The sound is perfect...now how do I add more sources without screwing it up

schw06

I recently bought Maraschino desktop monoblocks and honestly was not expecting the amps to be anywhere near the quality in sound I’m getting from them. I had no need for a dac but out of sheer curiosity I bought a Dac Dac 1-HS from Tommy and hooked them up as he recommends- Dac direct to amp using the volume control in Roon. I’m still in disbelief how absolutely fantastic this sounds...dare I say perfect for my tastes(best aspects of SS and tubes). Here’s the rub- how do I add the other sources to my system without changing a thing??? I don’t want to screw up what I have. Directions I’m considering are:
1. Find a balanced preamp transparent enough to plug all my sources in (passive or ss)
2. Consider a pro xlr switch with 2 xlr inputs (one for Dac and one for other sources)
3. Leave it alone and use my other sources in another system or headphones
-if anyone prefers the direct Dac to amp approach but has found a good way to add other sources without changing the sound, please let me know how you navigated the waters.
Thanks!
David

Wind Chaser

I recently bought Maraschino desktop monoblocks and honestly was not expecting the amps to be anywhere near the quality in sound I’m getting from them.

I told you.  :green:

Wind Chaser

1. Find a balanced preamp transparent enough to plug all my sources in (passive or ss)
Check out the nobsound xlr passive...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161437.0

Leave it alone and use my other sources in another system or headphones

That’s the angle I am contemplating but for different reasons.

matevana

Take a look at the passive preamps from Luminous Audio and Goldpoint. The first uses an infinite potentiometer that shunts to ground, and the second uses a high quality ladder type resistor pot in a more conventional topography. Both offer XLR options (variety of inputs and outputs) as well as resistance matching options. Not as cheap but absolutely transparent and I find them to work well with Cherry Amps. FYI, the resistor value on my Luminous Axiom passive is 2.5k.

Randy

I recently bought Maraschino desktop monoblocks and honestly was not expecting the amps to be anywhere near the quality in sound I’m getting from them. I had no need for a dac but out of sheer curiosity I bought a Dac Dac 1-HS from Tommy and hooked them up as he recommends- Dac direct to amp using the volume control in Roon. I’m still in disbelief how absolutely fantastic this sounds...dare I say perfect for my tastes(best aspects of SS and tubes). Here’s the rub- how do I add the other sources to my system without changing a thing??? I don’t want to screw up what I have. Directions I’m considering are:
2. Consider a pro xlr switch with 2 xlr inputs (one for Dac and one for other sources)
-if anyone prefers the direct Dac to amp approach but has found a good way to add other sources without changing the sound, please let me know how you navigated the waters.
Thanks!
David

Check out Tortuga Audio right here on AC to solve your no. 1 alternative.

sugbob21

i use one of those Nobsound passives with an STM amp.....it has one balanced input for the Cherry DAC and one SE for my phono pre amp...with a balanced out to the STM

All sounds good to me...just turn the volume pot to max on the STM and use the Nobsound volume

Other alternative is to just keep switching out cables to the STM.

mhconley

Nobsound also makes an excellent little 3-IN-3-OUT XLR Balanced/RCA Stereo Converter Audio Switch. No reason to spend silly money for what you need to do. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366

Martin

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Thanks!
David

Ask Tommy.

charles

RonN5

David,

If you can hang in there a while...not exactly sure how long....I suspect Tommy is continuing work on a preamp...which should be the perfect complement to your cherry amp.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
In case it helps, here's a list of threads with comments about preamps:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155183.msg1661482#msg1661482

Ragnar71

I don’t know if this has been mentioned but in keeping with the minimalist vibe of a cherry amp, Decware sells a switch box, made of super high quality parts, and machines RCA jacks , you can even get it with a remote control volume. It’s very small and is basically a passive pre amp and Steve promises it absolutely does not degrade the sound in any way, or color it. They use them with his tube amps all the time. Don’t know why it wouldn’t work with a Cherry

Wind Chaser

Ragnar, it's not balanced so it won't avail.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Ragnar, it's not balanced so it won't avail.
We include RCA adapters with all our amps, so it can work.

Ragnar71

Go read about it. It’s not cheaply made, and that guy is pretty big on nothing interfering in the signal path in the stuff he brings to his customers.