Christmas Dinner

taoggniklat

Christmas Dinner
« on: 26 Dec 2010, 01:18 am »
My Mother -in-law is visiting and made Lumpia (Spring roll type) and Pancit (Filipino noodles). Served the steak with onions and mushrooms, and sweet potato and corn.

Enjoy!

Dan Driscoll

Re: Christmas Dinner
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
Looks yummy. :)

I like to do a standing rib roast (aka, prime rib) for Xmas. In the past I've dry-aged one for a couple of weeks, but didn't have the time this year, due to work and family commitments. So I tried something a little different that I read on another site. First, I salted and peppered the roast  about 30 hours in advance. I took it out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking to let it come to room temp and coated it with a paste of horseradish, crushed garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme. Into the oven @ 225* until the center was 125*, then rested for about 40 minutes, until the temp peaked @ 132* and started to drop again. Then back into a 550* oven for about 10 minutes to give it a real nice crust. I let it rest another 20 minutes before carving.

It came out looking great, just on the edge between rare & medium rare, with less than half an inch of grey around the outside. I wish I had pictures, but people were waiting to eat. It was a beautiful pink/red across all the slices and tasted fantastic, if I do say so myself.  :green:

taoggniklat

Re: Christmas Dinner
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm »
Looks yummy. :)

I like to do a standing rib roast (aka, prime rib) for Xmas. In the past I've dry-aged one for a couple of weeks, but didn't have the time this year, due to work and family commitments. So I tried something a little different that I read on another site. First, I salted and peppered the roast  about 30 hours in advance. I took it out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking to let it come to room temp and coated it with a paste of horseradish, crushed garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme. Into the oven @ 225* until the center was 125*, then rested for about 40 minutes, until the temp peaked @ 132* and started to drop again. Then back into a 550* oven for about 10 minutes to give it a real nice crust. I let it rest another 20 minutes before carving.

It came out looking great, just on the edge between rare & medium rare, with less than half an inch of grey around the outside. I wish I had pictures, but people were waiting to eat. It was a beautiful pink/red across all the slices and tasted fantastic, if I do say so myself.  :green:

Sounds fantastic!