Mark's "new" Crotch Mahogany HT3's

jsalk

Mark's "new" Crotch Mahogany HT3's
« on: 19 Aug 2007, 03:23 pm »
Mark and Kristy visited our shop and picked out some makore veneer for their HT3's.  They loved them when they picked them up and loved the sound quality.  But after a few months, Kristi had reservations about the veneer they selected.  Mark contacted me and asked if the cabinets could be re-veneered.  I told him that the amount of labor involved in removing the old finish and getting them ready to re-veneer would simply be too great.  The best option would be to simply build new HT3's and I would help him sell his current pair.  So that is the approach we took.

Mark had seen some crotch mahogany HT3's we had done for someone else and loved the veneer.  So we searched and found a batch of some very nice mahogany.  But this time around, Mark wanted to go all the way.  So we added Sonicaps, Blackhole and, most importantly from a visual point of view, a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish that would make the mahogany really "pop."

As usual with a finish like this, these HT3's were very hard to photograph.  The high-gloss finish reflected everything.  We did the best we could, but the photos still show a lot of glare and reflections.  There are also some artifacts from the jpg compression.  Oh well...here they some photos...

And a close up...

We used a flash (it was getting dark) on the close-up shot which affected the color.  The color in the main photo is more accurate.

Mark loved them when he picked them up yesterday and can't wait to see the look on Kristi's face when she returns from a trip.  He thinks she will be simply amazed.  We'll see...

Happy listening Mark...

- Jim

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Re: Mark's "new" Crotch Mahogany HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2007, 03:53 pm »
Those are great, best I think you've done, congrats. :drool: :thumb:

JP78

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:04 pm »
beautiful speakers.  for some reason the feet look photoshopped.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:55 pm »
Sexy! :rock:

One of the highest compliments I can bestow upon anybody:  I am jealous!!!   :bowdown:

clipped

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:59 pm »
What happened to the "current pair" :roll: :drool:

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2007, 12:22 am »
JP78-

Good reason...they are.  I take these shots in my shop which isn't a very nice background.  I then take them into photoshop and remove the background.  I guess I didn't do a very good job of returning the shadows to the plinths.  Sorry.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2007, 12:23 am »
clipped -

What happened to the "current pair" :roll: :drool:

The current pair, along with a matching center channel are for sale.  We will post an adiogon listing in September if they are not sold by then.

- Jim

95bcwh

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:13 am »
wow.....can I trade in my 1-year-old HT3 for a more stylish pair????   :drool: :drool:

Kidding aside, you've clearly outdone yourself again..congratulation to the owner of this pair.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:27 am »
I think I see Jesus in one of the speakers...can you find him?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:42 am »

Looks more like Moses to me.  Top center side.

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:50 am »
These speakers are so beautiful, that I want to cry, :bawl:, because they're not mine.  Jim, you are a truly gifted artisan.

NB

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:16 am »
It's actually my reflection in the mirror-like surface of the cabinet.  :P

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:23 am »
rrrrrrrrrrrright.  And what commandment are you handing down?  Though shalt not covet thy neighbor's speaker?

JP78

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:26 am »
JP78-

Good reason...they are.  I take these shots in my shop which isn't a very nice background.  I then take them into photoshop and remove the background.  I guess I didn't do a very good job of returning the shadows to the plinths.  Sorry.

- Jim

jim - if you did photoshop you did an excellent job otherwise.  i originally thought the nature scenery was a backdrop...i was mistaken.  you're a man of many talents :).  keep building beautiful speakers...i hope to hear your work some day.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:05 pm »
why not photo shop lonewolf into the photo leaning on them?

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:39 pm »
I believe the floor is in Jim's house and the outside pic is a backdrop.  When he worked at home he used this set up for pics. 

I think he should get some models to pose next to each set of speakers.  Then we could rate them  aa

clipped

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:37 pm »
Can we get a look see at the "old" set? aa

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:57 pm »
clipped -

Can we get a look see at the "old" set? aa

Here is a link to a thread on Mark's "old" HT3's and HTC...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36493.0

They are for sale as a unit as he will also be replacing the center channel with one that matches his new HT3's.  As I recall, these will be offered for about $6900 (obo).

- Jim

LadyDog

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:07 pm »

Or is it Waldo?

yooper

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2007, 04:10 pm »
I am the lucky owner of these speakers  :wave:  Looks like I'm a little late to my own party  :beer: but appreciate the positive feedback.

I meant to chime in a couple days ago, but the day after I picked the speakers up, the FedEx guy arrived with a pair of Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's and the Candela (tube pre).   aa
I have been a very busy (and lucky) boy!

When I arrived at Jim's shop to pick these speakers up and laid eyes on them for the first time, you would have thought I was a 10 year old boy seeing all the presents Santa brought on Christmas morning, I was pretty geeked! 

As Jim mentioned, my wife was out of town when I picked them up but she was coming home in a couple days.  Before she came home that evening, I covered them up with a couple blankets.   We had a couple beers and I later had her stand with her eyes closed as I "unveiled" them to her (I admit, I have a little "geek" in me).  Her reaction mimicked mine, she was stoked!  She even plopped herself on the floor in front of one of the speakers and stared while enjoying an adult beverage.   :rock:

We both want to give a big shout out to Jim, and say thank you for everything.  We really appreciate your working with us as well as building something so beautiful. 

In our opinion, we both believe we own one of the nicest looking and unique pair of speakers available anywhere, at any cost.

And the sound, goodness let's not forget about the real reason to own a pair of Jim's speakers. 

Kristi posed a hypothetical question.  She asked me, "If someone wanted to buy our speakers for a few thousand dollars more than what we paid for them, would you sell them?"  I thought for a second and said "no".  She said "me neither".

Mark

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2007, 04:50 pm by yooper »