LGK 1.0's are here

bdp24

Re: LGK 1.0's are here
« Reply #140 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:31 pm »
I'll wait.  And continue to research SET amps while waiting.  Since my main system is a pair of LS9s with 480w of tube power (not counting subs) - I figured I'd try the opposite end of the spectrum for my office.

I've got my eye on this - http://www.wrightaudio.us/royale_series_2.htm

I like the pre-out with adjustable gain feature.  I could try it bi-amping my OB7s.

If I get the N3S that will make my tally 4 pairs of your speakers.  I've definitely joined the fan club.

Thanks.

I assume that means 240w/ch! How many tubes are involved? I got rid of my Atma-Sphere M60's, one reason being their 8 output tubes per channel which produced only 60 watts (OTL amps are very inefficient). I'm in the California desert now, and my electric bill (the air conditioner is electric, of course) this Summer was $500/month! My current amp (Music Reference RM-200) produces 100w/ch from only a single pair of KT88's per. MUCH cheaper to own and operate, and just as good sounding.

londonbarn

« Reply #141 on: 21 Oct 2015, 12:18 pm »
Peter, youre the man, those look awesome.. I would love some in rosewood veneer but have no skills... haha will have to give it a try anyway...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #142 on: 22 Oct 2015, 12:47 am »
One nice thing about the size of these speakers is that they are small enough you don't need a lot of veneer. This means you can find some really good closeout deals on some pretty exotic veneer. I was able to find some crotch walnut raw wood veneer in large enough pieces to cover each side in a single piece and keep the best parts of the figure.

I really liked the three dimensional texture of this veneer so I intentionally left the wood rough, not sanded smooth. Because of this, they do not have any gloss to them even though they have three coats of poly.

Mike

cody69

« Reply #143 on: 22 Oct 2015, 01:54 am »
I really liked the three dimensional texture of this veneer so I intentionally left the wood rough
Very nice Mike. One of my favorite veneers... the 3-D depth can be spectacular.

dawaro

« Reply #144 on: 22 Oct 2015, 04:58 pm »
How easy was it to replace the promedia speakers? I'd be interested in hearing the details of the mod. I've skimmed through some of the reviews of the promedia 2.1 online and it sounds like a system with a lot of potential with the mods you're speaking of..
I wouldn't call it a "mod" by any stretch. I was in a pinch and my OCD took over and I started looking for something that they would fit it.

Four screws and the from plate of the ProMedia pods come off with the speakers attached. I disconnected the tweeter replace the woofer and screwed them back together. By no means is it optimal but they still sound fantastic.

dawaro

« Reply #145 on: 22 Oct 2015, 05:03 pm »
How do you put these drivers in a car?

I still have to play with the locations to see what sounds the best but these are going in a F150 as the high-end of a 2-way front stage. They will be actively high passed ~300-500 at 24db.

Initial thoughts are installing them in either the sail panels or in fiberglass pods on the A-pillars. Again, still lots of experimenting to do.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #146 on: 22 Oct 2015, 06:13 pm »
I wouldn't call it a "mod" by any stretch. I was in a pinch and my OCD took over and I started looking for something that they would fit it.

Four screws and the from plate of the ProMedia pods come off with the speakers attached. I disconnected the tweeter replace the woofer and screwed them back together. By no means is it optimal but they still sound fantastic.

.. 'sound fantastic' pretty much says it all. And probably even a total klutz like me could do it. AND the price is certainly right!

What did you replace the woofer with?

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #147 on: 22 Oct 2015, 06:14 pm »
I still have to play with the locations to see what sounds the best but these are going in a F150 as the high-end of a 2-way front stage. They will be actively high passed ~300-500 at 24db.

Initial thoughts are installing them in either the sail panels or in fiberglass pods on the A-pillars. Again, still lots of experimenting to do.

What did you use for the high pass?

dawaro

« Reply #148 on: 24 Oct 2015, 07:06 pm »
.. 'sound fantastic' pretty much says it all. And probably even a total klutz like me could do it. AND the price is certainly right!

What did you replace the woofer with?
I am still using the stock Klipsch woofer. Again these are just the speakers I have in my office to have something to listen when I work from home.

dawaro

« Reply #149 on: 24 Oct 2015, 07:11 pm »
What did you use for the high pass?
I havent changed anything other that the LGK's. I friend of mine went through the circuits on the Promedia amps a couple years back because I was able to get about 10 of them dirt cheap through a wholesaler. What he found was that there was about a 100hz crossover between the sub and satellites.

gmurray618

« Reply #150 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:27 pm »
Hello all, I'm starting an LGK build but I'm using 3/4 MDF.  I've adjusted the dimensions so that the internal volume is the same (including increasing the height by 1/4" to compensate for the increased volume of the braces). 
My question relates to the compensation circuitry.  It is designed for a 4.5" baffle while my baffle will be 5".   Jay and Mike have suggested using a round off on the vertical edges to better approximate the original design of the baffle.   As this is my first build I want to cover all basses and get it just exactly perfect. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #151 on: 4 Aug 2016, 06:53 pm »
Hello all, I'm starting an LGK build but I'm using 3/4 MDF.  I've adjusted the dimensions so that the internal volume is the same (including increasing the height by 1/4" to compensate for the increased volume of the braces). 
My question relates to the compensation circuitry.  It is designed for a 4.5" baffle while my baffle will be 5".   Jay and Mike have suggested using a round off on the vertical edges to better approximate the original design of the baffle.   As this is my first build I want to cover all basses and get it just exactly perfect.

No problem. Just add a 3/8" round over and you're fine. You can even push it to 1/2" round over if you want.

Captainhemo

« Reply #152 on: 4 Aug 2016, 07:06 pm »
As suggested in the emails George, if you go with the .5" radius, make sure  it leaves enough "flat:" on the baffle for the driver flange. I'm not famaliar with the  LGK driver's dimensions, just worth checking :)

jay

gmurray618

« Reply #153 on: 4 Aug 2016, 08:50 pm »
Thanks !     Working on some family stuff today but hope to make all my cuts tomorrow.
 :thumb:  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumb: