We just lost power.

Danny Richie

We just lost power.
« on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:33 pm »
The power company said it will be a few hours before they can get power restored.

So much for the Wedgie base drawings I was working on.

At least I have a battery back up for my modem and my lap top is charged. And the phones still work.

It is also about 98 degrees outside today. Something tells me is is going to get warm in here.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: We just lost power.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:27 pm »
Ouch. Open windows on opposite sides of the house/room for cross ventilation. Not great but better than nothing

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:30 pm »
We never lose power in Los Angeles. HOWEVER, in the last two days over 20 hours. What are the odds...

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:54 pm »
Alright, back on again. Now back to getting some real work done.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:23 pm »

It is also about 98 degrees outside today. Something tells me is is going to get warm in here.

Cool huh  :lol:  Up til this week, we have had  weeks of 100-108 f temps, no AC in this place, and fires buring everywhere. A bunch of new ones started up the other night after a huge lightning storm (again).
On top of the heat and fires, we've got ongoing  air quality warnings due to smale. At one point, we had approx 200 firs burning in BC, haven't checked on the #  for a few days.
Starting to remind me of '03......   hopefully it doesn't get that bad

jay

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:37 am »
Living in the boonies, 40 miles from the nearest town of size, at the end of a private 5 mile gravel road and the end of the grid, we lose power regularly with the winter storms. We are usually among the last to have power restored, sometimes taking days, but usually 4-10 hours. Thus, I have a 9kw diesel remote start generator that runs the whole house, including the audio system with ease. It's located 200' from the house, and is inaudible. 50 gallons of fuel (on hand) will run it for 150+ hours.
Bring on the storms!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:01 am »
Living in the boonies, 40 miles from the nearest town of size, at the end of a private 5 mile gravel road and the end of the grid, we lose power regularly with the winter storms. We are usually among the last to have power restored, sometimes taking days, but usually 4-10 hours. Thus, I have a 9kw diesel remote start generator that runs the whole house, including the audio system with ease. It's located 200' from the house, and is inaudible. 50 gallons of fuel (on hand) will run it for 150+ hours.
Bring on the storms!

Similar situation, have a little 5kW pull start with outdoor outlet wired to our circuit panel.  In the winter I keep 10 gallons of gas (with stabilizer) on hand.  Christmas week of 2013 we lost power for 6 days, so am looking at a whole house generator (propane) too.  I've been advised that generator lifetimes are based on hours run, not kW produced, so it's recommended to add whole house batteries that would allow the generator to run much less.  The batteries would stay charged from utility power and run first at loss of power.  Once depleted the generator would take over and charge the batteries with excess power, then shut off and allow the batteries to take over.  Especially useful at night when power use is low.