I'm finally putting my x-statics together and have a question.

flavo

When soldering the speaker wire to the through holes of the circuit board. Do I just fold a small section of bare wire over at a 90d angle and solder it to the board?
Thanks!

Captainhemo

You don't need to  bend a lot over (try not to actually fold it, you want a bend, not a crese), as long as you are making good contact with the pad you should be good.  You can close the  hole right up with solder once the wire is on the  pad.  You want the wire making the connection , not the solder

jay

flavo

Wonderful, thanks. And I'm running 2 wires per driver from the board? So with 5 drivers, that would mean 10 wires soldered to the board. I just want to make sure I'm not supposed to run 1 set of wires per high - mid - low and then tandem the next driver off of that.

Captainhemo

Sorry, if you read this before I edited it, I screwed up, the bottom 2 would also be in parallel as there are only 2  :duh:
You've got 2 for the tweeter (+, - )
Then the top 2 OB woofers are in parallel so, you could just run the single + and single - from the  c/o to the lower  of the top 2 woofers then jumper  up to the top driver (- to- ,+ to +) 

You can wire the 2 bottom ones the same way,  it will save you some wire.  If you think you have enough, you can do it the way you originally said runnin 2 wires from each  hole in the board aside from the tweeter circuit which would of course be a single + and a single -

jay

flavo

Wow, I figured it had to be one way or the other. Thanks so much Jay!

Captainhemo

No worries,
and thinking about it a bit more,  you probably wouldn't save much wire (if any depending on where you located your  boards) by jumpering from driver to driver on the bottom pair, migh as well just run both of the bottom cabinet drivers direct  to the board....
but I would jumper  the top pair as it saves you going all the way back  down

jay

flavo

Well I'm glad I knew I could jumper :-)
The hole is too small to fit both leads through.

I've got it soldered up! Now for connecting the speakers. I am temporarily going to use those female crimp connectors as that's what I have. I figured it best not to solder the speaker leads so I can remove them for finishing the cabinets and such. Is there a better looking connector that you or anyone else can recommend? I was thinking maybe just the bare female ends that I can solder to the wire? But I'm hoping for something more attractive.

Captainhemo

I'd use whatever you have for testing, once  you know it all works then disaaemble for finishing,  solder the connections and  use a bit of shrink tube  over  each if you can when you re-assemble

jay

srb

Is there a better looking connector that you or anyone else can recommend? I was thinking maybe just the bare female ends that I can solder to the wire? But I'm hoping for something more attractive.

Parts Express has some gold-plated 1/4" Female Quick Disconnect Terminals, but (a) they do only come in 1/4" size and (b) the vinyl insulation completely covers the gold plating (which you could cut back if you wanted, though).

Steve

Danny Richie

Wonderful, thanks. And I'm running 2 wires per driver from the board? So with 5 drivers, that would mean 10 wires soldered to the board. I just want to make sure I'm not supposed to run 1 set of wires per high - mid - low and then tandem the next driver off of that.

You can just run one set of wires to the mids and one set of wires to the woofers and then just parallel the drivers. That's the easiest and it minimizes the wire lengths.

Danny Richie

Re: I'm finally putting my x-statics together and have a question.
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:55 pm »
I've got it soldered up! Now for connecting the speakers. I am temporarily going to use those female crimp connectors as that's what I have. I figured it best not to solder the speaker leads so I can remove them for finishing the cabinets and such. Is there a better looking connector that you or anyone else can recommend? I was thinking maybe just the bare female ends that I can solder to the wire? But I'm hoping for something more attractive.

Using slip on connectors to the speakers will degrade the signal. Don't use anything like that. Just solder the wiring directly to the drivers then seal them with the heat shrink that is provided with the kit. It will look very clean. If you need to un-solder them for any reason then they un-solder just as fast and easy as soldering them on to begin with.

flavo

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm »
Thanks folks. I will end up soldering them to the terminals. :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:32 am »
Soldering tip.

Lay the stripped wire flat on the terminal to size it up. This is how it is to be soldering on. You want as much surface area contact as possible.

But first, tin the wire and tin the terminal with solder. Then get them both hot with the soldering iron and lay the wire flat against the terminal just like you did when it was bare.

Don't forget to slide the heat shrink over the wire before soldering it to it. Then slide the heat shrink down over it and seal it.

flavo

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:44 am »
Thanks Danny, I appreciate it.

Any body want to buy my Tekton Lores?  :D
They will be for sale shortly :icon_lol:

Thanks folks!