SongTowers in curly African bubinga

Bill

Re: SongTowers in curly African bubinga
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:07 am »
I didn't realize that making a negative statement on the look of a speaker would stir up a hornet's nest of protest. It was merely a comment. When I see what seemingly looks like biased almost cult-like behavior on a forum, it seems to get the better of me. Sorry if I have offended anyone. Maybe I'll move on to a less sensitive "Circle".

Bill

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:22 am »
Ya know--as soon as I saw Bill's post, I was so tempted to post a plea that no one express outrage or sarcasm.  I actually found it refreshing to see some disagreement over what is certainly a fairly aggressive design.  I love it, but I can see where others wouldn't.  Bill was just stating an opinion.  And I think the dog is outstanding.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:23 am »
Hey guys, let's cut Bill some slack and not kill him over his posts.

While I certainly don't agree with his view or choice of words, one of the things that makes Jim's Circle so cool is the higher tolerance for dissenting opinions.  If we lose that, this Circle goes down to the level of some other vendor Circles here at AC or even worse, like some forums we see outside of AC.

BTW, as usual, I think Jim's work is outstanding.

George

Art_Chicago

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:26 am »
I do not get it! What is the point of this thread? Well, I find this veneer amazing, but there is no way I'd order it because it does not fit my furniture, and yes, it attracts too much attention.  Bill does not like it, he has chosen to share his opinion. Who cares? Why so many are upset? It is a custom veneer, and more important, it has neither negative nor positive effect on ST's great sound!

cujobob

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:31 am »
At first, I was all about piano black speakers because they had a certain elegance to them while also blending in with a room nicely...but now I'm all about the fancier veneers.

BoB/335

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2009, 09:07 am »
  I think sardines with jalapeno peppers are  "grotesque"!

I am not a Salk owner or fanboy. Someone can dislike anything. I just thought that "grotesque" was a rather strong word.

AliG

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:33 am »
When someone come to you home and comment on your wife that she's not pretty enough, are you going to be so 'open-hearted' and say" Who cares, why so upset?"

High end audio are personal, people feels passionate about their speakers, so it didn't surprise me when I see reaction like this?

I do not get it! What is the point of this thread? Well, I find this veneer amazing, but there is no way I'd order it because it does not fit my furniture, and yes, it attracts too much attention.  Bill does not like it, he has chosen to share his opinion. Who cares? Why so many are upset? It is a custom veneer, and more important, it has neither negative nor positive effect on ST's great sound!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:40 am »
When someone come to you home and comment on your wife that she's not pretty enough, are you going to be so 'open-hearted' and say" Who cares, why so upset?"

High end audio are personal, people feels passionate about their speakers, so it didn't surprise me when I see reaction like this?

Barry,

Your analogy above highlights exactly why people think audiophiles are a crazy bunch.

We are talking about speakers, an inanimate object - not something that is alive like my wife, kids, etc...

While I am extremely passionate about my audio hobby, I am certainly not going to compare any of my gear to my treasured family.

I think we all need to take a step back and try to gain some real perspective here.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:05 pm »
I did what pipe did before I responded and tried to ascertain if Bob was just being witty or was he in fact, truly crapping on the thread.  I determined it was crapping by carefully analyzing his responses to other threads using Mr. Peabody's Thread Analysis Machine.  I would love to crap on other's threads when we are high fiving all around about some piece of gear I personally dislike for good reason, but I don't.  If I feel strongly enough about it, then I PM that person with my perspective.  It just struck me as kinda rude that he felt compelled to express his distaste for the veneer when we all can agree that not everyone would choose that.  I don't personally like starburst finishes, but I don't go out of my way to post a response saying I don't care for that person's choice.  oops, guess I just did!!  Need to change the batteries in the Machine.

See, now Bob feels bad because he thinks we hate him.  We don't.  We just want him to refrain from being negative at the expense of other's feelings (the actual speaker owners, not us loiterers).  Didn't your parents always tell us to only say something if it was nice, otherwise clam up?  We still love you Bob.  Don't go away because we called you out.

martyo

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:15 pm »
I did what pipe did before I responded and tried to ascertain if Bob was just being witty or was he in fact, truly crapping on the thread.  I determined it was crapping by carefully analyzing his responses to other threads using Mr. Peabody's Thread Analysis Machine.  I would love to crap on other's threads when we are high fiving all around about some piece of gear I personally dislike for good reason, but I don't.  If I feel strongly enough about it, then I PM that person with my perspective.  It just struck me as kinda rude that he felt compelled to express his distaste for the veneer when we all can agree that not everyone would choose that.  I don't personally like starburst finishes, but I don't go out of my way to post a response saying I don't care for that person's choice.  oops, guess I just did!!  Need to change the batteries in the Machine.

See, now Bob feels bad because he thinks we hate him.  We don't.  We just want him to refrain from being negative at the expense of other's feelings (the actual speaker owners, not us loiterers).  Didn't your parents always tell us to only say something if it was nice, otherwise clam up?  We still love you Bob.  Don't go away because we called you out.

That's why I tell you your a classy guy, Pete.  :wink:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:29 pm »

Barry,

Your analogy above highlights exactly why people think audiophiles are a crazy bunch.

We are talking about speakers, an inanimate object - not something that is alive like my wife, kids, etc...

While I am extremely passionate about my audio hobby, I am certainly not going to compare any of my gear to my treasured family.

I think we all need to take a step back and try to gain some real perspective here.

George

George, well said!  the analogy between a wife and loudspeakers does seem a little odd  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:33 pm »
Bill - it's your opinion, so don't get offended dude.  People have the right to disagree with you, but don't take it as offensive.  

Likewise, it's Bill's opinion, so ease up on him.  He has the right to dislike them.

BrianM

« Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:14 pm »
grotesque

1. odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.
2. fantastic in the shaping and combination of forms, as in decorative work combining incongruous human and animal figures with scrolls, foliage, etc.

In some ways it's quite an apt term for the curly bubinga.

fishinbob

« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:40 pm »
Well, I liked the slam about the cult-like behavior in his reply. :lol:

Truly fantastic looking veneer by the way......

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:59 pm »
grotesque

1. odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.
2. fantastic in the shaping and combination of forms, as in decorative work combining incongruous human and animal figures with scrolls, foliage, etc.

In some ways it's quite an apt term for the curly bubinga.

There ya go.    Case (thread) closed. 

BoB/335

« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2009, 01:14 am »

Hey, I'm Bob and I said I loved those speakers (and my wife does too!)

Rocket

« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2009, 08:35 am »
Hi,

I wish I could have afforded just a little more money and purchased my speakers in bubinga.  I went for bosse pommele which look quite good but I have a preference for bubinga.  Perhaps next time when the aussie dollar is stronger against the US.

Regards

Rod

BoB/335

« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:42 am »
Hey Rocket,

How about some pics?

Nuance

« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:38 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60849.0

Rocket's speakers are in the first post.

So Bob, how's the speaker hunt coming?  Have you had a chance to audition anything else since the GTG?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:42 pm »
Hi,

I wish I could have afforded just a little more money and purchased my speakers in bubinga.  I went for bosse pommele which look quite good but I have a preference for bubinga.  Perhaps next time when the aussie dollar is stronger against the US.

Regards

Rod

Your finish looks excellent and was a very good choice.

George