Intro and advice for building a system around X4s

DaveWin88

Re: Intro and advice for building a system around X4s
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2022, 01:30 am »
They'll probably sell like hot cakes.

Bingenito

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2022, 09:38 am »
When I added an SRA Scuttle rack and moved things around, my 8' Fideliums are ~1' too short now

TomS... You need to buy an Audiophile grade cable stretcher  :lol: J/K. I often wish that was a real product. Each time I swap gear or go to reorg my racks I run into the same thing. Now with the cost of materials and supply being non-existent I just leave everything alone.

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2022, 09:48 am »
TomS... You need to buy an Audiophile grade cable stretcher  :lol: J/K. I often wish that was a real product. Each time I swap gear or go to reorg my racks I run into the same thing. Now with the cost of materials and supply being non-existent I just leave everything alone.
Seems right up Synergistic Research's alley. Charge by the stretch  :green:

fataxeman

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2022, 01:13 am »
I am using this space to see if my message will be posted.  I joined Audio Circle on May 3 and made a post on Spatial Audio speakers.  I also bought a pair of Spatial speakers online today and wanted to discuss them.

Directions said that I needed to make 3 posts and that they were to be approved by a moderator, but I've received no emails about this.  I also basically have no idea how to navigate this site.

Do you have to somehow create 3 posts and then a moderator contacts you with approval hopefully?

If anyone sees this and can give me a pointer or two, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Bingenito

« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2022, 11:50 am »
Well look at that… the AudioCircle genie granted your wish to post! Welcome to the party.

What Spatials did you get?

Daryl Zero

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2022, 03:16 pm »
Are you a guitar player or a lumberjack?

or a hitman?

SoundSound

« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2022, 02:24 pm »
I don't have nearly the experience as these guys but one thing I can recommend whole hardheartedly is the Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cables. Still in shock :) how much my system has opened up. Airy and extended topend, mids are wonderful. Great bass extension. Tonally just enough of a change to sound just right.  A lot of people who have tried these cables swear by them.

They look beautiful indeed, and, most importantly, probably sound just right too...  :)
Could you, dear experts, please help me understand what advantages the Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cables offer over the more traditional designs like, for example, ANTICABLES or Kimber Kable?  :scratch:
In case it is the form-factor we are after, what is your opinion on the products from Nordost or the Shadow Ribbon speaker cables from the Pine Tree Audio?  :scratch:
If our goal is the minimal resistance, what do you think of pure silver speaker cables from Tempo Electric or the Silver Sonic Q-10 from DH Labs?  :scratch:
If it is not minimal R, than what? Capacitance, inductance? Some "optimal" combination of all the above factors?  :scratch:
Lost... Need help, please...  :)

doggie

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2022, 12:19 pm »
Also consider Duelund 16awg (DCA16GA) Tin Plated Copper Hookup Wire. Lots of reviews of it on the web. I am using them with my X5's.

It offers great tonality and detail without the bright and etched quality of some expensive cables that use silver.

It makes a great bang-for-the-buck DIY cable. You can likely find better cables out there but at many multiples of the price for these.

If purchasing, remember to buy two lengths per speaker run. Just twist each pair a bit.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2022, 04:02 pm »
Also consider Duelund 16awg (DCA16GA) Tin Plated Copper Hookup Wire. Lots of reviews of it on the web. I am using them with my X5's.

It offers great tonality and detail without the bright and etched quality of some expensive cables that use silver.

It makes a great bang-for-the-buck DIY cable. You can likely find better cables out there but at many multiples of the price for these.

If purchasing, remember to buy two lengths per speaker run. Just twist each pair a bit.

You should have posted that a day ago.  :D
I just sprung for used silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cables I saw about 1/2 price on the other market site.

Gsb1000

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2022, 09:09 pm »
I might be interested in those cables-what length and what termination are they?
Cheers-
Gsb an X5 owner

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2022, 09:35 pm »
I might be interested in those cables-what length and what termination are they?
Cheers-
Gsb an X5 owner
Not sure who you're asking this of. Mine are 8'. The Fidelium's don't have "termination" per se, just a U shaped slot in the ribbon where metal is exposed, that slides into the binding post. The best connector is no connector ;-)

Daryl Zero

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2022, 12:55 am »
If you are directing this to me, I'm going to give them a try once I get them. They are 8' as well.
This is me sticking a toe into higher end cables etc.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2022, 11:16 pm by Daryl Zero »

DaveWin88

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2022, 12:57 am »
SoundSound

One thing about these cables vs Kimbers (btw I have all kimber interconnects) is that there is so little material in the Silversmith, I mean the cables weight nothing and are less than a thousandth of an inch thick. So I'm sure they can transfer the signal to the speakers all day with little effort compared to one's that have a SIGNIFICANT amount more material to pass through. Just a guess though.   

SoundSound

« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2022, 10:59 pm »
... there is so little material in the Silversmith, I mean the cables weight nothing and are less than a thousandth of an inch thick. So I'm sure they can transfer the signal to the speakers all day with little effort ...   
With such small cross-section these cables should probably have high resistance... Not sure about L, and C though... :scratch:
On a totally different matter: what acoustic isolators would you, dear experts, recommend in case of the X4's? I understand the GAIA isolators are quite popular among the X3, and X5 owners... :scratch:
Please chime in! :)

rich121

« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2022, 04:08 am »
Wrong post.

rich121

« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2022, 04:10 am »
SoundSound

One thing about these cables vs Kimbers (btw I have all kimber interconnects) is that there is so little material in the Silversmith, I mean the cables weight nothing and are less than a thousandth of an inch thick. So I'm sure they can transfer the signal to the speakers all day with little effort compared to one's that have a SIGNIFICANT amount more material to pass through. Just a guess though.   

Actually... what you just said is the opposite...the thicker the wire/material, the less resistance.

mrotino332

« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2022, 01:38 pm »
I hate to be a downer but I have the X5s and purchased the Fideliums last summer based on all the very positive reviews.  But unfortunately in my system my two current speaker cables I've been using for several years now were better so I sold them.  I sold them for very little loss since they have wonderful reviews.

I just found them a bit overly smooth and less dynamic than my other speaker cables which are not exotic cables.  Those cables are the Ven Haus Chela unterminated and the discontinued Ridge Street Audio Poiema IIIs.  The Chela are copper and Poiemas are silver and they both are a better fit in my system.  I'm running two integrateds both 30 watt/channel.  One is the Pathos Twin Towers hybrid tube Class A integrated and the other the Tsakiridis Aoelos all tube el 34 integrated.

I'm sure it's a synergy thing but it was also odd that I had to turn up the volume a bit more for the Fideliums as compared to the other two speaker cables which was very strange.  For example if one song that I'm used to listening to on my Pathos was at level 32 I would need to increase that level to 33 or 34 to get the same sound volume when I used the Fideliums.

Anyway definitely try them and if you read the reviews almost all really like them so it's probably a synergy issue in my system as I really thought I would prefer them to my current cables.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2022, 04:54 pm »
I will see and report.

I'm in a different situation than most because I have more of a half-hazard listening space in my office with a half wall blocking stuff in front of me. I can listen near field but I often listen about 10 - 12' feet away. I half office stuff everywhere so I'm not really able to fix the room until I retire (about 1 year + away).

DaveWin88

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2022, 11:38 pm »
Actually... what you just said is the opposite...the thicker the wire/material, the less resistance.
Who would have guessed. Probably why no cables are really thin and small?

Daryl Zero

« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2022, 11:55 pm »
Ok, I got them quickly and set up wasn't too bad even with the lack of space.
They don't quite stretch out as far as my speaker cables.

I don't have to deal with break in because they are used.
I'm trying to listen to stuff that I know because, as I've said before, I think auditory memory is fleeting and without a side by side, it is really hard to compare.

What I'm noticing immediately is that some of the glare I was getting is blunted or rolled off but the highs are still there a are more pleasant.
When listening in the nearfield I really noticed a great separation of instruments.
My nearfield right now is about 2 feet (about a foot closer than before because I had to move one of the speakers closer) so really close so I didn't expect such a soundstage.
Hard to tell about detail. The scraping against the guitar frets seems a bit more upfront in some songs.
Something else that I think I hear is that the vocals seem warmer.

Anyway, the more I listen the more I'm apt to imagine differences.
I tried to report this early in hopes I can distinguish things. 

I'm going to add that besides the highs the biggest thing is that the depth of field seems to have increased (assuming that's not from having to move one of the speakers)