Silver Rock Signature Knob
« on: 11 Oct 2009, 12:50 am »
Just ordered this for my BP26 ...

Available:
Code: NOB_C37_C
Price: $485.00
Shipping Weight: 0.50 pounds

Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!

:wink: :wink: :o
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2009, 02:15 am by SFOX »

srb

Re: Silver Rock Signature Knob
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:56 am »
$485.00?

Steve

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:59 am »
$485.00?

Steve
Yeah I thought maybe I missed the  :wink:

some young guy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2009, 02:29 am »
I'd love to hear your impressions... never seen (or heard) any up close myself.  :o

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 05:58 pm »
Just ordered this for my BP26 ...

Available:
Code: NOB_C37_C
Price: $485.00
Shipping Weight: 0.50 pounds

Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!

:wink: :wink: :o

:scratch:

ian.ameline

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2009, 08:38 pm »
I think you'll need one for the balance control too.

(I couldn't type that and keep a straight face :-) )

maxwalrath

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2009, 09:24 pm »
$485.00?

Steve

C37 is ungodly pricey.  If you got the cash and want to (possibly) squeeze the last fraction of a percent of performance out of your system, who knows...

KeithA

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:10 pm »
$485.00?

Steve

C37 is ungodly pricey.  If you got the cash and want to (possibly) squeeze the last fraction of a percent of performance out of your system, who knows...

:o :o

SFOX

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:41 am »
Thinking about coating my BP26 entirely ...

C37 LACQUER

... two types of C37 lacquer. The 22?C version is recommended on items at room temperature such as driver membranes, phone cartridges, cables, wood enclosures, etc... The 35?C version is recommended where the temperature is higher.

Basic Manual for C37 Lacquer

Please thin to an amount that makes you able to paint thin layers. (Add 20 to 100 % thinner, dependent on age, temperature and way of brushing). As thinner you may use pure gum turpentine or any other thinner for oil based varnish. If you paint with air-brush, you should use a quick drying thinner.

Please wait a few days before applying the next coat; wait another day when the paint has dried to the touch.

Heat (a lamp) or sunlight will shorten drying time.

Only thin that amount of varnish that you will need during the next days. Otherwise it will prematurely cure as the molecules will move easily and transport the oxygen from outside to inside. Try to avoid too much air in the bottle, refill to smaller bottles if necessary. You can also use Bloxygen (www.bloxygen.com) when you live in USA.

You will notice that the sound will change rapidly during the first weeks. It will be settled after about 10 weeks, with a tendency to improve even after months and years. Hence the long term quality will be superb.

aa

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2009, 12:19 pm »
I had to Google it just to make sure it wasn't a joke.For me it's snake oil all the way to the bank.
But who am I to say. :duh:

john1970

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:48 am »
I had to Google it just to make sure it wasn't a joke.For me it's snake oil all the way to the bank.
But who am I to say. :duh:

I would have to agree with this viewpoint.

some young guy

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:01 am »
When this article came out in 6Moons, the folks at Reference Audio Mods got very upset with me. http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/edge4/edge4_3.html I had nothing to do with the article, but I have to say that they have had a lot of press about it.  8)

srb

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:15 am »
"Half-a-thou" sounds even more vulgar than $485.00

It's like the old Jack-In-The-Box commercial where a guy at a trade show is trying to sell his chicken nugget evaluation services for $25K a nugget.  "Any takers?" says Jack.  "No" he replies, "but I only need one!"

some young guy, congratulations on a mention and link on 6moons.com!

Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:27 am »
C37 as well as the Silver Rock knobs have been around for a while. I have considered trying the C37 on our wooden knobs but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I am all for wood knobs (as well as chassis) and feel they have their place both visually and sonically.
 Has anyone out there tried their silver resistors? Last I knew they started at about $60 each to maybe $200? Just curious if anyone has any in a component or speaker.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:30 am »
When this article came out in 6Moons, the folks at Reference Audio Mods got very upset with me. http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/edge4/edge4_3.html I had nothing to do with the article, but I have to say that they have had a lot of press about it.  8)

Scott,

You clearly need to raise your prices  :lol:

Anand.