Hello from Arizona

feynman

Hello from Arizona
« on: 8 Jun 2018, 09:57 pm »
Hello all -

I've been reading here a bit (mostly the marketplace for now ), and figured I should sign up. 

I'm on the hunt for some specific speakers, and someone told me that this is not a bad place to check in and to start getting to know the forum.

Nice to meet you all.

-mitch

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Arizona
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:06 pm »
Welcome aboard Mitch :thumb:

feynman

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm »
Thank you!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:55 pm »
Welcome to AC, Mitch.

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2018, 11:13 pm »
Welcome!

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2018, 01:35 am »
Welcome Mitch. What part of AZ are you in - the hot part or the cool part? We have an active audiophile community here in Tucson and have a meet-up June 23rd. You are welcome to join us.
Wayne

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2018, 02:31 am »
Welcome. What speakers are you looking for?

andolink

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2018, 05:20 am »
Welcome aboard Mitch.

I'm a 58 year resident of the Phoenix area currently in Scottsdale.

It's always good to see Arizona represented on this site.

feynman

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2018, 06:07 am »
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm in Tempe, so I guess the hot part.  :)

I'm on the hunt for Shahinian Hawks, or possibly a very nice set of Obelisks.  Most out there are beat up, too far away, unwilling to ship, etc.  It's been a tough search so far, but it is helping me with my patience. 

andolink

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2018, 07:08 am »
If you do manage to reel in a pair of Hawks what would you be driving them with?  I've read that they're very dependent on the quality of the upstream gear.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:20 am »
Mitch, I always had curiosity to listen these speakers,
do you would inform how is the soundstage & image?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2018, 01:43 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mitch   :thumb:

feynman

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2018, 06:33 pm »
If you do manage to reel in a pair of Hawks what would you be driving them with?  I've read that they're very dependent on the quality of the upstream gear.

That's a great question, and a fun part of the research. 

I've recently moved to a new house, and finally have a decent room for some dedicated listening.  I'll be putting this system together from scratch.  I have a soft spot for Shahinian, so my intention is just to build the system around the Hawks.*

Mitch, I always had curiosity to listen these speakers,
do you would inform how is the soundstage & image?

I'm not the best person to ask, as I've only heard them in other settings, years ago.  There is a bit of nostalgia-longing to this search.  I will describe my aged memory's impression as something like "big, lush, magical, rich..."   I'm sure they are not for everybody, but I'm a fan.  I listen almost exclusively to classical music, from the small-scale to full orchestral.  I recall the Hawks, and even the Obelisks, as being very pleasing to me when reproducing solo piano, harpsichord, classical guitar,/baroque lute, the mighty orchestra... 

Ultimately though, memories are flawed, and multi/omni/whatevers don't work well in every situation or space, and they have plenty of detractors.  My search may not be completely rational, but I think 'happy' is a pretty rational goal when listening to music.  I realize that that was a pretty lengthy non-answer.

Thanks again for the welcome.

-mitch

* Hawks are going to be hard to find I think.  Most Shahinians go to Europe, and new pricing has vaulted past my means, and secondhand ones are quite rare.  Still, a guy can hope.  :)

mikeeastman

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2018, 06:53 pm »
Welcome Mitch,

If you ever decide to head up north to cool off I'm outside Flagstaff, your'e welcome to stop by for a listen.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2018, 07:02 pm »
I’m also in the sweaty armpit of the universe.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2018, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for your full picture impressions :thumb:

This speaker is expensive, if it dont have a special xover you can buy better drivers than the originals and order the cabinet at a carpenter by a fration of the retail price.
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2018, 09:58 pm by FullRangeMan »