a Roku player to watch movie, it goes through a cheap Beresford TC7510 and into the Creek. Even though that media does not come close to my CDP in sound definition, there is a definitive improvement with the ST for both dialogue and action scenes. Clearer, cleaner and fuller all at the same time.

MichaelHiFi

Re: Songtower RT - Delighted New Owner
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:31 pm »
I like reading about audio success stories like this. Especially when the wife gets on board with the sound "worth every penny". It took 47 seconds?

Sounds like a very special setup.

Congratulations!   :thumb:

Paul K.

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:39 pm »
I'm curious.  What about the first few tracks on Jim's demo CD didn't your wife like and why?  I personally don't know what those tracks contain, but it piques my interest.
Paul

So, I have decided to wait a few days before posting about my brand new SongTower -RT option. I don’t have pics because I went with the standard Black satin finish (WAF said black only), with full front baffle (higher WAF).
Like somebody wrote it here already, there is nothing standard about it. They make my TV cabinet look crappy.
Now about the audio. Well, saying I am pleased with it does not even come close to it. The first thing that hit me is the width and depth of the soundstage. That alone changes a lot of thing.
I had to remove very quickly the demo CD, I am sorry. Wife didn’t like the first few tracks. I’ll give it another trial later on.
I started with Eddie Vedder - Ukulele album. I have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now. and just love it. It might sound awful to use such good speakers to listen to a singer and a uke but it is very well produced, most of the tracks have a couple of Uke’s playing, background vocals...but still far from a full orchestra. And I pick up the depth of the soundstage with that record. One of the song has also a Cello in it. Everything sounded just so natural. The voice also add more subtleties.
On the second night, my wife told me that even though the sound was much better she didn’t think it was worth 5x times the price of my 15 years old B&W. Well, that’s partly because she was used to the smoother ‘British sound’, and because she did not heard the Salk without the Grills (6 and 2 y old kids) as I have done. So after the kids were asleep, I remove the Grill, put her in the sweet spot and put on a song she listened to a million times: Out of Love from Toto (album Past to Present). It took her 47 seconds to say ‘worth every penny’. We just never heard that song like this. The backgrounds vocals were so clean and detailed, the soundstage just incredible, every instrument was so easily discernible, tight bass, powerful drum (RIP Jeff Porcaro).
And for those who wonder about the ribbon tweeter, only for the cymbals its totally worth it.

It will take me months to revisit my CD collection. My setup consist of Creek Evolution 2 CDP and Integrated amplifier. Creek is more on the “musical” side and I think it goes very well with the ST. I am happy not to have gone the Squeezebox/DAC way now. I’ll enjoy my system like this for several months and I’ll do the transition to discless music when I can afford a significant step up from this.

Thank you Jim, sorry I did not talk that much about the speakers. Quick summary:  I have done my duty before buying and went listen to speakers from Totem, Vandersteen and PSB and then you put me in contact with a ST owner and when I auditioned them, I knew I’d never find so good at this price through a dealer.

All, sorry if this post was too long and didn’t give enough info on all the speakers qualities but all I could hear was music...and in the end that’s what matter most.

PS: I am using a Roku player to watch movie, it goes through a cheap Beresford TC7510 and into the Creek. Even though that media does not come close to my CDP in sound definition, there is a definitive improvement with the ST for both dialogue and action scenes. Clearer, cleaner and fuller all at the same time.

Meicheng

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:16 am »
One of the great strengths of the Songtowers is that they sound great with a variety of "mid-fi" equipment.  I don't mean mid-fi in a bad way, its just that you don't need megabucks equipment to mate with the Songtowers to get great results. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2012, 01:34 am »
Great story.  For a minute there I thought a new wife was in order as well!

abongiov

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:06 am »
Paul K,

The first song has a long accordion intro..skipped. The second is a bass solo, skipped, the third started with huge vocals singing:'becauce the world is round' and then we changed CD.
To her defense, she was more in the mood for casual listening. She is studying almost every night to pass the US Patent agent exam.
But I am listening to that CD now and enjoying Fever with Ray Charles.

Meicheng,

I know there is stuff that I will never try to afford out there but between electronics and the speakers, it is a 5k system.  I know it is not high end but mid-fi...ouch!
Don't worry I know what you mean. I was afraid that these speakers will make some of my CD inaudible (because of bad recording) but so far none of those. So yes, I do think the Songtower are quite easy too mate.
But I do remember some here suggesting not too neutral electronics, just a little bit warm/musical and not too analytical. That's fit pretty well my Creek setup.

Meicheng

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:17 am »
Abongiov - Creek electronics are very high value, providing a fantastic value for the $$.  I am in the same ballpark gear-wise and certainly did not mean to imply anything negative with my "mid-fi" comment.  I count myself in that range as well.  Your Songtowers will only get better, enjoy.   

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:09 pm »
I like reading about audio success stories like this. Especially when the wife gets on board with the sound "worth every penny". It took 47 seconds?

Sounds like a very special setup.

Congratulations!   :thumb:

Ditto! 

abongiov,

Congrats on your purchase and successfully making your wife a believer.  Welcome to the Salk family!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:13 pm »
Abongiov

You are so blessed that your wife shares your passion

bet you can't wait till her patent exam is over for some real listening together

glad you could hear an audition first and welcome to the Salk family

Art_Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:08 pm »
Abongiov,
Congratulations! wise choice  :D
On the side note, I own a Beresford TC7510 DAC as well as more expensive AVA Insight + DAC. I wonder if you tried to hook 7510 to your CDP using either toslink or co-ax? I am not familair with your Creek CDP, but Beresford might surprise you. I think a crappy sound from Roku is due to the compression of the internet files.

abongiov

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:56 pm »
Thank you all, I am glad to have joined the Salk family

Art Chicago, I never tried the Beresford on my CDP. I bought the Beresford 100$ on ebay for the roku. Considering the source I did not want to put a lot of money into it. My CDP is around 1000$ new, I bought it with a rebate because it was my dealer demo unit.
I never thought the Beresford could do better. I don't think I'll try it soon, I have so many things to re-listen to now :icon_lol:
So, to be honest I never evaluated the full potential of the Beresford, again I bought it to improve the Roku sound.
Note that I didn't say it was a crappy sound, I am happy with it. I just wanted to state that even a cheap source (200$ for roku and beresford) was improved by my new Songtowers.

I plan to go Discless in about 6 months, I'll get a squeezebox with a nice DAC which will also handle the Roku. Then the Beresford will go in the bedroom system which is now just an aiport extreme going directly into a power amp with Highland Audio speakers (French brand). I keep the bedroom system on the cheap side, no critical listening there, just putting nice ambiance  :oops: