A bit taller N3 for my office at home- Thanks Ruben and Danny

Andre2

My extra tall N3 arrived today, completing my system!
 :D Well, they look fantastic and sound really great.  :thumb:

Unpacking with my friend

Right speaker: chair required extra tall N3 so lower woofer edge
   would be a bit above it, this was kindly done by Ruben.

Left speaker detail - awesome finish!  :D

Speakers view from the listening chair

Listening chair in my decor conscious office  :lol: 

My $5K system: Eastern Electric M88 Integrated & Minimax DAC plus,
   Pioneer CDP,  Pure i-20 dock, Solid Steel Rack (... actually $6K, 20% over
   my initial budget is not that bad  8) :lol:)

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
Man those look Great and it looks like Christmas is getting Merry a little early  :green: R.K.

Meicheng

What I'd do for an office system like that!  Looks great and I'll bet it sounds great too.  Congrats.

Andre2

Thanks.  I called my home office system, which is really my only hi-fi system.

I was thinking that I am actually not done yet with this system as my speaker wires are old 16 gauge that I had bought from tweeter in 2003.  Can anybody please (Danny?) answer if other wire$ can make a difference (for better, of course) in the sound quality?

Danny Richie

Wiring choices can make a pretty substantial difference for sure. It depends on how long the runs are, on the quality of the upstream components, and your budget as to what I'd recommend.

I really like the Electra Cable speaker wires as a personally favorite but that might not be best for your application.

Andre2

Thanks for your reply Danny.  I will trust your expert advise, and will try to have a budget for this next year. 

For those interested, here is a video of my homeoffice system captured using an iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=Bf7Lhttl4yk

Playing music from In the Court of the Crimson  King

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Hearing differences in cables is what got me into this hobby around 15 years ago.  My favorite is Kimber Kable 4TC as well as the less expensive 4VS.  Both easily sound better than your typical parallel zip cord types.  Or to put it more accurately do less damage to the signal than the common stuff.  I'm sure there's other good ones out there but the Kimbers have worked for me in numerous systems, with tube and solid state amps, and with a wide variety of speakers.

If I can give any advice it's to listen for yourself and be wary of the great debate.  Many of the better cable makers provide a money back guarantee.  Check you local dealers to see if they can loan you a pair to try.  And keep an open mind. :thumb:

Andre2

After a couple of days listening to the music I like on this system, I am so happy with the sound I got.  I can hear details that I could never make up before with my cheap $220 a pair old Boston acoustic speakers that I had. Boy, it took me a long time to be able to afford all this, but I am really glad I set up a budget and saved the money. 

Now I think that the audiophile bug really bit me, cuz I keep thinking what i need to do to further improve the sound... such as
- good quality speaker cables:  yes for sure  :D
- wall treatment: na, will ruin my decor   :nono:
- Bryston digital player: more $$$ out of my bank account  :scratch:

cujobob

Many fashionable ways to treat a room...do that first.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
I too recommend a little room treatment.  ATS Acoustics makes some really nice and inexpensive panels that work very well. 

At the very least, treating the first reflection points will help open up the soundstage and improve overall resolution.  Vocals will be clearer and easier to understand.

...it never ends. :wink:

jeffh

Check out the GIK ArtPanel™ from GIK Acoustics.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_artpanel.html

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Hey Andre,

Just found these closeups of your speakers on my camera. Forgot I even took them! :scratch: They aren't the best shots, but they show your finish a little better than the phone shots. :D

Best,

Ruben

Andre2

The finish is truly awesome, Ruben!  :thumb:
Everybody that comes by my office/music room is really impressed.  :thumb:

I need to do some acoustic treatment now, cuz the room is kind of small at 13ft by 9ft 6in and is wood veneer all around and it is kind of taking away from the good drivers that I know I have.  But, need to save the money first...

Andre2

Re: A bit taller N3 for my office at home- Thanks Ruben and Danny
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:28 am »
Finally I added some acoustic treatment in my home-office/listening -room.

DIY 2ft by 4ft panels - 3.5 inch Roxul safe & Sound, 1/2 inch plywood on the back, with Hobby Lobby fabric staple on the back.  A total of 8 panels in the listening room, as follows:

Behind each speaker 2 ft by 4 ft panels:

Opposite to speakers: two panels behind listening chair, two panels at each corner, and one panel at first reflection point to the right of the listening chair:

One more panel above bookcase on first reflection point (kind of high, i know) to the left of the the listening chair:

Andre2

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:31 am »
With these panels, I can clearly note more separation of the instruments, better overall sound clarity and definition.  Much more enjoyable listening experience.
Thanks for the advice given to me by those fellows above in this thread.
Cheers.  :D

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:51 am »
Congrats on making a good thing even better! I'd try to find a way to work the panels into the decor a little better, personally...

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:12 am »
Ruben,

I didn't know you offered a mirror finish  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Andre,

Just found these closeups of your speakers on my camera. Forgot I even took them! :scratch: They aren't the best shots, but they show your finish a little better than the phone shots. :D

Best,

Ruben

Andre2

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2012, 04:23 am »
I moved my system to the living room for the first time, because I wanted to see if I could hear any sound improvement on a bigger room which is 22-ft long, 15-ft wide.

Yes, it does sound better than in my small office.  I believe that i got most improvement in the lower frequencies; the bass, somehow, appears much 'stronger' and better 'defined'; but overall sound is better... I am listening to the Legacy Music Sampler Vol 1m "Stop Running Round' the music sounds really better and the speakers are really more impressive here.

system view from listening chair - mac streaming iTunes/audirvana, eastern electric dac plus, ee m88 integrated tube amplifier

room view from behind speaker

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2012, 09:55 pm by Andre2 »

Andre2

« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:17 pm »
well, I recorded with an iPhone5 and posted on youtube a one-minute video with the music noted above, for whatever it is worth, here is the link:

Stop Running Round music sampler

cleestedwood

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2012, 04:43 am »
Andre2, are your N3s built as TLs with the port in the back? I was interested if the acoustic treatment behind your speaker made a difference in your office . I understand that these speakers need to be 3 Ft away from the wall for best bass results. Thanks, Paul