Seeking subwoofer recommendations/advice

2gumby2

Seeking subwoofer recommendations/advice
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:49 am »
I've decided to add a couple of subwoofers to one of my 2-channel systems and wondered about the experiences others may have had with some of the subs I am considering. I am limited in floor space and would prefer a subwoofer taking up no more than 15" X 15" floorspace. So far, I am considering the Sunfire HRS series, Definitive Technology Supercube II, Elemental Designs A3S with 2 band parametric EQ, and one of the SV Sound cylinder subs. If I go with SV Sound, I will only be able to get one due to my space limitations. A Hi-Fi dealer that I have been dealing with for more than 30 years recommends the Definitive Technology. He uses Definitive Technology subs with his Magnepans in his personal 2-channel system and loves them. I am open to suggestions.

Marbles

Re: Seeking subwoofer recommendations/advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:02 pm »
IMO, none of the above...

Do a search for Rhythmik Servo subs

Lots of info, esp. in the GR Research circle.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:39 pm »
Hey, this is cheap and cheerful, max system cost $1000. Good question but shithouse recommendations (in that context).

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2009, 06:57 pm »
I guess cheap and cheerful means less than $1K per pair.

No, Cheap and Cheerful HiFi means, as JohnR reminds us, less than $1K for an entire system - source, amplification and speakers.  The topic/question doesn't really even belong in this particular circle.

Steve

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:20 pm »
The best inexpensive subs I know of are the active servo(low distortion) subs from Yamaha.
http://www.jr.com/yamaha/pe/YAM_YSTSW216BL/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115128
Those are the 2 that seem to fit your dimensional requirements at the lowest prices I could find. While not the last word in extension or output, a few of these in the room should yield a satisfactory presentation.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:01 pm »
Hey, this is cheap and cheerful, max system cost $1000. Good question but shithouse recommendations (in that context).

The Sunfire HRS are MSRP from $699USD - $899

You can get the Rythmik for less than that.

Guess I didn't know of the $1000 total system cost, so disregard my advice...

srb

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:20 pm »

The Sunfire HRS are MSRP from $699USD - $899

You can get the Rythmik for less than that.

Guess I didn't know of the $1000 total system cost, so disregard my advice...

To be fair, the OP was soliciting thoughts about the contenders he had narrowed it down to (and even other suggestions), and the first three models he listed retail from $700 to $1800 a pair.

So some of the responses are certainly in line with that.  I just thought the topic would have been moved to a more appropriate circle, as I get the feeling that he is looking for something better than a pair of $100 Yamaha subs.

Steve

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:25 pm »
I guess cheap and cheerful means less than $1K per pair.

No, Cheap and Cheerful HiFi means, as JohnR reminds us, less than $1K for an entire system - source, amplification and speakers.  The topic/question doesn't really even belong in this particular circle.

Steve

As you have rightfully pointed out, it's pretty confusing, so I retracted my previous recommendations and previous post. Let's just leave it at that.

Anand.

2gumby2

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2009, 10:51 am »
O.K., so it seems I posted in the wrong circle. What would be the most appropriate Circle to post this question in?

In the past, I built a couple of Rythmic subs in 2 cubic foot sealed boxes. Sound quality was fine, but they just didn't have the ouput I was looking for for the Sludge metal and pipe organ music that I listen to on occasion. Brian Ding was a great guy to deal with though so I can recommend his company.