Sub integration w/TS2s

calsaint

Sub integration w/TS2s
« on: 8 Jan 2003, 03:28 pm »
Hi Louis.

I've been expirimenting recently with my Rava sub and TS2s and how everything is wired up. For a few months I had the TS2s running full range, 3db down at 69 as you say, with the sub filling in the bottom crossed over at ~50hz.  Just last night I hooked it all up using the high pass on the sub ... definitely a different sound in that before I was having a tough time taming the bass at right around the crossover point and a little ways up. I'll have to play around with it for awhile to see if I like it better this way, but I was interested in your opinion. I know things like this are impacted by gear/room/cable/personal taste, but do you typically send a full signal to the mains?

Louis O

Sub integration w/TS2s
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2003, 02:56 am »
Hi Steve,

Most plate amps have a high pass filter set at 125Hz. If your does I would stick to running the mains full range. Try experimenting with the subs cross-over between 60 to 80Hz and listen for the best blend. Also I like setting the volume of the sub just enough to get the bass foundation. Try different placements for your sub as well. Generally I like the sub in front of my listening position.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again and have a very Happy New Year,
Louis

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Best placement for sub
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:13 pm »
Here is a recommendation that I found truly works well.
  If possible, place the sub [in] your listening position. Then walk around the room till you find the spot where the bass fills-in the best and has the best sound. Put the sub in that location and you should get the same results when you are in your listening spot.
  Sad part is.....sometimes the best sound is on a stairway or some other impractical location but a little experimentation will yield the best placement for you.
  If you try this, let me know how you make out.

calsaint

Sub integration w/TS2s
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:06 pm »
thanks to both of you for your thoughts on the matter. I had heard of that integration technique Bill, but somehow I had forgotten about it. probably makes sense for me to give it a shot as there have been plenty of changes in my system since I got my sub. Interesting expirement if nothing else.
I wonder if the lady is going to like having the sub right next to the hallway, or the dining room table, if that's where it sounds best. hmmm
Some day we'll buy that house that has my dedicated listening room ..................

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Sub integration w/TS2s
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:15 pm »
I know the feeling about having equipment in less than ideal locations. Lucklu I have a dedicated listening room in my home now so it's not much of an issue.
  I will also be playing around with powered subs integrated with Louis' TS speakers. Right now I have to install a sub-out on the RAM 301 before I can experiment with powered subs. (A few resistors, wires and sold, no big deal). If the Omega speakers become a big hit with the RAM 301 I may have to have the sub output a standard. Time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

Louis O

Sub integration w/TS2s
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:32 pm »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip as well. I'll give it a go at the shop.

Thanks again,
Louis