Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #120 on: 2 Jan 2016, 01:31 am »
Hi James, does the Cube uses the same fuse versus SST2? Thanks.

Hi

Not sure on that - I would assume so but will have to check.  There are no fuses in the circuit path only on the power inlet.

james
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2016, 04:06 am by James Tanner »

Simm

« Reply #121 on: 2 Jan 2016, 01:37 am »
An upgrade path form the 28BSST2s is welcome news indeed even though I thoroughly enjoy my 28BSST2s.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #122 on: 2 Jan 2016, 02:00 am »
class-ab usually has more distortion then class-b,i quote douglas self, you also mention the amount of nfb is small,there is also mention in the press of super linearity,hard to digest,james is it a patented design?, if not can you please tell us why is so super-linearity,you dont have to,i'm just curious... :green:

Rod_S

« Reply #123 on: 2 Jan 2016, 02:14 am »
Still undergoing safety and hydro requirements - the bane of my existence  :duh:

james

Thanks, they are beasts that's for sure so it's understandable it takes more time for these vs all the others.

scirica

« Reply #124 on: 2 Jan 2016, 03:25 am »
We are looking at that and at this point I believe so.

james

I'm hoping it's true. I'm ready to send more money your way!

werd

« Reply #125 on: 2 Jan 2016, 03:49 am »
Hi Folks

It is an extensive upgrade - The backboard and all the attached parts have to be completely replaced and a few internal parts and of course the faceplate and handles and some front panel electronics. Also a new soft-start circuit is used and new idle current section.

The chassis and transformers we can keep so there are some savings there.

It will be a couple of months though before we will be able to offer the upgrades as there are few technical and mechanical issues to work out. We will have to assign a different SN to the upgrades - with the SP2 upgrades we just added an 'X' after the serial number.  You want to make sure there is no confusion in the market between an upgrade and a new Cubed unit.  One option might be to offer all the internal changes for the upgrades but not the front panel changes which which eliminate any doubt?

james

Hello

Can you tell us what the new idle power draw will be or is it the same?

bjski

« Reply #126 on: 2 Jan 2016, 02:36 pm »
I too volunteer to be a test mule. LOL! I did it in the BDP-2 so it's only fitting that I do it in the new cube amps!

adol290

« Reply #127 on: 2 Jan 2016, 02:59 pm »

I am open to volunteer,  to see how a pair of 7b cube would fair against an Esoteric A-02 amp

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 2 Jan 2016, 03:16 pm »
Hello

Standby power now has to be less than 1/2 watt to meet safety standards in some areas.

james

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2016, 04:17 pm by James Tanner »

klao

« Reply #129 on: 2 Jan 2016, 03:53 pm »
Happy New Year to all!

Great news and congrats to James and the Bryston team again on the new development and patent.

I hope the upgrades of the amps would also be available and serviceable by tech people of the local distributors overseas too.  In that case, I'll keep the old face-plates on my pair of 28B-SST/2 and a mono 7B-SST/2 to keep my wife from noticing. : )

Cheers!

audio.bill

« Reply #130 on: 2 Jan 2016, 04:05 pm »
klao - Good thinking, that would be a key reason to keep the original faceplates!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 2 Jan 2016, 04:18 pm »
Happy New Year to all!

Great news and congrats to James and the Bryston team again on the new development and patent.

I hope the upgrades of the amps would also be available and serviceable by tech people of the local distributors overseas too.  In that case, I'll keep the old face-plates on my pair of 28B-SST/2 and a mono 7B-SST/2 to keep my wife from noticing. : )

Cheers!

WOW - great point  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #132 on: 2 Jan 2016, 04:54 pm »

Standby power now has to be less than 1/2 watt to meet safety standards in some areas.

I think the question was (or at least my question is) addressing the idle power consumption, not standby power.

Since you previously stated that the new amplifier is the same Class A - A/B with the same amount of watts in Class A (bias), I'm guessing that idle power specs are pretty much the same, i.e. the 4BSST² @ 127W?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #133 on: 2 Jan 2016, 05:05 pm »
I think the question was (or at least my question is) addressing the idle power consumption, not standby power.

Since you previously stated that the new amplifier is the same Class A - A/B with the same amount of watts in Class A (bias), I'm guessing that idle power specs are pretty much the same, i.e. the 4BSST² @ 127W?

Steve

Hi Steve

Correct.

james

Xinon

« Reply #134 on: 2 Jan 2016, 05:34 pm »
Hi

The latest version (last few weeks) of the B135 has the new circuitry.

There are no cosmethic changes planned.

James

How do we know its the new version?
Have you changed the logo in front that says B135 "SST2"?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 2 Jan 2016, 06:36 pm »
How do we know its the new version?
Have you changed the logo in front that says B135 "SST2"?

We will be but currently just from the serial number.

james

Xinon

« Reply #136 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm »
We will be but currently just from the serial number.

james
Is this because you have fronts stored up?
How about price with the old fronts, same price as the old one  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 3 Jan 2016, 01:36 pm »
Is this because you have fronts stored up?
How about price with the old fronts, same price as the old one  :thumb:

Hi

The cosmetics are not changing on the B135 - just the guts. The new 2.5B amplifier uses the Cubed design and the B135 used that same amplifier now.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #138 on: 5 Jan 2016, 12:09 am »

Just a few months back in September .....

Yeah, I was the Op of this question and asked James at TAVES in October but he did a fine job of not letting the cat out of the bag.  I knew by the age of the SST2 that there would have been something around the corner.  I was a little late getting this news - too busy with a renovation over the holidays.

I'm very intrigued.  I'm still getting used to the new design, as I love the current SST2 with handles faceplate.  Not sure if that square in relief on the new faceplate has a functional purpose or not - I would guess so, as it doesn't look purely stylistic.

sweetspot

« Reply #139 on: 5 Jan 2016, 02:09 am »
Yeah, I was the Op of this question and asked James at TAVES in October but he did a fine job of not letting the cat out of the bag.  I knew by the age of the SST2 that there would have been something around the corner.  I was a little late getting this news - too busy with a renovation over the holidays.

I'm very intrigued.  I'm still getting used to the new design, as I love the current SST2 with handles faceplate.  Not sure if that square in relief on the new faceplate has a functional purpose or not - I would guess so, as it doesn't look purely stylistic.
[/q

I'll bet it's hiding tubes!  :o