Seeking recommendations for a portable CD player

2gumby2

Seeking recommendations for a portable CD player
« on: 2 Dec 2009, 10:46 am »
My Sony Discman portable CD player died today. I'm seeking recommendations for a replacement. It must have a Line Out feature available.

shep

Re: Seeking recommendations for a portable CD player
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2009, 11:20 am »
There are D-25's, mint supposedly, selling here: http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_14&products_id=3 Very pricey though. Not sure if it's worth the asking price. Some say yes, others say no! Probably safer source than e-bay.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2009, 12:16 pm »
I recently posted a D-25 here and it sold fast.  They don't come up too often, but I'd say you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better built and better sounding portable CDP. 

In his review Steven R. Rochlin from "Enjoy the Music" decribed the sound as...

...gorgeous. To expand on this, glorious. To expand further, very defined and tuneful bass with highs that not only sound good, they are very smooth and clean. As for the midrange, at times I wonder if there isn't some small mesh plate 300B hiding within this metal case somewhere. Add to this incredibly realistic harmonics and a front soundscape so deep that it makes me rethink the possibilities.

Disc after disc I sat there is awe. Not just through headphones, but also within my reference system. In fact it is within my reference system where the soundscape depth and amazing 3D ability shines... The D-25's inner resolution is amazing using my new reference headphones (Shure E5c).

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2009, 12:05 pm »
shep, thanks for the link. It looks like a very nice portable CD player, but at $275 plus shipping it's more than I'm willing to pay. My Sony that died probably cost about $50 with accessories.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2009, 03:12 pm »
Portable CD's are so in the past. You can probably find a bunch in your local thrift shop for about 3-5 bucks each.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:21 pm »
Portable CD's are so in the past. You can probably find a bunch in your local thrift shop for about 3-5 bucks each.

You have checked out the Parisian thrift shops, in montmartre:wink:

Seriously, why not get an i-pod type of player?  You can carry a lot of music (worth huge box of CDs) in a tiny player.  Ipod classic 160 GB is only $229.  I am sure there are cheaper HD based music players out there.

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2009, 06:49 pm »
This reminds me of the movie Back to the future. The part when he played his (tape) walkman and blasted Van Halen in George Mcflys ears. haha.
Good movie.

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2009, 12:47 pm »
Why not an iPod? Because I like CDs. I have an MP3 audio player for workouts at the gym, but I just like CDs better for my listening enjoyment. I found a portable player from a company called Califone, but it seems to be directed to school/institutional uses. Still, it might not make that much of a difference as I doubt my old Sony was much of a Hi-Fi component. This is not used in an audiophile system anyway. Usually used while cooking in the kitchen.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:43 pm »
This is not used in an audiophile system anyway. Usually used while cooking in the kitchen.

If it's just for background music, then whatever you can find that's cheap will do.  No specific recommendation.

2gumby2

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:43 pm »
Although not along the lines of my initial goals, I ordered a Yamaha universal player yesterday. It'll take up more space, but I can make room for it and it will suit my needs. Thanks all for the recommendations.