Anyone getting the new PS3 Slim?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Anyone getting the new PS3 Slim?
« on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:38 am »
Both the new PS3 Slim and the PS3 will be $299 on September 1. There are advantages to both...

srb

Re: Anyone getting the new PS3 Slim?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:50 am »
There are advantages to both...

So please tell us...

Steve

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:38 am »
what are the major differences pro cons or a web sight a /b ing thr unites. I am interested ibn getting a unit.

ed

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2009, 03:46 pm »
It is tempting, but I only have one TV, and the xbox is fought over already.
Differences- http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10313110-1.html

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2009, 07:01 pm »
I've been holding off on a PS3 for a while now...  The slim looks good to me, I'll have to do a closer comparo before I decide which one to get though, most likely I will go for the slim.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm »
Any thoughts on the PS3 slim having less or more fan noise than the PS3?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2009, 07:58 pm »
Here is a central location of PS3 news:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/19/yesterdays-playstation-news-all-in-one-place/

From what I glanced over it is 30% smaller and uses 30% less energy (I would like to figure that means less heat therefore less fan noise).  It has a bigger hard drive 120GB and no longer allows other OS's to be installed. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:03 pm »
Not until my current PS3 dies.   :nono:
Knock on wood.......

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm »
I will probably get one...my DVD player recently died and my PS2 is hanging by a thread.  A new PS3 could replace both... :thumb:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:55 pm »
Phil if you want to play PS2 games you'll still need a PS2 (or the more obscure previous gen PS3 that did play PS2 games).
I think this is a huge blunder on Sony's part not to have the PS3 slim play PS2 games.  I know it costs money but that's an investment that could make the PS3 much more desirable to a wider audience.  Huge selection of inexpensive fun games.  :roll:

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:48 am »
I have the PS3 w 80GB - it can be upgraded to about any size SATA drive I think. I can put linux on it, maybe if I finish 100 other projects.

I surfed U Tube on my tv with a bluetooth mouse - pretty cool

My PS3 has 4 USB versus 2 USB on 2 USB ports, same as the Slim. But it has more on/off/standby options  :bounce:

Slim should be quieter - I think it is 45nm process chips.

Since I got mine for $250 last December by opening a Sony Chase Credit Card I am not unhappy - but I do want a 65" TV to take advantage of the Blu-Ray!

Here is another rundown of some differences http://gizmodo.com/5341207/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-ps3-slim?skyline=true&s=x
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 05:14 pm by jqp »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:28 am »
What do you know, my PS3 died 2 weeks ago.  I'm pretty upset, especially after all I went through to get the backwards compatible sacd playing 4 usb porting version, which was A LOT.  Out of warranty, of course, and for the price of "repair," I would be over half way towards the PS3 slim.  I have a sneaking suspicion they will send me some random refurb unit and not a ps2 backwards compatible unit if I sent my PS3 in for "repair."

So, yes, I'll be getting the slim.  BTW, not all "fat" PS3s have 4 usb ports.  That's something I'll really miss in moving to the slim.  I liked having my rockband wireless usb dongles hanging off the back of the PS3 and having the front ones available.

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm »
Phil if you want to play PS2 games you'll still need a PS2 (or the more obscure previous gen PS3 that did play PS2 games).
I think this is a huge blunder on Sony's part not to have the PS3 slim play PS2 games.  I know it costs money but that's an investment that could make the PS3 much more desirable to a wider audience.  Huge selection of inexpensive fun games.  :roll:

Interesting, I didn't know that.  I mostly play sports games (Madden Football, 2K Basketball), so I guess I'll mostly be fine since those games get updates every year.  But I do have a handful of PS2 games that come in handy when my nephews visit that I'd rather not re-buy as PS3 games...what to do, what to do.... :scratch:

Toka

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:30 pm »
I gotta say the Slim makes me think about picking up a PS3...now they just need some games on there I really want and I'll be sold.  8) I like that the Slim will be quieter, but some things have been taken away (you can't install Linux anymore, though I probably wouldn't have done that). Another thing just discussed is that the Slim will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio (other versions did the conversion internally and they outputted LPCM audio). Not a big deal for most people, though I am sure some will be happy. (Incomplete) comparison chart is posted here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/tabulator-ps3-slim-and-phat-sized-up/

As for PS2 compatibility, I'd wager it has more to do with the fact that PS2 hardware sales are still strong more than anything.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2009, 04:56 pm »
(Incomplete) comparison chart is posted here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/tabulator-ps3-slim-and-phat-sized-up/

Yes, incomplete version of the chart - it does not have mine which is CECHL01. Still useful. There are 3 currently produced models of the PS3 CECHP01(160GB), CECHL01(80GB) and the new Slim.

So after some research (and looking at the back), my CECHL01 has only 2 USB ports  :evil: , no SACD support  :evil: , no built-in media card slots, software PS1 compatibility , and no PS2 compatibility. I apparently does have the new 65nm graphics chip.

So my special $250 (with credit card) PS3 has almost the same features as the new Slim.

One thing it does have, that the Slim does not, is an Ethernet cable jack in addition to wireless b/g. I like that because wireless may not always be ideal. But many would never use an Ethernet cable for their PS3, and just go wireless.

My PS3 purchase was not so much for gaming. I was more interested in it as a Blu-Ray player, with many other features, plus the games. For example you can surf the web with a wireless mouse and keyboard. The Slim is a great candidate for a Blu-Ray player and also seems to finally have the full audio signal output for Blu_Ray. The problem is you will need to pipe it all over an HDMI cable....toslink (optical) does not do hi-res audio!

All hard drives are upgradeable as long as you use 2.5" SATA.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm by jqp »

Toka

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:46 pm »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2009, 01:27 am »
Someone shoot me, I just picked one up today.  This wasn't supposed to happen.