Bonfire cookery

Martyn

Bonfire cookery
« on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:39 pm »
This is something that might appeal to the "outdoors" types...

On Saturday I built a bonfire to dispose of some of fallen timber that isn't suitable for burning indoors. By Sunday morning I had a sizeable mound of ash covering lots of hot embers. This reminded me of when we used bonfire embers to bake potatoes in foil when I was a kid. Well, waste not, want not...

Back in the house, I prepared the essence of a lamb stew - seared chunks of lamb in butter with garlic, onions, celery, various root vegetables, mushroom, oregano...whatever I had to hand. I added a handful of whole peppercorns and some shallots and covered the whole lot with a mixture of stock and red wine. I should mention that this was in a cast iron pan with a matching lid. I then covered the lid with a layer of heavy duty foil, mostly to keep it reasonably clean.

Back at the bonfire, I scraped away the embers until I reached the ground below, set the pan on the ground and covered it with embers. Eight hours later I had the tastiest stew imaginable, rich with caramelised onion and red wine. Eaten with chunks of hot, crisp bread, this was a wonderful way to end a February day.

If you decide to give this a try, you'll need to experiment with the amount of stock and the cooking time as well. I probably left the pan in the embers for too long - even with day-old embers. The liquid had reduced considerably, although no doubt that contributed to the richness.

Feel free to use this thread to describe your own "bonfire cookery" experiences and recipes. You may have a favourite Dutch oven or Aga recipe that would work well in a campfire, pre-barbecue environment too...

MaxCast

Re: Bonfire cookery
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:09 pm »
I have not done that.  I would be worried I can't get in there and look, stir, taste  :D
I do love cooking on an open fire when we go camping using a tripod.  Remember to double layer your foil for best results.  Leather gloves work best for turning and rotating things.
A few things that we like camping:

Soaked corn on the cob.  Cook these first and put in a cooler until the rest is done.  Alternate method, peal add butter and wrap in foil.

Potatoes.  Cube up and add lots of butter, garlic, salt, peper, thyme, rosemary or what ever you like.  Wrap in foil and turn frequently.

Garlic bread.  Wrap in foil turn frequently.  Even better when you add a fire cooked burger between two pieces of garlic bread.

Smores  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Bonfire cookery
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm »
Bump

There's gotta be more to this method of cooking.  aa