LGK 1.0's are here

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: LGK 1.0 are here
« Reply #60 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:38 pm »
I finished mine up last night. 3/8's roundover on the verticals, and a little chamfer around the crown. One coat of Duratex.

I let them play in my office all night. They have really opened up. I must echo Mike's comments about the bass. I am very surprised by this little driver. Imaging is quite fantastic as well. New fixture on my desk for sure.

Ben

Ben,

Those really look good.

What is Duratex, where can you get it and how do you apply it? That looks so much better than my attempts with primer and rattle can truck bed liner.

Will Duratex hide MDF seams by itself or do you still need to seal the MDF with epoxy first?

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #61 on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:08 pm »
Mike,

I didn't know what Dura Tex was either. Here is a video showing one way to apply it. I don't know what method Ben used.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iuav56tGIE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuav56tGIE4

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

I just placed an order for a set of flatpacks on Ben's website. When Danny returns my phone call, I'm going to order a LGK kit. (Attention Danny: Hint....Hint.)  :icon_twisted:

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 30 Mar 2014, 01:19 am »
Mike,

I didn't know what Dura Tex was either. Here is a video showing one way to apply it. I don't know what method Ben used.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iuav56tGIE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuav56tGIE4

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

I just placed an order for a set of flatpacks on Ben's website. When Danny returns my phone call, I'm going to order a LGK kit. (Attention Danny: Hint....Hint.)  :icon_twisted:

I just got in... And I see your message.

baniels

« Reply #63 on: 30 Mar 2014, 03:41 pm »
Mike,

As was already posted, it comes from here. http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

This is actually the first time I've used it. My friend had a some left over from a project and he also had the textured roller brush.

It is probably the easiest finish you can imagine. I did 5 sides of each speaker in about 20 minutes while I was home for lunch Friday. When I got home later it was dry enough to handle, though I'm told it can take a week for a full cure. It is extremely durable.

It has a consistency similar to pudding. Some folks water it down, which may lend to less texture. I think it can even be sprayed. In any case, the result of this quick and dirty application was far better than I've seen from a rattle can bed liner. Easy to control, thick enough to apply vertically without running, and forgiving. 

It will cover up small imperfections. I have seen it telegraph some joints that weren't properly trimmed flush though, so don't expect miracles. It probably depends on how thick it is applied though.

Ben,

Those really look good.

What is Duratex, where can you get it and how do you apply it? That looks so much better than my attempts with primer and rattle can truck bed liner.

Will Duratex hide MDF seams by itself or do you still need to seal the MDF with epoxy first?

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:42 am »
Danny,

If I remember correctly, you said that the LGK's can handle 15 - 25 watts when run full range, 50 watts if the low end is restricted and 100 watts if the low end is really restricted.

What crossover frequencies (AVR settings) correspond with 50 and 100 watts?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:48 am »
Danny,

If I remember correctly, you said that the LGK's can handle 15 - 25 watts when run full range, 50 watts if the low end is restricted and 100 watts if the low end is really restricted.

What crossover frequencies (AVR settings) correspond with 50 and 100 watts?

Mike

You'd need to pull everything off of them below 80 to 100Hz. The more you pull off of them and the steeper the slope the more power you can put on them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:00 am »
Thanks,

I was thinking of setting them up with a sub playing through a Denon AVR with an 80Hz crossover for my stepdaughter to listen to since that is how she would be using them.

She would need more power and higher SPL's than I do since she would be using them to replace her TV speakers for music, movies and TV in a small room.

Mike

BK_856er

« Reply #67 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:17 am »
Couldn't resist a quick listen before veneer.  Now I'm super motivated to complete the finishing!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #68 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:16 am »
Some fun coming up...

Wanting to play with new camera mostly, but these will be cool looking once I get them finished

baniels

« Reply #69 on: 3 Apr 2014, 12:38 am »
Looking good, Peter! Eager to see the final product.

Danny - any thoughts about toe-in?

mresseguie

« Reply #70 on: 7 Apr 2014, 05:43 am »
I'm psyched! and also filled with uncertainty. I now have both Danny's kit and Ben's LGK flat pack (delivered in what seems a bomb proof package!!). The flat packs parts look amazing, Ben. I'm so glad I didn't try to cut my own.

I'm psyched because I'm really looking forward to building my first DIY speakers (with lots of help). I'm filled with uncertainty because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Oh, I'm willing to bet I can fit the speaker pieces together (no glue first, then glue 2nd time). I have no clue how to assemble the caps, coils, etc. on a piece of wood. What piece? What size? What order?

I promise to not panic......more than a couple times. Perhaps, I should buy a 6-pack of beer just in case.

Peter J,

Thank you for those two pictures. They are helping me.

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #71 on: 7 Apr 2014, 08:40 pm »
Noob question:

I understand that the coil/cap can be mounted on a small board, which is then glued/screwed to the back wall of the speaker behind the driver, but how to I wire the the various components to the small board in the first place? (no experience). Has anyone got a clear picture of an assembled unit?  :(

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 7 Apr 2014, 08:56 pm »
Noob question:

I understand that the coil/cap can be mounted on a small board, which is then glued/screwed to the back wall of the speaker behind the driver, but how to I wire the the various components to the small board in the first place? (no experience). Has anyone got a clear picture of an assembled unit?  :(

Stand the coil up on its edge just like the one in the upper right hand corner of this pic.

Zip tie the inductor to the board and hot glue it or Silicone it to the board as well.

Attach the cap and resistor to the side of it with zip ties.

Drill some holes in the corners of the board for screws that can attach it to the back wall.

baniels

« Reply #73 on: 7 Apr 2014, 09:19 pm »
And all three components are wires in parallel, correct?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #74 on: 7 Apr 2014, 09:33 pm »
Here's how I put mine together

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 7 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm »
Yep, just like that.

mresseguie

« Reply #76 on: 7 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
Thanks, guys.

I'm brimming with confidence now......well, mostly.... :wink:

Next noob question: Are the caps or resistors directional? Is one side + and the other - ?

Mlundy,

Awesome pics!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 8 Apr 2014, 12:07 am »
Thanks, guys.

I'm brimming with confidence now......well, mostly.... :wink:

Next noob question: Are the caps or resistors directional? Is one side + and the other - ?

Mlundy,

Awesome pics!  :thumb:

They are not directional, but run them in the same direction on both speakers.

mresseguie

« Reply #78 on: 9 Apr 2014, 07:56 pm »
Two LGK 1.0 noobs walk into a bar and order drinks. The first one says to the other: So far my only mistake is the internal braces in one speaker aren't exactly aligned (holes are offset rather than exactly aligned) even though I had written an F and an R so as to avoid making this mistake.  :duh: The 2nd noob says to the first: Well, my mistake was to cut the No Rez 7.25 inches long (instead of 7") and I didn't discover my mistake until after I had pressed the sheet down hard onto the inside of the speaker.   :slap:  Luckily, I was able to cut the excess away without damaging the cabinet.

Those two noobs had a couple more drinks all the while assuring each other they'd make no more mistakes.  :wink: :dance:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #79 on: 12 Apr 2014, 01:50 am »
Been out of town, got some more licks in today.

Here's a couple of teasers