HOP-heads unite (whats your favorite I.P.A. ?)

Christof

Re: HOP-heads unite (whats your favorite I.P.A. ?)
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2011, 03:33 am »
Bells Hop Slam...the Midwest is where it's at!!!!

Check out this video

Bigfish

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2011, 03:37 am »
Stone Ruination! 

I love IPA's and I do not like the ones like Dogfish 90 which has too much malt for me.  I like my IPA's unbalanced and as hoppy as possible.  Stone's Ruination is the best I have found yet!

jopagi

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:01 am »

My current favorite is Mt Tabor Brewing Asylum Ave IPA, although that may be because it's the most recent one that I've had. :D
Other favorites:
 - Double Mountain IRA (India Red Ale) and Hop Lava IPA
 - Terminal Gravity IPA
 - Ninkasi Total Domination
 - Racer V

Prost!

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:44 am »
As a go-to staple, Sierra Nevada is hard to beat. There's a new one from here in Mass. called Opa Opa that is really sensational.

funkmonkey

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:35 am »
Well picked up a six-pack of Racer 5 and Stone Ruination IPA, I’m standing in line all happy with my beer in hand get to the check-out was given the price… knocked that smile right off my face.
Oh well when I open that first beer I’ll get happy again.

Hey PeteG what did you think of your brews?

I just picked up a 6 of Victory Hop Wallop, not bad at all.  I had had this one about a year ago liked it but then forgot about it.  I decided to try it again after someone here mentioned it, glad I did.  Thanks

Cheers

PeteG

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:42 pm »
I enjoyed both IPA’s but Racer 5 will be the one I buy again.
Thanks everybody for the recommendations.

gary

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:17 pm »
Racer 5, Ruination, 90 minute, lagunitas, Sierra Nevada Celebration/torpedo, anchor liberty, those are probably my favorites.

For local beers, I like Ithaca Cascazilla (from upstate NY, technically it's a red ale but it's very hoppy) and Independence Pale Ale (austin tx).

gary

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
Maybe my favorite topic EVER!  So many great IPS's already mentioned, I don't have much more to offier other than:

Arcadia Brewing Co. Hop Head (from Battle Creek MI)
Goose Island IPA (Chicago, IL)
Two Brothers IPA (Warrenville, IL)  awesome little brewery. 

Costco Private label IPS (brewed by NY Brewing Co.).  For the money, it's very good beer.  I think it only comes in a variety pack with two other varieties of beer.  Since I'm an IPA enthusiast, that variety is always the first to go!

I hope to try a few of the ones mentioned in this thread soon!  Keep em' coming!

Cheers!

J

funkmonkey

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:16 am »

Absolutely my favorite.  I had to coax my father to send me some from Michigan.  I was afraid I would miss this seasonal treat, but my old man came through.  Got it yesterday via FedEx.  Awesome.  It has replaced Stones Ruination as my favorite IPA.  Soooooooo good.  It's a shame (for me) that they are not available in the west (along with all of the other Bell's beers).   If you are a hophead and love a good IPA, and have a friend or family member in the east and you live in the west...  Do yourself a favor and ask them to send you some HopSlam!

Cheers....   and thanks Dad.

Bigfish

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:27 am »
I purchased a 6 pack of Oaked Arrogrant Bastard this weekend and while it is not really an I.P.A. it is darn good.  I like Stone's comment about this beer on their web site:

OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale

This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory --- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

Too many strive towards complacency as a goal. We grow up thinking that the ability to become complacent is the equivalence of success in life. True Arrogant Bastards know that this could not be further from the truth. The real beauty, richness and depth in life can only be found if the journey through life itself is looked upon as a constant chance to learn, live and find life’s passion. Passion threatens the complacent, and fills them with fear. Fear of the new, the deep and the different. We, on the other hand, seek it out. Endlessly, joyously...and aggressively. To this end we bring you the “OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale.” Another reward for those seeking new sources of passion, and another point of dissension for those who are not.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:17 pm »
I drank quite a bit of Arcadia IPA last week and had a nasty headache.  Do micro-brew beers give you a worse headache than mass produced varieties?  My friend noticed the same thing. 

I did not have more than 6 pints during the course of the evening but I felt like I had a spike in my skull the next day.  Is it the IPA? 

bprice2

« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:27 pm »
I drank quite a bit of Arcadia IPA last week and had a nasty headache.  Do micro-brew beers give you a worse headache than mass produced varieties?  My friend noticed the same thing. 

I did not have more than 6 pints during the course of the evening but I felt like I had a spike in my skull the next day.  Is it the IPA?

Absolutely, every single time for me with microbrews.  I think it's due to allergies and it's often times worse if it's from the tap...dirty lines.  Sad but true, beers like Bud Light have no headache effect at all on me, unless from a dirty tap.  It's the price I must pay to drink good tasting beer.  :cry:

sts9fan

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:33 pm »
I grabbed three cases of Bells when I was in PA a few weeks ago.(I like beer)
The HopSlam is great as is the ole standby Two Hearted.

Also Troegs Nugget Nectar is out now.  Man I love this stuff!!!

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:38 pm »
While not technically an India Pale Ale, this is my favorite local APA.  :thumb:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #34 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:52 pm »
I don't have one favorite, as there are many great IPAs out there, but I've been drinking a lot of Breckenridge's 471 IPA lately.

BA Reviews

pslate

« Reply #35 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:58 pm »
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/1558

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/35626

Dreadnaught IPA  or Odell IPA. It's so darn hard to choose!!!!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:02 pm »
Don't know what an IPA is but I love Fuller's Extra Special Bitter if that can be included.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:16 pm »
Don't know what an IPA is but I love Fuller's Extra Special Bitter if that can be included.

IPA - India Pale Ale is different from an ESB.  Both are good, but definitely different.

George

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:44 pm »
After I finish my work, I'm going out to Binny's to pick up some of the IPA's on this thread!  Thanks guys and please keep it coming!

I'm happy they kept the specialty circles.  Audio is awesome but there is so much to learn from the people of this site! 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:47 pm »
IPA - India Pale Ale is different from an ESB.  Both are good, but definitely different.

George
Thanks, George.  Yeah, there's nuthin pale about ESB.