Simple reference system experiment — Cherry MEGA MONO MK2

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Simple experimental system:
SBT > Cherry DAC DAC 1 HS > Cherry MEGA MK2 Monoblocks > Magnepan 1.7i

< no preamp ! >

MEGA Snake speaker cables (9-gauge eq), pretty old Mojo (10-gauge) power cords — separate outlets, only for the Amps.  “Generic” Take Five XLR cables.

Results so far are AMAZING !!

AvsFan

Re: Simple reference system experiment — Cherry MEGA MONO MK2
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2019, 01:47 pm »

< no preamp ! >

MEGA Snake speaker cables (9-gauge eq), pretty old Mojo (10-gauge) power cords — separate outlets, only for the Amps.  “Generic” Take Five XLR cables.

I'm liking what I see! My system will be even simpler. As you already know! Magnepan LRS's, DAC Maraschino, DAC DAC HS1, Denon SACD player and Yamaha Music Streamer. I will be adding a pre-amp in the future and a pair of subs but that's pretty much it.

But yeah, those 1.7's with the Mega Mono MK2's  I bet sounds spectacular! It looks nice!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:30 pm »
I'm liking what I see! My system will be even simpler. As you already know! Magnepan LRS's, DAC Maraschino, DAC DAC HS1, Denon SACD player and Yamaha Music Streamer. I will be adding a pre-amp in the future and a pair of subs but that's pretty much it.

But yeah, those 1.7's with the Mega Mono MK2's  I bet sounds spectacular! It looks nice!
Thanks for the feedback (:

screener

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2019, 09:36 pm »

< no preamp ! >

Nice room. Those Cherry mono amps has my interest. I bet your room sounds amazing!
I like your panels on the wall and the small corner ones. Are these something you made?

Thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm »
MEGA MK2 specs are identical to those shown here, except 1W THD+N is now 0.001% (was 0.005%):
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149935.20

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2019, 02:55 am »
We're planning to offer the amps used here as demos.  They are Cherry MEGA MK2 MONOs with red faceplates, quad rail cap upgrades, and our newest 1500W transformers.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com if interested.  Thanks.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:38 pm »
What speakers are those?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:03 pm »
What speakers are those?
JTR Noesis 210RT.   Here’s the web page:
http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis_210rt.html

They’re pretty amazing.  Able to play very clean and loud, yet they deliver amazing dynamics even at low levels. Lowest distortion I’ve measured in-room so far.  These also image with authority, especially when playing QSound tracks.

AvsFan

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2019, 10:31 pm »
We're planning to offer the amps used here as demos.  They are Cherry MEGA MK2 MONOs with red faceplates, quad rail cap upgrades, and our newest 1500W transformers.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com if interested.  Thanks.

Some of the BEST systems I have ever heard were based upon simplicity. I bet that JTR system sounds phenomenal! I really want to hear those NOESIS speakers!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2019, 05:54 pm »
Same amps used in this system yesterday:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165603.0

lewdogg

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:01 pm »
Does the SBT handle volume control? Just wondering how that's being done. Thanks!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:27 pm »
Does the SBT handle volume control? Just wondering how that's being done. Thanks!
Yes, and it can be controlled by remote through a phone/tablet app.  I use iPeng to control the SBT.  I have LMS (Logitech Media Server) running in the background of a nearby wi-fi and internet-connected PC.  The phone and SBT are on the same wi-fi network -- in this case a dedicated WAP assures speed and reliability.  This setup supports Qobuz as well (works with Spotify Premium too, but I'm not using that at the moment), allowing me to search tracks, build/edit playlists, and control the volume from the comfort of my listening seat.  I can switch between ripped tracks on a connected NAS and streaming from my seat as well.

A Cherry 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HSV (has analog pot controlled digital attenuation) was used in this system temporarily, for testing the REM tone generator, but the normal setup uses a DAC DAC 1 HS since the volume control isn't needed for normal listening.  More about the REW thing here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165490.0