Roaster question...

gray49

Roaster question...
« on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:46 pm »
Hello...
I have been roasting for a little more than a year...
My Fresh Roast has served me very well...But I really do need
a larger capacity roaster...
My choice has come down to the Behmor 1600 and the Gene Cafe...
Both are available at...http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.html...
I have read everything that I can get my hands on about both models...
Reading just gets you so far...
If anybody has any practical experience with either roaster your insight
would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you...
Peace...
Stuart

bummrush

Re: Roaster question...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:45 am »
throughout 12 yrs or so of roasting,the behmor is by far the best ive used,just the fact it an do a pound is nice although to be honest 12 ,14 ozs work a bit better,considering performance, price, customer service,and noise levels are very low with it so you easily can judge roast level by first and second crack,its also good at smoke suppression although you roast coffee there will be smoke,thats just the way it is,but its actually low in the behmor and   works as advertised,its just really nice to do a decent amount instead of measly 5,6 oz loads.

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2009, 06:40 am »
My next one will be the Behmor one.   I'm in the same boat you are on this.  I've owned Fresh Roast 8, then the Nesco( used to be Zach and Dani's ), and i currently have the IRoast II....  My brother and close friend own and love the Behmor-  seems to be the better one if going by bang for the buck.  If I remember correctly it has not been out quite as long as the other one.  Both will likely work well for you.

Happy shopping.

Rob S.

gray49

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:54 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies...
The only thing holding me back from the Behmor is what sounds...(reads)...like
its inability to handle darker roasts well...I frequently...(depending on the beans)...roast
well into the 2nd crack...Not text book roasting...But I like the freedom to mess it up
all by myself...Any comments on the Behmor's dealing with darker roasts?
Peace...
Stuart

mikef

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2009, 05:51 pm »
I've been using the Behmor for a few months now, and I'm very satisfied with it. In my home, I get better results roasting 12-14 ounces at a time rather than a full pound. I like to go just into 2nd crack.

To get darker roasts, you need to extend the roasting time. You can do this by roasting less than the indicated amount - i.e., program the machine for 1 pound but only roast 8 or 10 ounces. The Behmor sets length of roast by the weight programmed. You could then listen for 2nd crack (easy to hear because the Behmor is so quiet) and hit the cooling cycle when you want to.

Mike Fox