Office System

ajy55906

Office System
« on: 26 Feb 2003, 08:15 pm »
My office is at the end of a room which I would guess is 12 x 20.

At the North end of the room, a 6 foot high L shaped wall, seperates a home office from the rest of the room.  The office is approximately 5 x 8.

My desk faces the back wall. A bookcase is on the 6 foot wall (stained plywood, bricks).

I have a Fisher 400 tube receiver (about 27 Watts a channel - amazingly good as a headphone amp) on the bookcase.  I am considering Omegas.  The speakers would probably be on the bookcase, or the wooden cap on top of the 6 foot wall.  Both would be above my ears.

In the past I have had a Fried Beta / Subwoofer combo here, and I like the full range sound.  However, a Beta driver is gone, and the combo is in any event under powered by the Fisher.

Would TS3 and an Omega sub make sense?  Would you recommend another combination?

Thanks.

Alan

Bwanagreg

Office System
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2003, 04:04 pm »
Alan,

Your Fisher receiver sounds like a nice vintage piece. Any of the Omegas should work well with it as long as you don't suffer from tube glare (if you do the Omegas will make that very obvious as I found out with my TS-1's).

The full range drivers have very even and broad dispersion. I can move up or down a lot relative to the speakers and not notice gross changes in the tonal balance of the speakers, except perhaps at the very high end. This would make them work better in your situation (with the speakers above your head) than most. I would be concerned about early reflections from the ceiling though. I don't think you'll get much of a stereo image. Is there any way you could sacrifice some shelf space at ear level for the speakers?

Here is what I did (in case you are interested in another bookcase approach). I have 8 foot wide custom bookcases. The lower section is about 30 inches high and 14 inces deep. It has two shelves full of vinyl and large books (great for dampening bass vibrations btw). The upper section rest on top and is about 7 inches deep. I put a pair of TS-1 on top of the bottom section, which puts them at ear height for a seated listener. I have found that most of the diasadvanteges of having speakers in a bookcase (resonance problems and poor imaging) can be fixed with some tlc. I applied an adhesive sound dampening sheet to the entire rear of the bookcase (its a thin plywood). Then, on the room-facing side behind the speakers I put a sound barrier (rubber and dense foam), followed by a fiberglass ceiling tile wrapped in acoustical fabric. I have also tried using Vibrapods under the speakers, but to be honest I think I prefer the direct coupling to the hardwood underneath (the weight of the records, books, and hardwood is probably several hundred pounds!). Finally, there are two 7-inch deep shelves loaded with books above the speakers.

To improve the imaging, I placed 8 inch thich acoustical wedge foam (the kind used in anechoic chambers) next to each speaker on the inside edge, with the wedges tilted to absorb the sound coming from the edge of each speaker. This has an amazing effect on the stereo image.

I'm not done yet with the room acoustics, but the net effect of a fully loaded well-damped bookcase with foam treatments behind and to the side of the speakers is very positive.

ajy55906

Positioning of Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:12 am »
Is it reasonable to place the speakers horozontally on the bookcase?  
I could position them at ear level much more readily, if they were on their sides?

I presume the matching sub could also be placed horozontally on the bookcase, on a lower shelf?  

Thanks for your suggestions.

Alan

Bwanagreg

Office System
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2003, 04:07 am »
Sure. Since there is a single driver (and no crossover), there is no problem rotating the speaker.  I haven't tried a sub yet but I don't see why it couldn't fit on a lower shelf, as long as nothing rattles!

One other factor I forgot to mention is that the Omegas are front-ported. That allows you to place the rear of the speaker closer to a wall or in a cabinet, which would be problematic if the port was on the rear.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.