Butter Bean Receipes

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Butter Bean Receipes
« on: 15 Jan 2010, 11:26 pm »
I'm looking for butter bean recipes. My grandparents used to make the **best** butter beans I ever tasted. They used celery seed as one of the ingredients. Does anybody have a recipe like that?

WGH

Re: Butter Bean Receipes
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:10 am »
This recipe is fabulous, I made a pot this week and it gets better every day. I think this recipe will work well for butter beans too:

1 pound dried cannellini beans (about 2 cups), rinsed and picked over 
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil , plus extra for drizzling 
6-8 ounces pancetta or fresh bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (see note) 
1 large onion , chopped medium (about 1 1/2 cups) 
2 medium celery ribs , cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup) 
2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup) 
8 medium garlic cloves , peeled and crushed 
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth   
3 cups water   
2 bay leaves   
1 bunch kale or collard greens (about 1 pound), stems trimmed and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups loosely packed) 
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained and rinsed 
1 sprig fresh rosemary   
 Ground black pepper   
8 slices country white bread , each 1 1/4 inches thick, broiled until golden brown on both sides and rubbed with garlic clove (optional) 

1. Dissolve 3 tablespoons salt in 4 quarts cold water in large bowl or container. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Heat oil and pancetta in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pancetta is lightly browned and fat has rendered, 6 to 10 minutes. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 10 to 16 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, water, bay leaves, and soaked beans. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until beans are almost tender (very center of beans will still be firm), 45 minutes to 1 hour.

3. Remove pot from oven and stir in greens and tomatoes. Return pot to oven and continue to cook until beans and greens are fully tender, 30 to 40 minutes longer. I turned the oven down to 200-225 degrees and cooked the stew for another 4 hours.

4. Remove pot from oven and submerge rosemary sprig in stew. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and rosemary sprig and season stew with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, use back of spoon to press some beans against side of pot to thicken stew. Serve over toasted bread, if desired, and drizzle with olive oil.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 11:32 am »
WOW! That sounds great! Thank you so much!

Did you ever have beans & greens? It's a mixture of escarole & cannellini beans. I can get the recipe for you.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:04 pm »
Sure, post the escarole recipe, a person can't have too many beans and greens recipes.

Wayne

jmc207

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:37 pm »
Here's one I found that uses celery seed. I've never had baked Lima or Butter Beans, generally just fresh or frozen beans boiled, and served with butter, pepper and maybe a little onion and/or garlic. Many also add ham or bacon, but I usually prefer them without these. I like the fresher, simpler flavor.

Baked Lima Beans Recipe:

Ingredients

* 1 pkg. or 2 boxes frozen lima beans
    * 1 lg. onion
    * 1 lg. pepper
    * 1/2 c. brown sugar
    * 2 tsp. celery seed
    * 1 can whole tomatoes
    * 1/4 lb. butter
    * 1/2 bottle ketchup

Directions

1. Cook beans according to package directions; drain.
   2. Add onions, pepper, limas, brown sugar, celery seed and ketchup.
   3. Dot with butter. Pour tomatoes over top and bake at 375 degrees for
   4. 1 hour with lid on and 1 hour with lid off.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/64549/baked-lima-beans.html
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2010, 06:25 pm by jmc207 »