SongTower vs. B&W CM9?

GTaudiophile

SongTower vs. B&W CM9?
« on: 9 Apr 2011, 09:16 pm »
I posted the following over at another forum and was directed over Salk, so I am here to gather your opinions.

I finally went to my local Magnolia showroom and auditioned both the CM9s and 683s. (I also listened to the MartinLogan - ElectroMotion ESL 8" for about 30 seconds and that WAS enough to tell me I didn't like their sound. I found it rather "V" shaped with nothing in the middle. Sort of like my experience with Klipsch?) Back to B&W...the CM9s were the obvious choice for me over the 683s. No question.

I demoed the speakers from a variety of amps from Yamaha, Pioneer, and Marantz. I found I preferred the sound from Marantz over the other brands.

In the end, I feel the Marantz+CM9 combo to be about 90% of what I am looking for. I wonder if there is another brand out there that offers similar sound to the CM9 with a TOUCH of added warmth and a little power/extension on the low-end/bass. Perhaps something with a woofer larger than 6.5 inches?

I also feel that going for a stereo (2.0) tube amplifier would be best. But I don't know if I can find one of those with HDMI inputs that costs less than $1,000. Any suggestions?

After throwing two different B&W subs into the mix, I couldn't warm up to them. I have always felt that subs offer a sort of added "fake" bass that just can't replace good woofers. I don't think a 2.1 setup is in my near future.

Thanks!

Spinerep

Re: SongTower vs. B&W CM9?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:38 pm »
I was in your exact same situation about 30 days ago.  I had the 683's for 18 months and after hearing joe bonamassa live and then listening to his dvd and wondering where the sounds went, I decided to go on the hunt.

My first stop was my local av store where they had the CM8's.  They sounded really nice but was missing the low..

The sales guy convinced me to order the CM9's and for about 3000 i placed the order.

I am kinda like you, want to do the proper due diligence to make sure im in the right spot with my money.  After reading posts on avsforum, I came across Salk Speakers.

I have to be honest, I really liked the feedback I got from literally everything I read.  I had additional questions though...  so I called the number on website...guess who answered.... Jim him self...  the owner and maker...  how's that for service!

After spending the next two days bound and determined to find anyone that spoke negatively about their salk speakers, I NEVER FOUND ANYONE.

I decided to cancel my CM9 order and make investment and for roughly 1200 more, ordered the HT2-tl's.  Im taking  a chance as I have not heard them before but when you read the expertise of the folks that love their speakers, my novice ears will certainly be pleased.

I cant wait to get mine!  About the middle of may i guess so if you want to wait, I will let you know...

Spinerep

cacophony777

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:56 pm »
I haven't heard the CM9, but I have heard quite a few far more expensive ($4-8k) B&W models (805S, 805 Diamond, 804 Diamond). The Songtowers are a better speaker IMO. Compared to the 804 Diamond (tower) I found the Songtower to be better in every regard: instrument separation/soundstage, detail, bass definition. I can't imagine that the CM9 is better than the $8k 804 Diamond, so yeah I suggest getting an audition of the Songtowers  :D

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:00 pm »
I'd check the owners list here to find a pair  of ST nearby. You are welcome to visit if you are in  Chicagoland.

vermont99

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:10 pm »
Contact Jim at Salk ask him if there is anybody in your area that would be willing to let you audition a set of Songtower’s. I was interested in the HT3, Jim found me someone about 40 miles from where I live that was willing to let me audition his. Prior to that I auditioned about 10 different speakers after auditioning the HT3’s I went back and re-auditioned some of the speakers I was interested in, I ordered the HT3’s can’t wait until there here it been 42 days but who is counting. Good luck with your search.

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm »
CM9's.

dlbeck

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:48 pm »
I was in your exact same situation about 30 days ago.  I had the 683's for 18 months and after hearing joe bonamassa live and then listening to his dvd and wondering where the sounds went, I decided to go on the hunt.

My first stop was my local av store where they had the CM8's.  They sounded really nice but was missing the low..

The sales guy convinced me to order the CM9's and for about 3000 i placed the order.

I am kinda like you, want to do the proper due diligence to make sure im in the right spot with my money.  After reading posts on avsforum, I came across Salk Speakers.

I have to be honest, I really liked the feedback I got from literally everything I read.  I had additional questions though...  so I called the number on website...guess who answered.... Jim him self...  the owner and maker...  how's that for service!

After spending the next two days bound and determined to find anyone that spoke negatively about their salk speakers, I NEVER FOUND ANYONE.

I decided to cancel my CM9 order and make investment and for roughly 1200 more, ordered the HT2-tl's.  Im taking  a chance as I have not heard them before but when you read the expertise of the folks that love their speakers, my novice ears will certainly be pleased.

I cant wait to get mine!  About the middle of may i guess so if you want to wait, I will let you know...

Spinerep

This is the exact thing I did.  However, I heard both the Songtowers and the HT2-TL's at the same time.  Listened to the Songtowers first and played the demo CD's I had brought.  I quickly realized that these speakers were special - heard my songs like I never had before.  Easily the best speaker I have ever heard.  Well, for about 15 minutes, until we switched to the HT2-TL's.  Not a huge difference.  The SongTowers are amazing.

sarge_in

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:37 pm »
I did a comparison some time back. Of course, YMMV.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87383.0

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:39 pm »
I don't have time to type out a detailed response, but as a former B&W speaker fan for more than 16 years (last pair was 805S's), I MUCH prefer the sound of Salk speakers.  I auditioned a pair of SongTower's with the ribbon tweeter and couldn't sell my B&W's fast enough.  I've owned my HT2-TL's for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier.

The best recommendation is to audition them for yourself.  Contact Jim Salk to help you, it will be worth your while.

I also highly recommend using a sub for 2-channel.  It is the single best way I know of to correct for in-room bass response.  It is absolutely critical that the sub be setup properly and EQ'd.  B&W makes decent subs, so it was most likely poor setup that made them not sound good, or "fake".

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:51 pm »
GTAudiophile,

I suppose I should expand on why I suggested the CM9’s.

In the end, I feel the Marantz+CM9 combo to be about 90% of what I am looking for

If you already like what you heard from the CM-9s when being fed by an inexpensive source and a receiver, then I’m confident you will find that remaining 10% of satisfaction when you pair those speakers up with some high quality two channel components. The bottom line is that you haven’t heard what those speakers can really do yet. :)

I wonder if there is another brand out there that offers similar sound to the CM9 with a TOUCH of added warmth and a little power/extension on the low-end/bass.

The SongTowers sound nothing like the CM-9’s. And though the SongTowers will give you quicker, more articulate bass…   they cannot match the CM-9’s in terms of power handling and low end heft and extension.

I also feel that going for a stereo (2.0) tube amplifier would be best.

Smart guy. Yep, a good stereo tube amp will do wonders for many speakers in the price range that you’re looking at. I evaluating the CM-9’s at the moment and have found a wonderful match between them and a $980 tube amp from Vista Audio.  Unfortunately, I can’t think of any tube integrated amps that feature HDMI switching.

I wish I could expand on this further, but I have to get going. One thing I must mention is that I’m not making this post as a slight to the SongTowers. They are good speakers for what they are. But do they fulfill any of the criteria the OP illustrated? From what I can tell .. they don't.

ricardojoa

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:52 pm »

GTAudiophile,

I suppose I should expand on why I suggested the CM9’s.

The SongTowers sound nothing like the CM-9’s. And though the SongTowers will give you quicker, more articulate bass…   they cannot match the CM-9’s in terms of power handling and low end heft and extension.     

So the Song still offers more articulate bass, sounds great. How did you come that the cm handles more power base on some av receiver? You have not mention about the highs, so how did each do?

Smart guy. Yep, a good stereo tube amp will do wonders for many speakers in the price range that you’re looking at. I evaluating the CM-9’s at the moment and have found a wonderful match between them and a $980 tube amp from Vista Audio.  Unfortunately, I can’t think of any tube integrated amps that feature HDMI switching.

I wish I could expand on this further, but I have to get going. One thing I must mention is that I’m not making this post as a slight to the SongTowers. They are good speakers for what they are. But do they fulfill any of the criteria the OP illustrated? From what I can tell .. they don't.

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:35 pm »
Hello Ricardojoa,

Well man, I've tested both the SongTowers (dome tweeter version) and the CM-9's on an HK330 multi-channel receiver (in the same room, albeit at different times), and used my trusty analog SPL meter on both of em'. Anyways, the CM-9's flat out move more air. It's the whole "There's no replacement for displacement' thing.  Oh, and I didn't mention the highs because the original poster never asked. :)